Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just picked him Wednesday, eight weeks old. He pretty much been house broke since Friday, but I'm not sure how far I can trust that. He knows his name and working with him to sit on command. I've read two books on the breed and watched many puppy training videos, while waiting for his 8 week release.
IMG_20200514_104146_01.jpg
IMG_20200513_181314.jpg

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
We just picked him Wednesday, eight weeks old. He pretty much been house broke since Friday, but I'm not sure how far I can trust that. He knows his name and working with him to sit on command. I've read two books on the breed and watched many puppy training videos, while waiting for his 8 week release. View attachment 758766 View attachment 758768
Thanks for sharing. My wife & I have had 2 Irish Setters. The first one (Molly) grew up with our 2 kids; she lived to be 16 years old. The second one (Scarlet) died early at 9 years with a cancer in her leg. Wonderful friends.

It's getting harder & harder to find them, at least here in Georgia. Where did you get Cody?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for sharing. My wife & I have had 2 Irish Setters. The first one (Molly) grew up with our 2 kids; she lived to be 16 years old. The second one (Scarlet) died early at 9 years with a cancer in her leg. Wonderful friends.

It's getting harder & harder to find them, at least here in Georgia. Where did you get Cody?
From a Mennanite family in Lebanon, PA. about 2.5 hour drive.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
What a cute pup, hope everything goes well.

Reactions: n2g

·
Registered
15,734 Posts
We just picked him Wednesday, eight weeks old. He pretty much been house broke since Friday, but I'm not sure how far I can trust that. He knows his name and working with him to sit on command. I've read two books on the breed and watched many puppy training videos, while waiting for his 8 week release. View attachment 758766 View attachment 758768
I've haven't been around Irish Setters much but you have a fine looking animal.

·
M62/76
12,541 Posts
Looks like an awesome pup

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,555 Posts
Handsome pup!!!

My wife had two Irish Setters, before we got married. Both named Max.
The first one was very hyper. He ran off, and was hit by a car, and died in the road.
The second was a BIG Setter. 95 lbs (and not an ounce of fat!), when fully grown. He was a gentle giant.
My wife got him from a breeder near Richmond, VA.
Champion and International Champion, throughout the bloodline.
Max 2 could hurdle a 4 foot high fence, and never touch the fence.

Went my wife and I got married, we put up a 5 foot high fence, and he never attempted to go over it.
He was a very smart dog.
Cancer took him a couple of weeks before his 13th birthday.
Devastated my wife.

We got another Setter on Thanksgiving morning, '90.
Clancy.
We got him from a lady in Myersville, MD.
Turns out she was running a puppy mill.
LIED about documentation. Never provided it, and "disappeared" when we went back to visit and get the paperwork, in person.

Clancy died at about 2 years old, from a defective heart.

Our family LOVE Irish Setters and English Springer Spaniels.

Congrats on a very handsome pup!!!!!!!

Reactions: Rotn1 and Sechott

·
Mentally Frozen
28,468 Posts
I agree with your wife on the name. Beauty of a pup.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Here I have him sitting on the outside porch. BTW, I wanted to name him Covid, but the wife told me, Cody would be much better.
View attachment 758772
As soon as I saw this image I burst out with a "HA!!" and a big ear to ear smile on my face! What an absolutely adorable little puppy!

Every once in a while since I retired I contemplate getting a dog because I now have the time to dedicate to training a puppy, and even though I haven't decided on what particular breed I'd like to have, all I do know is that it wouldn't be one of those small snapperhead types, LOL.

I hope that you'll all love him as unconditionally as he'll come to love you and your family :D

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Great looking pup! Congrats!

Reactions: catman71
1 - 20 of 47 Posts