close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New finish revisited.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by paddle007, Mar 18, 2010.

1. paddle007

paddle007

A recent thread addressed this issue and I think there is new information regarding the tinifer hardening process.

FWIW I just did an amorers course March 16th. I don't claim to know it all but this is what we were taught. Glock has this year begun using a gas nitration method of hardening the slide and barrel. This is being done in Smyrna GA. The tenifer process apparently is too harmful to the enviroment and can't be done in the states. The "new" enviromentally friendlier process is supposed to be harder/more durable than tenifer.

Who really knows how it will hold up but apparently we will be the guinea pigs.

2. matteblack

matteblack

I learned the same thing during my September 09 Armorers class. Different process because of US law. Same durability or better, just different. NOTHING to worry about the Glock team made clear to us.

MB

3. voyager4520

voyager4520

Wow. Paint my face the color "wrong". Thanks for the info!

I have a G23 with the old finish(slick slide and black barrel), and a G27 with the new finish(matte slide, gray barrel). I can already tell that the G27 barrel is showing much less wear than the G23 barrel did at the same round count. The G23 barrel has wear exposing the metal at the front of the barrel hood, and the characteristic "smiley face" from the barrel going through the muzzle of the slide. The G27 barrel shows none of this. Though the finish on the G27 slide is showing more wear(slide peening) than the G23 slide did at the same round count. And the G27 extractor seems to have a less durable finish than the G23 extractor. I know the difference between the finish and the metal case hardening process, but that's the best I can describe it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010