New FFL Holder - Where to begin?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by RedRockGlock, Feb 13, 2010.

1. RedRockGlock

RedRockGlock Guest

So I have my license, did the inspection. Where to begin? Is there a magic list of wholesalers? Are any better than others? I thought about just doing transfers for a bit and try and figure out my options before trying to get on the selling wagon.

Any advice?

2. tshadow6

tshadow6

First, make several copies of your original, then put the original in a safe place. Then, find the address or fax number for SOG, AIM, and Century International and send them a copy of your FFL with an original signature on each copy. What state are you in? Any FFL in Washingtion D.C. should be able to make some money.

3. RedRockGlock

RedRockGlock Guest

Located in Texas. Thanks for the tips so far.

4. big68

big68

PM sent and forget about snail mail, emailing your licnese is the way to go. Scan it to your Computer and off you go. Set up your account on gunbroker, auction arms and so on. Don't forget to get your sales tax license.

5. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

What city?

Web site?

GT discount? (I am kidding)

:cool:

6. RedRockGlock

RedRockGlock Guest

Your offer is very generous. Unfortunately traveling at the moment. First time I haven't had to drive in while. Be back Tuesday. I'll PM you then and we'll go from there.

7. RedRockGlock

RedRockGlock Guest

I do have a website - frontlineguns.com. But there's nothing there other than a greeting.

GT Discount? LOL. Good one. I hope to be able to do that honestly, but right now we're just in startup phase.

8. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

your gonna have to have some kind of a gimmick to compete with others out there..

and if giving a 5 % discount to glock talk, ar15.com , etc is it, then do it ..

no one is going to buy anything from you if they can get it cheapeer from other companys ..

transfers might be done in person, but again youll have to be cheaper than everyone else out there..

9. sigpro357

sigpro357

carry some extras. Alot of stores are lacking in holsters and accessories such as lights. I'd carry Galco, Surefire, Crimson Trace. Maxpedition bags, Cambelback etc. Maybe some 5.11 clothing. Then carry a good solid selection of popular guns. Glock etc. Be competitively priced and stay on top of the pricing game. Good luck. Remember volume sales and good customer service, over few sales and high prices.

10. RedRockGlock

RedRockGlock Guest

Yes, I'm well aware of that. Right now, this is part time from my home. So very little overhead. Hoping that my limited costs and lack of this needing to be my primary source of income will keep me competative. Fortunately was able to get the FFL out of my home. But in the middle of a project at work that will finish up end of March. So won't be too serious until then. And I have a hunch my co-workers will keep me busy for a while.

But I honestly would love to be able to offer great deals to people, hope it works out that way. Stay tuned.

11. RedRockGlock

RedRockGlock Guest

Probably not going to go that full scale. But am contemplating lights and maybe some AR stuff. We'll see. Thank for the advice.

12. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

MY TOP TEN RULES!

1. Know your local shops!

2. Know their prices; know their mark up so you can guarantee you can beat local prices. Know what they carry and don't carry.

3. Know your area (hunting community? Tactical/police/ military/ defense community?)

4. For sure www.gunbroker.com What do you need to know about GB? Sell guns there that only fill certain niches that will not sell local. Sell High end stuff there. Sell collectibles. Watch GB for standard going prices................ect

5. Know where to fall back to when suppliers dry up on ammo (Wal-Mart/gun broker/ classic arms, ect) Try to keep ammo in stock for the guns you are selling, on hand. Only mark up ammo $2 dollars per box and buy in bulk. (Unless its rare or hard to get, then use your best judgement based on average sales on Gunbroker.)

6. Advertise locally! Newspaper/ signs/ bulletin boards ect.

7. Learn to build AR-15s from kits, www.del-ton.com is your friend! Then learn assesories and where to get them cheap. (rails/ optics/ stocks/ MAGPUL. Never rule out ebay for this.

8. Don't be greedy, you’re not going to get rich quick. $50.00-100.00 profit on a sale is good for your reputation when you are starting.

9. Again build a good rep. (Hard to do when dealing with crazy customers that want everything for nothing and think they are always right. So check the attitude and humble yourself for the sake of you business.)

10. Don't be afraid to recommend the competition to customers when you can't fill the order, immediately, or at all. It’s important you keep a good rep with the larger local dealers as a good guy. They will try to trash your rep. Cause you are stealing business cause of the first 9 rules.....:)

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  13. RedRockGlock

RedRockGlock Guest

Excellent

Already have #1 & 2 covered. Honestly, in my little nitch there's only 1 place I have to really compete with because it's a pawn shop too. Everyone elses prices are insane. like $80 to $100 the other places best price. I don't know if it's the costs involved in running their operation or greed. I'll soon find out.

#3 got a little of everyone

#4 - Will check on Gunrbroker/Auction Arms fees.

#5 - Won't have a storefront for a while I'm sure.

#6 - Will probably use board and such and Gun Shows maybe if
    I can compete with these people. Last time I wen to a gun
    show one dealer was selling Glocks below what most people
    could buy them for wholesale.

#7 - Definitely plan on building some ARs

#8 - Is the $50 mark a pretty standard mark-up? Or is it based on % or does everyone do it differently?

#9 - Hopefully crazy people will flock elsewhere. Working from my home I would hope a price would be agreed before the transaction to avoid crazies.

#10. Good advice.

14. big68

big68

I do well without gimmics. No overhead and straight up. Forget about gimmics, just do good business and forget about being cheapest. Hope to talk with you sometime. Best wishes

15. Flatulence

Flatulence 5X EMU Champion

Customer service is where it is at.

My bowshop is nowhere near the cheapest in CT. However, the service there is outstanding. Guys there take their time and value their customers. I recommend that shop to everyone. Take care of your customers and you will succeed.

Good luck!

16. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

Don't go by a standard Just don't get crazy. People talk. $50-100.00 is safe. Higher profits depend on average sale prices(Gunbroker for referances) and of course your investment cost. Remeber if its a nich gun go to gunbroker and ask average no matter what the profit.

17. RedRockGlock

RedRockGlock Guest

I completely agree. I've supported a local shop for several years, they weren't the most expensive, or the cheapest, but their good people and do right by their customers. I've made a several purchases from the same online dealer. Impecable service and support after the sale, just doesn't always have what I'm looking for. I hope to end up being a dealer like that.

My goal is to be able to offer people competative prices and still make it worth my while. I have no delusions of getting rich overnight or not making the effort. So many people want to start a business and have everyone else to the work and expect to get rich tomorrow. I know too many people who've failed, and suceeded to expect that.

Thanks again everyone.

18. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

You're going to need your business license and tax stamps too. Doing business without them is a sure way to get into deep water.

19. pac201

pac201

get a good fire rated safe, and make sure you have paper for everything.

20. 2afreedom

2afreedom

The only advice I will add to what has been given:

1. Sell used guns at used prices. Don't even put an asking price on a used gun that is equal to or slightly less than the new price. A lot of people find this offensive and won't even try to bargain with you.

2. Provide the best service you can to everybody. Don't have a few "special" people that you are nice to and ignore the other guys walking in. Be as friendly as you can. This will be hard sometimes but it will put you ahead of 80% of your competition.

3. Do as many transfers as you can as cheaply as you can. Cheap transfers will build loyalty to your shop as opposed to your competition. They also get people in your door to look at higher mark up items.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010