New DSLR, thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by area727, Jan 18, 2010.

1. area727

area727 G23

So we just picked up our new Canon XSi DSLR camera yesterday, and perhaps I should have inquired on here before buying ( :whistling: ).
    We got tired of the point and shoot camera's (although useful in some situations), the lag time was bad on both the canon, and nikon we had/have. I've started playing hockey again, and our kids are now old enough to start playing sports, so we needed something better for action shots, etc. So we made the jump to DSLR. We found online special pricing with with the XSi (kit included), the bag with extra battery and UV filter, and the EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens.

Does anyone else have this camera, and what are your thoughts on it? I understand its not top of the line DSLR. Anyone have good expierience, anything to watch out for?

Thanks!

2. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

I have a T1 and absolutely love it. I'm still learning the capabilitys of the camera, but I have taken some great pics. So far I've taken just over 2000 pics with mine since I got it in Sep. 09.

3. Dragline

Dragline

Well you definitely need a DSLR with no shutter lag for shooting fast moving sports. You should be ok outside with that lens for shooting sports like football and soccer etc.

Indoor ice hockey in a dimly lit arena may be tough however. You will have to experiment with high ISO settings and see how the images look.

4. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

It's the lens, not (so much) the camera...especially for indoor action sports. The camera will suit you just fine.

You may find yourself a little frustrated with taking hocky photos with your current lens. While the 250mm will get you close to the action, the f5.6 aperature at that length will force you to crank up the ISO (resulting in grainy photos) or slow the shutter speed way down (resulting in motion blur) when you're shooting with indoor lighting.

Have a look around POTN (photography on the net)...the Glocktalk of Canon photographers....for lots of advice. Also..glocktalk has the through-the-lens forum.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

5. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:agree:

For fast action shots, (Indoors and/or out) you need fast glass. The down side is the cost. Fast lenses are expensive, but are very well worth it once you start shooting with them.

:cool:

6. area727

area727 G23

Thanks. The rink is actually pretty well lit. Lots of overhead lighting. I'll take a look at the other forums, appriciate the info.

7. Dragline

Dragline

Your camera will tell you whether the rink is well lit or not. What might look fairly bright to the naked eye doesn't always translate out to good images from the camera. You can also be fooled taking readings off the ice which will underexpose the players.

You might need to push the ISO to 1600 (or higher) to get a fast enough shutter speed to stop action. Players skating right at you can get by with a slower shutter speed. Players skating across, not so much.

Back in the day (shooting film) I used to have to light ice hockey (and basketball, and swimming, and volleyball).
    I would put fast strobes up high on either side and trigger them from the camera with wireless remotes so I could move around a bit.
    And with no preview, you really had to know what you were doing.

Having one of today's excellent DSLR cameras which are capable of delivering quality high ISO images with available light would have changed my life.

8. jhall

jhall

I just got the T1i for Christmas, my first DSLR as well. I LOVE it! I took it out yesterday and got some cool shots with it on the river. Note, do not tell your wife you are taking your new $1000 camera down the river, she will not be happy.

But I did get some cool shots i'll share later.

Have fun with yours!

9. jbutenhoff

jbutenhoff

I second the POTN forum! TONS of great info for the photo lover crowd!

The lens will be the deciding factor for the inside shots as said above. You might end up wanting a better low light lens fairly quickly. Be warned though, this is an addictive hobby just like firearms! First you get the basic kit, next thing you want a nice flash, then start looking at L lenses (the high end ones from Canon)...

A visit to the library can be very helpful as there are tons of books on photography to help you learn the basics. Plus, many of the factors for the old school film cameras apply the same way!

Have fun!

10. area727

area727 G23

Thanks everyone. The pictures of the kids playing sports (right now, all outdoors) are the more important ones. Pics of me playing hockey inside really isnt that important, and was an afterthought.

However, with that being said, I will check out the other forums, and get myself more educated on the subject, and who knows, maybe one day get the more expensive lenses for shooting in various environments.

11. hatidua

hatidua

-use what you now have and be happy with it, no point in second-guessing your purchase after the fact. Learn to work within your capabilities and understand that their are very few absolutes within photography (I've done national ads with a point & shoot and I've shot photos of my dog with a $20K camera - both work just fine).

12. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I want to get a new lens for my D70, but an 18-200 Nikkor is $750, don't want to spend that much right now. In the meantime, my 24-105 will have to do.

13. area727

area727 G23

I'm not second guessing my purchase. The test pictures we took around the house look great. We're definately not going to purchase any new lens any time soon (just dropped a good chunk of change on the camera, and the couple extra's we got with it). Since I am new to DSLR, I was just trying to get others opinions on this camera.

14. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

15. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

BTW....the best money you can spend is $90 on a Canon 50mm f1.8.
    It's the cheapest lens in their lineup, and one of their fastest.

It will be THE go-to lens for any family portraits, sunsets, low-light etc.

It's not a zoom (called a 'prime' lens). But you'll get over having to 'zoom with your feet'.

On POTN, you'll see it called the 'nifty/thrifty 50'.

It's a great (and inexpensive) way to introduce yourself to the world of fast lenses and creamy bokeh (that out-of-focus background that really makes your subjects 'pop').

After that, you're on your own. It IS addicting. I sold my motorcycle to buy a lens.
    (yes...it's a nice lens)

16. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

Canon XSi is a great choice. I love Nikon but I don't know WTF they did with their naming and labeling, it went from like D40, D50, D60, etc. to like D3000 or whatever and I don't know what's what.

17. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think he's mostly a Nikon guy, but Ken Rockwell is a great reviewer of camera equipment (Canon included). I learn a ton from his website. http://www.kenrockwell.com

18. Dragline

Dragline

I'm there now.
    I've really been wanting a Canon 500 4.0 for birds and wildlife but it's over $6,000. And of course then I'll need a new tripod and head for it so the price climbs.
    I'm giving serious consideration to selling my 03 Harley Wide Glide to finance the purchase.

Could just pick up one of these.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...n_2527A001_Super_Telephoto_1200mm_f_5_6L.html

Would have to sell the house to finance that one though.

19. jhall

jhall

I was at a trade days thing a couple weeks ago right after I got my DSLR. I found some guy selling photography equipment. He tried to sell me the metal mount version of the nifty fifty for $100. I didn't know anything about it and hadn't done my research on it so I passed. He kept telling me how it was such a good deal as the metal mounts go for more money and it was such a good lens. Once I got home and researched it I realized it was probably a pretty good deal. Wish I had got it now..

20. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ