New Ford small truck (like, original Ranger size) coming (?)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Grabbrass, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Sorry if repeat/jambog. I did a search, didn't see.

https://jalopnik.com/fords-apparently-about-to-debut-its-new-small-truck-1836413078

I'd be looking at a Tacoma if I were shopping for a less-than-big truck. But more options for buyers is good. Competition is good.

[​IMG]

jimcorbin, LEO/Dad and Ramjet38 like this.
  2. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the GAUs gleam
    Doesn’t look Ranger sized. Looks like it’s a regular cab f-150.

3. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I would say “if they built that it would sell!!!” but Nissan, Toyota, and GM all made small 2 door trucks and honestly they didn’t sell very well. The Ranger was the best selling 2 door of all of them and it became unsustainable.

The Bronco version would be expensive. The Bronco is billed as a competitor to the Wrangler and they have a contract with Dana Axles to provide off road ready components... that won’t be cheap. Honestly I don’t think there is much of a market for a $40k small pickup.

I may be wrong, and I hope the Bronco is a huge success that does compete for some of the Wrangler market. I think some of the reasons people are willing to spend big money on Wranglers is that the top comes off and there is a huge aftermarket community...neither of which the Bronco will have when it rolls out. Time will tell

cbetts1, Willard, pgg00 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Z71bill

Z71bill

Knowing how smart Ford is -

Maybe it is as big as an F-150 on the outside - but has an interior, tow & haul ratings comparable to what a Ranger use to have.

Plus it will cost more than an F-150, get lower MPG than an F-150 and Ford will wonder why it didn't sell.

-JCN-, cbetts1, Willard and 6 others like this.
  5. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

I like it. Put in a 400 horse motor and six speed manual and I'd like to own one.

Dynactus, jimcorbin and Grabbrass like this.
  6. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

I don't think it is, but for all I know it could be. (Fender flares don't look right though) Obviously Ford wants to milk the fullsize F-150 look. But the photo I posted is just what accompanies the article. I offer no warranties or guarantees.

7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Hopefully they are better then yrs back. Often the small trucks only got slightly better milage, cost slightly less, couldn't haul anything really.
    I really wanted one. Got a F150 for a grand more 5x the pickup.
    It should get at least 20% better milage at 20% less $$$$

8. John_AZ

John_AZ

The only real “small” size truck (more mid) is the Nissan Frontier. Even the current model ones are bigger than the Nissans used to be.

The new “small trucks” are the size of the early 2000’s full size trucks.

I don’t need a truck to pull a horse trailer.

tuica, cbetts1, Willard and 4 others like this.
  9. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Obviously has some styling updates.

This is a “SVT” Single can someone put together. Looks awful similar to me. Certainly more similar than to that of a Ranger size vehicle.

Attached Files:

10. B C

B C

They need to make a cheaper truck, which is why the original Ranger was so popular. The cheaper Ranger is now $24K and it looks like a sub $20K truck, which it should be. They'd sell well with a base price of $19,000.

pugman, F14A, cbetts1 and 6 others like this.
  11. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Remember when you used to be able to throw an elbow up on the bedrail of a pickup truck? Now you can't see over some of them.

tuica, Berto, cbetts1 and 6 others like this.
  12. John_AZ

John_AZ

Yup. I had an 89 Nissan pickup. Loved it. Small, light, simple. Get it stuck? Could push it right out.

Now have a 2011 Frontier. Bigger, but the extra space behind the seats is nice, especially with the suicide doors. Manual windows and locks. Automatic transmission (wife can’t drive stick). For $8500 used it’s a hell of a truck for what I need. Perfect truck for pool guys, exterminators, or just someone who needs to haul crap to the dump every now and then

Not to mention, not only can I place my steel targets and rifle case into the bed of the truck, I can get them back out with my feet on the ground.

13. Joe!

Joe! one two three get loose now

Video in original link.

Would have been a terrible idea to make an announcement this week. C8 Corvette reveal is Thursday and would have buried it, press wise.

14. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

WTH is that?!? Ford/Tonka collab?

B C and Joe! like this.
  15. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Could it PLEASE have roll down windows, non power locks, non power seats, manual transmission, and simple analog dials instead of idiot lights and digital guages.

I don't want all the computer chipped technology you can fathom.

I'd like some return to simplicity that doesn't break easy or require a visit with NASA for a simple parts change.

Not gonna happen I'm betting.

Dragline, larry_minn, tuica and 12 others like this.
  16. Joe!

Joe! one two three get loose now

They did say small truck. :supergrin:

17. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

They just need to go back to making real trucks.

No power crap. Real mirrors and crank windows. Basic color and no trim. No plastic air dams or skirts. No carpet, Rubber floors. 8 ft bed. Trucks that are tools.

Even “contractor models” are loaded with unnecessary crap I don’t want to pay for just to haul junk and building materials.

pugman, bfg1971, Csv and 7 others like this.
  18. seamaster

seamaster

I'd buy that!

I've been thinking about the earlier toyota trucks and wished they still offered a smallish regular cab pick up that's great on gas.

I'd like one just like in that photo but prerunner with locking diff not 4x4. If it was diesel it would be ideal!!

19. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Which of the little trucks was great on gas?

I had a 99 S10, and an 01 Taco, and both got worse mileage than my 03 2500. Hell even my sisters 2wd taco didn’t break 26.

Unless you could get something like the VW TDI engine, most American diesels don’t get that great of mileage either.

The Colorado gets ok mileage, but even that is creeping up on the size of my 2500

Slackinoff likes this.
  20. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

When the title said size like the "original ranger", my first thought was to the F250 ranger my sister owned for a little while... (pre 1983 ranger)

Okay, so original ford ranger TRUCK, as apparently there was a 4 door sedan ranger before it moved over to the F series truck lines.

So yeah, does look kind of the same size as the original ford ranger pickups.