close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Dog + New Shotgun = 7 Quail

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by PlasticGuy, Oct 4, 2003.

1. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Opening day finally arrived. I went out with my new pup (a 5 month old black lab) and my new Beretta model 391 in 20 guage. My father in law was there with his 9 year old yellow lab and his Remington 1100 in 20 guage.

Fun was had by all. My little dog learned a lot from the old dog, and my father in law and I both shot pretty well. We bagged 7 birds in two hours, and decided to call it a day as the dogs were getting pretty hot. It was a good start to what I hope will be another great year of quail hunting.

How'd everybody else do?

2. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Our bird season hasn't started yet but my 2 Drahthaars are certainly waiting.
    I did get to score a nice 8 pt buck tonight with the bow (my 6th deer of the season so far).

3. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

TJC,

New Joisy, huh? Who's back yard was it in, yours or your neighbor's?

(Just being silly, I'm pleased to see that deer are enthusiastically harvested in the northeast.)

4. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Cricket,
    While I do actually hunt some back yards (deer are all over) this one was taken in a 300 acre park that the Twp. owns.

I still can't wait for bird season to open. I think grouse starts next Sat. The dogs are biting at the bit to get out. I wish we had quail (other than the stocked birds) here to hunt.

5. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Congrats on that deer -- it sounds like a nice one!

6. cannoncocker

cannoncocker unknown race

I used to work in nyc for 5 years!When I would go to atlantic city at night id see no less than 50 deer on the side of the road and big ones too.
    rod

7. noway

noway

Nice job on the quail.

I whent out for dove on the 4th and the ground was wetter than the atlantic ocean, so I whent to another hunting ground 100mile farther north and ended up trying my hand at quail. The first location I stop at to get started, 3-5 quail bobb their way right across the road 10ft away. As I got the shotgun out of the cab,12-15 quails flushed from the ground and flew into a ground brush about 20yrds away from where I parked at.

Didn't get anything in the game bag but I'll be back.

wish I had a dog,but the palmetto brush will make sashimi out of dogs.
    ;f

8. iweb

iweb

33 dove for the season that ended last week, quail and chuckar opens this weekend so I will be back at it. Saw lots of quail in dove season so thats not a problem, but chuckar running buggers thats another story. I was raised in St. John which is like 50 miles south of Spokane and my brother who still lives there said to come on up for phesant as there are lots! Ya never know, S. Nevada is nothing like the Spokane area.