Glock Talk banner

New From Ruger: The Ruger Precision Rifle

4910 Views 66 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  plp
New From Ruger: The Ruger Precision Rifle
By Jeremy S on July 18, 2015

Coming soon to a dealer near you — as soon as this week, actually — is a brand new rifle from Ruger that’s taking aim at the high-end, ultra-expensive, ultra-accurate chassis rifle market. Oh, except that full MSRP on the “Ruger Precision Rifle” in .308 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, or .243 Win is only $1,399.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/07/jeremy-s/new-from-ruger-the-ruger-precision-rifle/

http://www.ruger.com/micros/rpr/models.html

Interesting for the price. SJ 40
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Gospel Carrier
532 Posts
Agreed the 308 or perhaps the 6.5 if one really enjoyed handloading. SJ 40
On Ruger's website, it was made mention of this rifle being accurate to 1,600 yards. What caliber, what ammunition?

Patriot Ordinance Factory, POF, also has this type of weapon, for considerably higher cost...

· Man, I'm Pretty
32,629 Posts
It seems to me that "Ruger" and "Precision" mix about as well as oil and water. ;)

I'm sure it will be a solid rifle though.
Yeah, they seem to be pretty hit or miss.

Wait, what did I say? :rofl:

Regards,
Happyguy :)

· Registered
1,104 Posts
It seems to me that "Ruger" and "Precision" mix about as well as oil and water. ;)

I'm sure it will be a solid rifle though.
As much as I like and own Rugers, I have to agree on this. LOL. This rifle does nothing for me, but if their accuracy claims are true, not a bad price. Interesting caliber choices too. Hopefully they add some other long range calibers to the mix. Looking at the platform though, they'd probably all be short action. I will most definitely pass on this one.

· Huge Member
12,379 Posts

· Registered
3,566 Posts

· Fartacus
1,212 Posts
I'd call them accurate, but not precision. They're pretty crude compared to some higher end rimfires.
Totally agree. But for the price...the only way to get significantly better accuracy is to spend two to three times as much (or more). With the right ammo mine gets between 1 1/2 & 2" at 50 yards, and that satisfies me. I can't afford to do much better than that anyway.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

· Registered
131,436 Posts
Totally agree. But for the price...the only way to get significantly better accuracy is to spend two to three times as much (or more). With the right ammo mine gets between 1 1/2 & 2" at 50 yards, and that satisfies me. I can't afford to do much better than that anyway.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, it's certainly an accurate pistol, especially for the money.

· Registered
16,885 Posts
I consider this to be divine intervention. I went to a gun show today and was thaaat close to getting a Remington 700 in .308, but something in the back of my mind said no, this isn't what you really want.

This looks to be more what I have in mind, a dedicated bench rifle rather than having to customize an all purpose utility rifle for bench shooting.

There is a 1000 yard range about an hour's drive from here that requires members qualify for the various ranges before they can shoot there. I've held off because while I love my milsurps and can get lucky from time to time at distance, am under no illusions any of them are acceptable for real precision shooting.

In spite of the views of many, I have lots of Ruger firearms and consider them all great for what they are, in their price point.

· Banned
17,266 Posts
Looks like a winner... Then again most any bolt gun does what I ask, ie meat on the table accuracy in hunting.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.