New EDC backpack

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by beastmode, Aug 9, 2015.

1. beastmode

beastmode

Looking for a new edc backback. I carry an extra sidearm (usually full size), extra clothes, snacks, flashlight, spare magazines/ammo, a book, multitool, basic survival gear and a few other odds and ends. I don't want anything that stands out in a crowd but I need something durable.

I really like the products that Kifaru puts out and I am leaning towards the Antero. I am open to other suggestions though.

2. PittsburghFrank

PittsburghFrank

COVRT 18 BACKPACK by 5.11
    http://www.511tactical.com/covrt-18-backpack.html

wingryder likes this.

3. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

You must hike all day long.

4. 2@low8

[email protected]

Another vote for the Covrt 18. Big enough without being too big, comfortable and very ordinary looking on the outside.

5. 219Dave

219Dave

I also vote for Covrt 18. Super comfortable, even with a heavy load. Doesn't look too tactical. Good ccw compartment. Then check out Maxpedition for a holster to use in the ccw compartment.

I'm not a huge "gear" guy, but this is my favorite piece of gear. I like it so much I want to buy one for each of my kids to use as a regular school backpack. I got mine on Amazon.

6. Mayonator

Mayonator

Just about anything quality made will do. I agree about not buying something that looks tactical, and people do look at labels and branding. Why look like what you are, when you can fool people into thinking you're something that you're not? A computer bag works great as a CCW rig.

7. Mayonator

Mayonator

Looked at Kifaru's site. Really nice stuff. Spendy though. The Antero is $300. Before laying out that much, I'd have to believe if it's twice as good as the one I'm currently using. Made in Wheatridge, CO? Or somewhere else?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  8. beastmode

beastmode

Twice as much but has a lifetime warranty and is made in the USA. I have one of their backpacking packs and it is built incredibly well. On one hand an edc pack is going to need to be tough and dependable. On the other hand there are many packs that would fit my needs at the same price or under.

9. Mayonator

Mayonator

I'm thinking about it. I live in CO anyway, but nowhere near Wheatridge. I'd like to them in person, but I imagine they're good about returns if I decided I didn't want it for some reason.

10. wingryder

wingryder

I have a 5.11 Rush 24 as an EDC work bag. I love it. Tons of room, legal for carry-on. from your link, it looks like the Covrt 18 isn't highly rated but most of the complaints seem to be from people carrying a laptop... My Rush24 isn't padded very well for a laptop either, but I don't carry one, so...

11. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I EDC a smaller version of this bag from maxpedition. While My BOB is a larger 5.11 72 and it is a great bag, the maxpedition is more durable and has better zippers. This one is on sale for almost 1/2 off. It also has a compartment for securing a CCW and has various accessories to secure your pistol, mags, tools lights etc.

[​IMG]

nursetim likes this.
  12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

5.11 and Maxpedition.

That's perfect, because you want something tactical and black with a 5.11 label, to avoid standing out.

I would foolishly recommend that you go down to the sporting good store and get something colorful for hiking, like a hippy college kid would carry.
    [​IMG]

People who carry "tactical" gear to stay low profile, don't under stand either "tactical" or "low profile." Sort of like the ninjas in the movies running around town in their ninja outfits, rather than dressing to blend in.

CAMSDADDY and nursetim like this.
  13. NH Trucker

NH Trucker

I use this same one every day for work. Found a guy on Facebook selling it cheap. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. I use the water bladder compartment for my gun and mags. Plenty of room, separates the gun from all of my work gear that I may have to dig out when I'm at the office, and the compartment is so discrete that no one even notices it's there.

14. fasteddie565

I travel internationally all of the time. I feel no specific need to be any lower profile than anyone else traveling to the places I work. If you look down the line in the overhead bins, almost every bag is black. Are all of those people errant as well? probably not. I understand low profile, but I also understand good gear that doesn't break. There is a difference in how I live my life, do my job and conduct myself in dire times. I rarely if ever even carry a CCW in any of this kit, so what's your point?

15. nursetim

nursetim

I really like this, but I want to keep a lower profile. I wonder what would happen if I took the webbing off. It would be great to get it made in blue or grey or maroon.

16. 219Dave

219Dave

While I agree that lots of 5.11 gear looks super tactical, the covrt 18 really does not. Looks very similar to my kids' Northface backpacks. There is a tiny 5.11 tag on it, but I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of the population does not know the brand, doesn't associate it with police gear, etc.

17. fasteddie565

They have some smaller bags that are more like shoulder gabs that have little or no Molle. They make them in grey and they have a new dark brown color for some products as well that is a little more obtuse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Different color

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    nursetim likes this.
  18. harberad

harberad

I have a 5.11 rush 24 that I use as a work bag every day. I love it and it is very practical. However, it definitely makes me look like a wannabe ninja. I have had people ask me about it. I don't carry in the bag, so it doesn't matter. People may not be familiar with 5.11, but the rush 24 definitely looks "tactical". The rush 18 does look more low key.

19. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Picked up a Camelback backpack for my wife a few years ago... so now my standard is "backpack must have Hydration Bladder pocket of 1 Liter"...

I'll be checking out some of these good looking packs just to see if other MFG's have caught on...

Thanks for providing lots of options in this thread! :rock:

20. Anomander

Anomander

Some people are living the life while we mortals are living under the thumb of the man.

Would a Jansport do?