new electric guitar and amp

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by punkture, Mar 16, 2007.

1. punkture

punkture

my band is getting back together. we were together for about 2 years with me, a guitarist, on drums. i'll be back on guitar now. our last band was compared to hum, helmet, acid bath, crowbar, and nuclear rabbit. i'm in the market for a new guitar. i have a peavey predator (my 1st guitar that i keep around for sentimental reasons), an old ibanez s series, and a MiM fender stratocaster, but i'm looking to pick up a les paul in the next couple weeks. our other guitarist is playing an epiphone les paul standard through a crate solid state half stack and it sounds pretty solid. i've decided on a few that i'd like to have:

-epiphone les paul standard: can get blem, black for $300 from MF or new for $400 from either MF or zzounds.

-epiphone les paul custom: i WANT a white guitar. can get a blem, white with gold hardware for $460 from MF. gold hardware....bleh.

-gibson les paul studio: better guitar, obviously. can get white with chrome hardware (most preferred scheme) for $1200. les paul standard is out of my budget.

to be perfectly honest, the studio is borderline out of my budget, but if the quality difference is worth it, i'd consider throwing down more cash.

need pros and cons, please...

i've played the epiphone standard les paul and it feels/sounds pretty sweet. we have several songs recorded with the other guitarist playing this guitar. would the other options be worth the money? i've also briefly looked at the esp viper (not the ltd knock-off viper) and a few jacksons, but have been leaning toward the les paul body style. the esp viper is too SG-ish, which doesn't feel good to me while playing it.

----------

amps....

i want a 2x12 combo amp. my max budget is $500/600 or so. i'm eyeing a few fender amps: FM212R and FM212DSP, and the line 6 spider III 120W or 150W combos. any input on these or others i should consider?

i'll also be getting a few packs of strings, a dozen picks, a strap, strap locks, a hard case, and a couple instrument cables, so if anyone has any input on their preferences, i'd like to hear it.

thanks!

2. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

Get the Alpine white Les Paul Studio dude, you'll never regret the purchase. I bought one back in the 90's when it had the Gold hardware and Damn......that is my best souding Gibson of the 5 Gibsons I've owned (currently have 3).

3. punkture

punkture

i'm leaning toward the gibson, but what about getting the epiphone standard and throwing some burstbucker pros in it since the gibson studio comes with the 490r/498t pickups? that'd give me a good sound at an affordable price. how would the burstbucker pros compare to the 490r/498t setup? most everything will be distorted, medium to heavy...helmet and hum are the first two bands that come to mind in regards to guitar tone.

4. Soujurn

Soujurn Deus Diligo USA

I'd opt for a Epiphone Les Paul Quilt Top. Probably the best Epi LP's I have tried out at Guitar Center. And I have played them all. Even compared a Gibson LP standard to the Epi. Damn close IMO. You get about 80% of the Gibson for 1/4th the price. I'm talking playability here, not cosmetics.
    If you wanna change pick ups, I'd go with Seymour Duncan or Lindy Fralin.

As to an amp... This Marshall setup would be damn cool. And with 100 watts, it is LOUD! Trust me... For an idea of the tone possibility, listen to the sound samples and the Quick Time video, on Musicians Friend.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...MG412-Slant-Cab-Half-Stack-Package?sku=482807

5. punkture

punkture

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Having owned a few few Gibson SG's and still enjoying my LP Studio, I can tell you the new Epiphones are very good and usually just a set of pick-ups will bring them even,sound wise.
    Have an Epihone SG400 Custom...great sounding and very well made.:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

7. punkture

punkture

8. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

Look like a good deal. If you have any well stocked guitar stores around you, I'd most likely obsess on finding one so I could see how she handles.

9. Berto

Berto woo woo

If it has to be a Gibson,that's about as cheap as you'll get for one...but it's also a stripper LP without the maple top..which is what gives the LP it's steelier attack and more crisp note definition through heavy distortion. It will sound warmer like an SG..another all mahogany guitar.
    My opinion anyways.:supergrin:

10. punkture

punkture

hmmmm....i'm interested to see what setups you guys would put together with let's say a ~$1500 budget. the more i think about this, the more i'm leaning toward a carvin tube half stack and an epiphone les paul, either standard or classic quilt top. $1110 for the amp shipped with the footswitch:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=MTS412&CID=GA

11. JDJ

JDJ

Sell your other guitars and buy a Gibby. Then get a Marshall tube amp and a pedal or two. Then don't look back.

Of course, I'm a Fender guy. :hugs: But you sound more LP/Marshally to me.

[​IMG]

12. punkture

punkture

i've been avoiding your advice because it is expensive. however, it is correct. i believe my plan is unfortunately for my bank account racing top speed in the marshall/gibson combo direction.

13. Gareth68

Gareth68

Jimmy Page has sold a LOT of les paul's to people seeking the tone of his Tele....

BTW, here is my plank.

[​IMG]

14. Berto

Berto woo woo

I like both.:)

[​IMG]