New dog rarely goes. ????

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Dennis in MA, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

It's been quite a while since I've had a dog. But my last dog went RELIGIOUSLY 3-4x a day. Once in the AM. Once when we got home, once before bed (11pm).

We have a new 4yr old Lab mix. Rescue dog that likely took a lot of crap in her day. :(

She goes at 5am when my wife gets up. She'll go again sometime between noon and 3 when someone takes her for a walk. Some days, she'll go all the way until 5am the next day. :shocked:

Today, she went at 8am. I gotta go walk her around (almost midnight now.) She may not go. That'll be 21 hours. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Whaddupwitdat??? SHe drinks some water, but not a ton. I just can't understand this. I'm pretty sure her last owner was an a-hole. She's fairly skitterish and gets very nervous at times. I figger the dude musta beat her into holding it. Or not. Is this normal??? Seems ABnormal to me.

Thanks.

2. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

number 1, 2, or both?

my dog will pee 3 or 4 times a day, and poop once.

just make sure that water is available to her at all times, and praise her like hell for going OUTSIDE.

consistancy is the key. if you think she has been abused in the past, and she makes a mistake inside, let her know that she has done wrong, but don't make THAT big a deal about it.

dogs can hold it for an amazing amount of time. if she is getting plenty of food and water, and doesn't ask to go out, don't pressure her.

if you are that worried (and its YOUR dog, so you may well be), speak to your vet and spend 60 bucks to ease your mind....)

3. Dennis in MA

#1. She went 16 hours yesterday no problem. The big hassle is she starts barking at 4am every day. Wife waits until she gets up at 5 to take her out. But I gotta wonder if she'd be better off if she went more often.

I guess I'll just try and work on her schedule and see what that does. I was just amazed at how long she can hold it. She's got water available to her and drinks, but I can't tell you how often or how much. No accidents at all in the house. And she does bark if she does have to go. She did it on Sunday and I almost fell over. "Holy croikey - she WANTS to go take a leak!"

4. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

This defiantly calls for a vet check. She could have many things wrong with her including worms or other parasites. What kind of food are you feeding her and what kind of water? (tap - hard, soft, well)

5. Petra

Petra

She may have kidney/bladder stones. Check for blood in the urine. My little girl would hold it until she couldn't when she was passing a stone. It just hurt her so much that she didn't want to go. She will also go 24 hours without going if it's raining outside.

6. Dennis in MA

After really watching her drinking patterns and such, it seems more a case of her forgetting to have anything to drink. She'll drink nothing during the day, have some water with her dry food, and that's pretty much it. Only if you SHOW her the water does she drink it.

I still say she was pretty abused at her last home. :( She's more lively every single week. This seems more psychological than medical.

7. XeRoFuN

XeRoFuN Guest

Seems like she's ok then. Probably still getting adjusted.

8. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

You just haven't stumbled across the newest hiding place yet. :alex: