New Ford small truck (like, original Ranger size) coming (?)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Grabbrass, Jul 16, 2019.

1. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Last October I went to buy a Toyota Tacoma and came home with an F150 Super Crew.

I get 20 mpg and I can comfortable pull a 7500# trailer.

I made the correct decision.

cbetts1 likes this.
  2. Kith

Kith

you can have some of that. will be special order and cost more.

it costs more because no one wants that. people talk it all the time but no one ever actually buys it.

you want your manual windows, non power seats, and manual transmission? should be able to pay extra and get them. (again - no one who will actually buy things wants that or they wouldnt have to go out of their way to make it for you)

analog dials? maybe...probably not though. they would have to redesign the entire dash electronics to give you that.

you want simple? simple is what everyone else is buying. that is simple from a mass production standpoint, also the cheapest thing is to buy what they make the most of.

if you bought a fleet of vehicles you would have the buying power to leverage to get the cost per unit down to closer to what you want - but for a one off? you are paying more for less vehicle chasing an antiquated idea.

Slackinoff, wanderinwalker and Joe! like this.

3. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

that photo is the current ranger imo. I read some other articles, many speculate its the european focus based truck, others something different. Plus calling it a courier or f100. Tacomas prices are TOO much. Many people loved their little trucks with a bed and good mpg (by 90's standards). There's no reason for them to have stopped making them. The new class of compact trucks should get 22 city 30 hwy. Cant be pulled off in the full size/ranger/colorado. Needs a true 4x4 with low range and a 6ft bed as an option. Likely end up with some awd and a mini turbo 4, which i dont want. I surprised Subaru hasnt come out with a truck on the outback/accent frame with cab height like a forrester. Again needs a true low range, 4x4 option. Must be able to close the gate on a atv.

4. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the GAUs gleam

If you don’t want a turbo 4, how do you expect a full size truck to get 22/33 mpg?

Slackinoff likes this.
  5. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

Ford was selling plenty of Rangers with the old body style and they had the tooling paid off, but they were greedy wanting to sell more F-150's. My wife insisted we trade our 98 Ranger on a 09 Escape and listened to me moan for the next several years and then we got a 2012 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat that she selected and now complains if I drive on a gravel road. One year earlier and a Ranger XLT for me. So I just don't drive the F-150 much. It will last forever.

6. fg17

fg17

I'd like to see that to. but considering the cheapest new compact-sub compact bare bones car on the market is around 14k I think its doubtful.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g25105816/cheapest-new-cars-2019/?slide=10

7. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

You conveniently left out the last sentence of my post about this not happening but don't stop a good rant. :)

What you list is indeed how vehicles are sold in the US. But not in other parts of the world.

Hyundai, Kia, Mahindra, Toyota and others manage to make and sell a pretty wide assortment of small body trucks worldwide without the need to add the DL, DLX, ABC-DEF, "Luxury" packages added in the US to maximize dealer /manufacturer profit.

It's not that "people won't buy " simpler packages, they're not even offered without special order, or fleet purchase, which is the same thing.

I think they should be.

cbetts1 and VwvertLardnerK like this.
  8. as400guy1

as400guy1

No one wants to build small trucks because they can't justify tje huge pricetags they put on them.

cbetts1 and varget like this.
  9. jmaj

jmaj

The new Ford Ranger is definitely small, compared side by side with my 2017 Silverado. As salesmen quickly point out, the gas mileage difference between large and small isn't big enough to matter unless gas prices skyrocket. My interest in downsizing is ease of handling in tight spaces.
    I owned a 2005 F-150 XL, manual seats and crank windows. Once I got stopped (cop thought I might be intoxicated because I was loafing 7 mph under the speed limit on I-44 and when I let the truck wander so that the right side wheels crossed the white line, boom, probable cause) and smiled with amusement as I had to reach across the cab to manually open the window.

10. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

I luv my Colorado. Perfect size and it's downright fast from a stoplight with the 8spd trans and 308hp.

Lagamor likes this.
  11. Tvov

Tvov

lol, I had to read your post a couple times. Yes, Rangers couldn't haul or tow a whole lot, but they were known to be reliable and easy to fix.

I had a '85 and a '93. 1985 Ranger was base model, stripped - down to the push button AM radio! Truck never failed me. Only thing I did to it was add helper springs to firm up the rear suspension - Rangers were known as tail draggers with anything in the bed. 1993 Ranger was also stripped, but had the V6 and 4 wheel drive. I added a snowplow, and plowed with that truck for almost 13 years before it literally started falling apart (snowplowing is hell on pickup trucks).

Except for maybe adding more tow / hauling capacity, I don't think there is anything Ford could have done to make a better small pickup truck.

Toyota and Nissan must have had parties when Ford made the (I think) idiotic decision to stop selling Rangers in the USA.

If the new Rangers are anywhere near as good as the old ones, Ford will have a winner.

RPK Clone and VwvertLardnerK like this.
  12. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

I've driven two Rangers (2x and a 4x). Loved 'em both.

Bring it on Ford.

13. OUSooner

OUSooner

Probably never see them this size again.

Mitsubishi mighty max
    [​IMG]

Chevy Luv
    [​IMG]

Isuzu
    [​IMG]

R13, Lagamor, John_AZ and 2 others like this.
  14. varget

varget

drove the "new" much touted ranger. plenty of power but HUGE overall size as well as HUGE price, mid $30,000's.
    Only yuppies can afford these giant gas hogs.
    had a 2004 Frontier and it was "right sized" for me. nothing like that on the horizon. nobody even looks at price as they are only interested in the monthly payment and not how long the payments last. you can always roll over your "under water" ride into a new, huge, overpriced piece of computer loaded junk that nobody can fix.

John_AZ likes this.
  15. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

I don't know, but I have been looking for a base Tacoma. Prices start around 25K.

16. wlkjr

wlkjr

Self competition is why GM and Ford are not building a smaller cheaper truck. It would take sales away from the more expensive money maker. Same reason GM wouldn't allow Pontiac to build a two seater in the 60's, because it would dilute sales of the Corvette.
    The big 3 ignored sales of foreign cars until it was almost too late. If Kia starts to build a small cheap truck and it sells really well and eats into domestic sales, then look for GM, Ford and possibly Ram to get on board. Until the day sales of the big money makers makes a big decline or the economy really tanks, I'd doubt we'll see a small cheap truck. Just my opinion.

John_AZ likes this.
  17. PBCounty

PBCounty

A lot of what I have read has indicated that the new Bronco will have a removable top and doors. I hope that is the case.

18. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

19. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I do too... but I just read the opposite recently. I think Ford hasn’t made up it’s mind yet. Do they want to compete with Wrangler? Or take the easier road like Chevrolet and sell a bunch of regular mid sized SUVs with a classic nameplate like the Blazer.

I hope they commit and honor the legacy of the gen 1 Bronco.

jimcorbin and PBCounty like this.
  20. o2gt

o2gt

They announced an emogi of a truck this morning. They even made a cryptic video for it that came yesterday.