New doggy

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by mike1969, Sep 27, 2007.

1. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

Well, I took my fathers advice. He told me to go get another doggy when my old passed. Its been almost a week. I didnt get her to replace my old, I got her to help me get over the old doggy.

I went to several different shelters. I thought I had found one, but the humane society called me today and told me the one I was going to adopt had malignant tumors. The director called me and told that she nor the humane society didnt want me to adopt a animal that had tumors, nor to go through what I just went through . She also said that she didnt want to me occur the expense of having to have her treated and she said the treatment was going to be expensive. The tumors were discovered today when she was having her spay surgery. When I picked her out Sunday, she wasnt spayed, so they scheduled her to get fixed.

There were several other dogs I had looked at the humane society, and I had kind of narrowed it down. One was a female brindle pit bull mix, a male pointer something mix, and female yellow lab/chow mix. Well I adopted the lab. She looks 96% lab. She has the black spots on the tongue and the curly tail and about a year and 10 months of age. She is mostly house broken.

Right now she is asleep, next to my foot. She had a adventure filled evening. She traveled from St. Augustine to Jax, went to petsmart, met a 22 week great dane, met my bosses weim, and went to wendy's with me, then finally came home, sniffed everything she could and ran amuck in the backyard. She finally calmed down enough to fall asleep. Everytime I move the chair, she pops her head up and looks at me, like quiet Im trying to sleep here. She is going to have a long day, starting by going to the vets office, and then going to work with me. I did notice something about her. When I took her out earlier and she came back in, she would just hang out in front of the food bowl, theres food in it and water. I think that might be because of the humane society kennel she was in. Thats something that will go away after a while when she is more comfortable with the house and gets a routine...

2. ppk/sfan

ppk/sfan Guest

Congrats on the new puppy. Have a blast bonding with the new family member...

3. Petra

Petra

Where's the pic of the new baby?

4. glockenbill

glockenbill

i'll show you how to really spoil him!

5. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

Here is Maggie. She is a lab\chow mix. Ill try to get a better pic of her. This was the night she camehome(Wednesday.) About a year and 10 months. I have decided to crate train her, I think she had some training before, but she had some "incidents" yesterday when I took her to work with me yesterday. A river of pee and the rug doctor met. She didnt number 2 inside, just the peeing.

I spoke with the vet this morning because of all the peeing and hw said everything all coupled together, the trip, from the meeting of her and my bosses dog, all the playing and the rabies vaccination, was too much excitement.

BUt Im confident she can be housebroke in about 2 to 3 weeks.

6. Petra

Petra

She's pretty!

7. MeanKeene

MeanKeene Guest

remind's me of my dog, loves to sleep in front of the air conditioner vent.

8. tuffcop07

tuffcop07 mixin em up

Congrats on the new blessing... she is a beautiful dog

9. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

She is quite mischievous at times

10. compassman

compassman

Another dog saved:thumbsup:

I have been popping in and out of the forum. I love to here people heading to shelters and adopting dogs from rescue. Congratulation on the adoption your dog is in it's forever home ;)

"Every good dog deserves a good home, but not all homes deserve a good dog".

11. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

Heres a update on the brat. I mean Maggie. She has learned a few tricks. Im trying the clicker method of training. She did have a few peeing accidents at home(my fault not observing her constantly).

She is definitely a threat to the lizard population living in the back yard. Ever time I catch her doing something wrong, I instantly try to correct her. I did catch her trying to shred some paper napkins this morning, I told her to let me have it, and she finally relented. I gave her a chewtoy afterwards.

I have learned with her to keep a close ear out, usually whens it really quiet something is happening and I need to look. Almost forgot what a challenge to training a Lab really is. My old doggie(he was a lab and pitbullmix) passed last month due to cancer, and I dont remember having to really do a lot to make him learn, or maybe I did, it was so long ago.

She seems to be adjusting well to the new home. I do believe I am going to take her to some OB classes anyway.