New Ford small truck (like, original Ranger size) coming (?)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Grabbrass, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

The original "Ranger" was a trim package for F Series. I had a '69 F250 Camper Special Ranger. Nice truck, but underpowered with the 360.
    The Courier was a small truck before the Ranger series that started in '83.

Ford pickups...
    https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...al-history-of-fords-compact-pickups/?slide=11

The_Dan likes this.
  2. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

Amen!!
    But I do like modern computer controlled engines. They are quite bulletproof. At least in my experience. And overdrive trannys are a nice improvement.

I only view any vehicle for their utility purpose and it's really hard to find that nowadays.

mike from st pe likes this.

3. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

My first car was a 1981 F150 Ranger 2 door, long bed, stick shift with the mighty 300 straight 6!

Somewhere that truck is still running and driving...it’s still ugly and slow as hell and not exactly what a 16 year old dreamed of...but I would love to have it back!

4. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

I wouldnt want a turbo 4 in the new compact... What i was getting at, with the mid and full size trucks theyre never going to get the mpg that you should get in a new compact.

5. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the GAUs gleam
    The old tiny compact trucks didn't get that kind of mileage. I don't understand how you think a "new compact" that is the size of a early 2000's full size regular cab truck is going to get 22/30 on the highway?

Slackinoff likes this.
  6. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

I had a 93 Ranger regular cab 4x4 4.0 V6 and it was a beast in the snow. I grew up out in the country and one year, we got four or five, 10 to 14 inch snows in a month. I enjoyed picking up stranded co-workers and the only one on the road except for many full size, jacked-up trucks with fat tires that dont work in the snow in the ditches stuck. I do miss those little swing out windows. Dont remember the mpg, i dont think it was great. The bad, it was cramped driving and the body was rusting bad at year 4 and got rid of it. I had a 2013 F150 supercab STX 4x4 with rubber floor and base v6. Plenty of power but could only average 18 mpg. Now that im at 'mid life", i still want a capable 4x4, with atleast mid 20's mpg city but i dont want to be elbowing my passenger.

tuica likes this.
  7. RPK Clone

RPK Clone

I currently own a 2004 ranger 4wd with 114, 000 miles. I hope to have it a few more years anyway before I get something new. But I'm torn. I love the new rangers but not sure the new price is worth it. 33 grand for a 4wd small truck??
    I'd love a tacoma but doubt I could ever afford one.
    For now, I'll just try to keep this one on the road.

8. tuica

tuica

I’m about to head out for errands in my 1990 Nissan truck. The only vehicle I’ve purchased brand new. 215 K - (I share mileage with a Civic and 1978 BMW motorcycle).

Four cylinder. Five speed manual. I like shifting! Roll up windows. No AC or radio (was going to have an aftermarket installed, but never did - I don’t need electronic audio stimulation every second of my waking hours).

I can do most of the mechanical myself. Sure some other lucky owner will be driving it when I’m in the boneyard.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    AK_Stick, Berto and John_AZ like this.
  9. Berto

Berto woo woo

My understanding is the crash regs have mostly eliminated the possibility of old tinny little trucks like my d-21 (which gets 24-30 mpg with an old sohc 12 valve).
    I'm not sure how that reconciles with some of the tiny cars on the road, ****, take a miata and put a bed on it, I'd be all over that.

10. John_AZ

John_AZ

I sold my ‘89 Nissan in 2003 with 290k to landscapers for $1200. I’m sure it’s still hauling mesquite to the dump today.

tuica likes this.
  11. Struggle_Russ

Struggle_Russ

I'd be after a truck the size of a Nissan Hardbody, an original Ranger or original S10 size, with a Tesla style powerplant. Small truck for errands and light hauling like bikes or something, Home Depot/Lowe's stuff and doesn't need a gas station? Would be great imo.
    At least a better alternative to getting a truck the size of an F-150 that gets 18 mpg driven under _ideal_ conditions.

tuica, John_AZ and Berto like this.
  12. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

You should know by now, GT is a luddite's paradise. All vehicles, particularly American vehicles, were flawless back then, total crap now. The rose colored glasses prevent the recollection of rusted through body panels and floorboards, flooded carbs, cracking vinyl seats and roofs, and all manner of (very common) mechanical failures. They were easier to work on back then is true, but they needed to be.

That said, I do love the style of pre-1970's automobiles. They were unreliable, inefficient, and death traps in a crash, but they did have style.

13. Dragline

Dragline

Sounds like my 97 Tacoma which I held onto just as a beach beater and to take stuff to the dump. Looks like crap because the sun and salt air mostly ate the paint job but it runs just fine. Plus the AC gets so cold it’ll drive you out, much needed on days like today when it’s 96 in the shade and humidity drives the heat index close to 110.

Gray Dood likes this.
  14. Glock1963

Glock1963

I bought a new 2019 Nissan Frontier a few months ago that I’m really liking so far. It’s a 5 speed manual with no power locks or windows. It’s only 2wd. It has am/fm radio but no cd player. The only real options it came with is ac and cruise, both things I wanted and appreciate. It has a 4 cylinder engine. Whiter than white with no fancy trim whatsoever. The bed is 6 feet long.

I’m 6’1” and weigh 220 pounds and it fits me like a glove, even without a tilt steering wheel. It is their “king cab” model. You’d basically have to be a child to ride comfortably in the back. I wouldn’t waste my time if you routinely have more than one passenger. I’d go with the 4 door crew cab model then.

I acknowledge that it’s probably not for everyone but I am really pleased with it. I’m the kinda guy who often needs a truck and prefers the ride of one. I just don’t need to do any towing or feel the need for a fancy interior with heated seats or a tailgate that configures 20 different ways. My last truck was a 1999 Chevy Silverado with a V8, auto and 2wd. I kept it exactly 20 years. I hope to do the same with this one.

15. tuica

tuica

An additional advantage to those old stripped down trucks? Parking Lot Criminals pretty much pass us by. Especially with no sound system. Wadda’ they going to steal? Rear view mirror? Steering wheel? The manual Parking Brake handle?

mike from st pe and Berto like this.
  16. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I thought the whole point was to make a smaller than full size truck. The earlier Mazda trucks (on which the Ranger was based) with a 4 cylinder and a 5 speed overdrive trans used to get 27/37 MPG.

I've had two older Rangers (1994 & 1998) and they were great little trucks. I'd like to see someone make a simple, basic, small to mid-side truck with two doors and just a single or an extended cab to hold more "Stuff".

17. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Unfortunately no. Though there's nothing wrong with the new Ranger, if it fits your needs. This was about a small truck the size of the 1980's Ranger (see image), but somehow turned out to be an official Ford Truck® emoji, whatever good that is to anyone. The times we live in. Sorry about that.

[​IMG]

mike from st pe likes this.
  18. Lagamor

Lagamor

My ‘16 Colorado is near the size of an 80’s truck. But I was standing next to a co-workers new Toyota Corella and they’ve grown too. Gotta be at least three feet longer than a 80’s model.

19. John_AZ

John_AZ

075A0FC5-89A0-49F6-9B0D-A8967A9F6A75.jpeg

Amen, brother!

G19Tony and Glock1963 like this.