New fangled electrical butt connectors

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Hoochrunners, May 27, 2020.

1. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Thanks, I hadn’t seen those before, and they look great, especially for attaching strand wire to solid, which is where I’m always just not really confident the wire nut is going to perform, just as you mentioned.

I’ll order a set and see what I think, thanks much!

Inyo Tim and MarkCO like this.
  2. Adjuster

Adjuster

They make special ones for connecting stranded and solid together called lever nuts. The lever nuts are reportedly bulkier and dont fit as well inside a switch/outlet box.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lever+nuts&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

/

Inyo Tim and Deanster like this.

3. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

You can get them at Home Depot..probably Lowes and any other Hardware store. I've used a bunch of them....they work great.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  4. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

That style of stab connector was in the can lights I installed in 2011/12 during my home renovation. They're great for the lights (I used 10-12W LEDs) and very easy to install, but as they're nearly point contact connections, I wouldn't trust them for higher current applications like feeding receptacles. Give me a well installed wire nut and pigtail taps for those every time.

-Pat

Deanster likes this.
  5. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I don't solder much so when I do I don't fool around. I use solder and shrink wrap. Usually two layers of shrink wrap and then wire loom tubing as 90% of my wiring is on my klr 650.

40,000 miles on that poorly balanced thumper engine and I've got a bunch of solder joints on there for heated grips, horns, phone charger, etc. all working to date.

jmohme, 63Bravo and Deanster like this.
  6. RenoF250

RenoF250

I have never had a problem with those or Scotchloks. I can't remember the last connection I fixed that was not a broken or cut wire. The only connection I don't like is crimp since they will often pull out. If it really matters I will solder and heat shrink but trailer lights are not a big deal. I keep a few of those in a ziplock bag in every tool bag so if there was a problem I could fix it.

7. raymond-

raymond- Millennium Member

covid-19 was engineered to spread through this connector and not from pangolins or bats

BOOSTED12A likes this.
  8. slick slidestop

slick slidestop

Ok, just be careful googling "butt connector":dancing:

Deanster and BOOSTED12A like this.
  9. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

First used them in the late 70's as a aviation electrician in the Navy.

10. rogn

rogn real dogs

I'd give you about 120-150 likes on the scotch lock garbage. They're two steps below farmer engineering. As far as butt connectors go Ive had good luck in the past using mil-spec wire protectant-- loading the connector prior to crimping. Dont use them in constant moisture exposure , only in enclosed areas. I always felt the heat sealed butts were just giving a false sense of security.

Deanster and jmohme like this.
  11. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

12. handyman

handyman

On the Wago connectors be sure to ask the elec inspector if they will allow them when you apply for your elec permit.

13. 63Bravo

63Bravo

Fact!
    ETA I solder everything..

jmohme likes this.
  14. jmohme

jmohme

Those are good in applications where you need the ability to disconnect occasionally.

I worked at a place that had a street sweeper that was a royal PITA and was always having electrical problems with connections on the many solenoid valves that this machine had. I all but eliminated the troubles by soldering short pigtails with those Weatherpack connectors and then sealing the solder joints on the solenoids with epoxy.

I have found that most repetitive electrical issues can be resolved by taking the time to do correctly what someone else did cheaply at time of manufacture or in a hurry during a repair.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    BOOSTED12A, MarkCO and Inyo Tim like this.
  15. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

I used them for my main connection for my under cabinet led lights. Work pretty well. Scotch locks are junk.

MarkCO, jmohme and Inyo Tim like this.
  16. jmohme

jmohme

I have done a lot of wiring on vehicles and equipment and am very anal about my wiring connections and in running my harnesses as neatly as possible.

Then at home I have to do something with the household wiring. Change a light fixture or ceiling fan.
    I bring this up because I do have a question regarding household wiring.
    How in the heck did those half assed wire nuts ever become the norm?
    There has got to be a better way of doing things than twisting two or three wires together and screwing on a plastic cap
    Yes, I know that they are more than just a plastic cap, but I look at those and all I can see is the probable cause of a house fire.
    I just last week had to do some electrical work on my RV and found two of those that were burned black. I eliminated every one of them that I could find.

17. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Sorry, maybe I'm just missing it, but looking at the pic, I'm not seeing how the pins work with the rest?

ETA - ok, I see it now... I didn't get at first that the wires pass through the pin rubber stoppers, now it all makes sense, thanks for posting!

MarkCO likes this.
  18. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

If wire nuts are installed correctly (use a pair of pliers to twist the stripped wires nice and tight before screwing the nut on, use one that's the correct size for the wires and make sure that they're stripped and cut to the correct length) they are inexpensive, easy to use and, in my experience at least, very reliable. If you half-ass things and just shove a few wires haphazardly into one and twist it a bit then no, they'll be crap. Use them correctly and they're fine - the twisted conductors make nice, solid contact and are mechanically sound.

-Pat

19. Skidoo

Skidoo

I’ve been using these in Aviation for at least 25 years.

20. 63Bravo

63Bravo

64D148AC-6F90-4235-8228-D99808222583.jpeg Converting my Tw200 to 100% LED.
    All connections soldered..