Glock 19 New found respect for the Glock 19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ECVMatt, Oct 25, 2020.

1. ECVMatt

ECVMatt

When I bought my first Glock the only model available was the 17. I guess that gun made an impression, because from there on I have alway gone with the 17 sized frame. I generally hunt, camp, and explore in the deserts and the mountains, so I saw a full size as an advantage. I carried my 34 for years and before that my original 17.

A while back I bought a Gen 3 Glock 19 on sale and it just sort of languished in the safe. I have pretty big hands and it just never fit right. Then I picked up an Agency Arms Glock 30 and it fit like a glove. That got me thinking about the 19 in the safe and I compared the two guns. I realized that I needed to remove the finger groves and slightly undercut the trigger guard. After just a few minutes of work, the Glock 19 felt like a different gun.

When I took the gun shooting I found it shot almost same/same with my 17 but was just a bit easier to carry around. So I added a light, got a Tenicor ARX LUX (Both work equally well on my G45) and ended up loving the package. I just got back from spending a few days in the desert and carried it the whole time. It is easy to conceal under a t-shirt, doesn't bother me or my seat when in the truck, and is easy to draw and shoot from the holster. All in all it is an excellent field pistol that works just as well as a CCW in town.

While I realize I am hardly the first person to figure this out, I am surprised it took me so long. I love shooting my Glocks but never gave this frame size a good go. Besides being a long and somewhat rambling post, I hope it is a reminder to go through the safe from time to time and reevaluate those soiled doves in the back corners of the safe. You never know what might come of it.

IMG_0258.jpg IMG_0247.jpg

2. El Pistolero

El Pistolero bene vivere Silver Member

7,850 ft up in the New Mexico Rocky Mountains
    "I hope it is a reminder to go through the safe from time to time and reevaluate those soiled doves in the back corners of the safe. You never know what might come of it."
    A very good suggestion.

3. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

An iconic model within the arguably most iconic brand of the past 100 yrs

4. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

7E512BA9-9B8B-439B-980A-219F108C2BFF.jpeg Glock 19 is my favorite do everything pistol.

5. billorights

billorights

A little difference makes a surprising change doesn't it? I didn't like the feel of the G27 I had, but when the 19 Gen4 came out I picked one up and it felt so different I bought one. I did grind off the finger grooves, hate those on any gun grip. Now It's just right.

6. yep380

yep380

I recently acquired a 19.5 through the blue label program (open for vets ‘til Veterans Day - hurry!). I was a fan of the finger grooves on my 26, so I was skeptical that I’d like the gen 5 grip.

Well, I love the gen 5 grip. It seems to feel a little thinner all around and it fits my hand like a glove. The 19 is the perfect size. Since giving it a workout with hollow points at the range, I’ve been carrying it IWB and I’m finding it conceals easily.

Yep, the 19 is my new favorite Glock and I’m seeing that finger grooves ain’t all that.

7. rincar

rincar

I like them all finger grooves or not.

8. RaiderSE

RaiderSE

I own a bunch of Glocks. I never could warm up to the 19 because of the finger grooves on the short grip. The Finger grooves were ok on my Gen 4 34 (liked it alot) but the grooves took up just enought space that my pinky was on the edge of the grip frame. I looked at a Gen 5 19 and took it home. It has become maybe jsut my favorite glock because it fits my hand fine now and does everything my 17 Gen 5 did. My 45 Gen 5 Does, My 19X does , my 34 Does and the grip is no longer than it has to be. Interesting that you found your niche with the G19 when you removed the finger grooves.

El Pistolero likes this.
  9. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

The NYPD the largest Police agency uses the 19.

Seven High, El Pistolero and Dynactus like this.
  10. Dribear

Dribear

My favorite is my Gen 2 G23. Maybe when I move back to America, from liberal Cali that may change with the new .40 cal glocks.

sonoma, alnicoG22, Toocool45 and 2 others like this.
  11. GlockyQ

GlockyQ G43 Fanboy

I also like mine, with or without finger grooves. ;)
    86B4E84E-E9AE-4031-96BF-A6E1B3ECF3CE.jpeg

El Pistolero and yep380 like this.
  12. Maxx702

Maxx702 Rottweilers making America great again!

I have big hands too. I put the large beavertail back straps on my G19.4 and I can shoot the hell out of that thing.

El Pistolero likes this.
  13. Pontoof

Pontoof

I reckon I like G19s too. Once I got one(Gen4) and lived with it for a while I got another one. Got one for my son. Ended up with four 19s of my own, one Gen4 and three Gen3s.

My fave is a Gen 3 Vickers model with the RTF2 grip. Carrying it right now (grey frame).

There is nothing else in my safe that I carry on a daily basis. (That may change,maybe,now that the P365XL is in the house.)

The "soiled doves" in the back of my safe are 1911s. Well-loved and used but shot rarely now and carried only ceremonially(weddings, funerals,July4th,March 29).

motorcycleman likes this.
  14. viva la Reagan

viva la Reagan The Revolution

recently, i have experienced a similar circular evolution. the g19 was my first glock and my edc for the better part of two decades. over time, i migrated to the 26 (smaller form factor for concealment & comfort while carrying). next was the 27 (hey, same size as the 26 but in .40?!? caliber is king, right? right?).

a couple of years ago, i jumped on the 43 bandwagon, particularly due to the slim, single stack form factor for deep concealment and comfort. today, i still carry the 43, especially when in casual wear like shorts and a t-shirt. the slim size is tough to beat for a guy with a surgically repaired back.

in spite of these changes, the 19 never lost its status as my go-to nightstand weapon of choice. as of a few months ago, due to the civil unrest rampant throughout the country, the 19 has found its way back on my belt as a carry option, due to its capacity advantages vs. the 43. as i’ve come full circle, i am reminded of why the 19 was, and continues to be, my favorite handgun, bar none. ymmv.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. 1canvas

1canvas

I have a few Glocks and always favored larger calibers, but as I got older and arthritis in my hands I needed lighter caliber guns and started moving to the 9mm for carry. About 6 months ago I bought my first Gen4 19, I’ve had a 26 and 17 for years. The 19 seems to be the perfect size for carry, I carry IWB appendix and can carry it under a T shirt.
    As far as wilderness I still prefer something with a bit more octane like my 23 or 20.

16. FoatieFiveACP

FoatieFiveACP

If 9mm is your carry caliber, then the G19 is an extremely good way to carry it. I have had 3 of them, and loved them all. They have a very good balance of being quite concealable, and carry capacity.

17. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Where printing isn't an issue, bigger is better for me. I'd never CC a 19 or a 17 so in the woods, I want the bigger grip.

18. Paul73

Paul73

It is a good way to look at it.
    Carry caliber really depends upon your state restrictions. 15 rounds of 9mm is better than 10 rounds of 10mm or .45 - but only if your state allows you to carry such a mag. In MA an old pre-ban hi capacity mag goes now from $140 to $175, and you may get headache if some cop will decide to harass you on that topic. So, if you are restricted to a 10 round mag, then a hi capacity benefit of a G19/17 evaporates. And, here comes, say, G29 or a similar compact 10mm. Etc.

19. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Are they still using the obscenely heavy trigger springs?

20. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I remember the first time I ever heard of the Glock 19. Back in the heyday of the cocaine wars in Miami, the DEA guys went wild over them and were carrying two 19's because they held lots of rounds and were light enough to do that. I read about it in Police Magazine. And firing 30 rounds before reloading was oh so Miami Vice style cool.

Buckshot Barry likes this.