Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

Do you think SIG Sauer won the MHS contest fair and square?

• Yes

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 5 17.2%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This might be old news for some, but I ordered a new OEM Gen5 extended slide stop and it definitely has a different finish than the one that came installed on the G26.5 I purchased a few months ago.

As you can see the finish is all but completely removed from the original. The extended slide release is a matt finish. It might not look like it in the picture, but it is, and it certainly feels less smooth than the original (almost like the parkerized finish on an AR receiver).

I hope it holds up at least as well as previous generations. I bought it for $10 from Midwestgunworks.com (shipping was $6.99 for this and some orange followers). That's still a little cheaper than some other places I looked. They just got them back in stock, so this should be the newest incarnation if the finishes were different previously.

As far as function is concerned, the original was just fine for live fire, but you may have noticed it is difficult to actuate dry firing with a magazine installed. This makes it drop with the magazine like previous generations (it drops VERY easy, more easily than I ever remember, so that may be good or bad). I don't know if everyone experiences the same thing, but that's what was happening on my Gen5. I haven't live fired it yet, but I'll update this later after I've had both time to shoot and some wear and tear to see how the finish holds up. Normally I don't care about the finishes on my Glocks, but since they have the nice nDLC coating, the controls might as well hold up as well in my opinion (at least until I get some proportional wear on my slide).

It's probably not worth it if you 1) don't use the slide stop as a slide release, especially if you 2) dry practice without a magazine installed (assuming you have a full-size grip), or 3) don't care about the warn finish.

Glock Gen5 extended slide release.jpg

Here's a Gen4 extended slide stop I used for years. It looks better than the Gen5 after a few months.

Gen4 extended vs Gen5 regular vs Gen5 extended slide stop.jpg

·
Registered
806 Posts
This might be old news for some, but I ordered a new OEM Gen5 extended slide stop and it definitely has a different finish than the one that came installed on the G26.5 I purchased a few months ago.

As you can see the finish is all but completely removed from the original. The extended slide release is a matt finish. It might not look like it in the picture, but it is, and it certainly feels less smooth than the original (almost like the parkerized finish on an AR receiver).

I hope it holds up at least as well as previous generations. I bought it for $10 from Midwestgunworks.com (shipping was $6.99 for this and some orange followers). That's still a little cheaper than some other places I looked. They just got them back in stock, so this should be the newest incarnation if the finishes were different previously.

As far as function is concerned, the original was just fine for live fire, but you may have noticed it is difficult to actuate dry firing with a magazine installed. This makes it drop with the magazine like previous generations (it drops VERY easy, more easily than I ever remember, so that may be good or bad). I don't know if everyone experiences the same thing, but that's what was happening on my Gen5. I haven't live fired it yet, but I'll update this later after I've had both time to shoot and some wear and tear to see how the finish holds up. Normally I don't care about the finishes on my Glocks, but since they have the nice nDLC coating, the controls might as well hold up as well in my opinion (at least until I get some proportional wear on my slide).

It's probably not worth it if you 1) don't use the slide stop as a slide release, especially if you 2) dry practice without a magazine installed (assuming you have a full-size grip), or 3) don't care about the warn finish.

View attachment 477256

Here's a Gen4 extended slide stop I used for years. It looks better than the Gen5 after a few months.

View attachment 477266
Yep, mine is the same on my 26/5. No problems with. Looking for an extended slide release.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
I see the accelerated wear on my Gen 5's that I attribute to holster wear. It seems like the slide release sticks out further than previous models accounting for the wear. It doesn't really bother me for a carry piece.

·
Registered
29,119 Posts
Over the years of getting factory slidestop lever assemblies from Glock, I've long noticed and accepted that the finish of them could vary from one time to the next. Sometimes it might vary within the same batch of parts.

Some were shiny black and smooth, some rough and matte-black and some had unevenly applied finishes (bare metal showing through in spots). I simply accepted the variability for how Glock seems to have occasionally changed either their process, or some give & take in the QC of the finish being applied. No biggie. As long as the wire springs were securely fastened, I didn't care about the appearance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts