·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
6'9" and 400+ pounds? That's a beast!

Reactions: Pythonman

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I don’t really know anything about power lifting, but I saw a discussion about this on another forum. Some were saying it’s not a “world record” because he didn’t do it in competition. They were calling it a “gym record.” I can see both sides, I guess, but from what I read, he had officials there to verify the weights and make sure the lift was clean. What do you say? Is this a world record?

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
I don’t really know anything about power lifting, but I saw a discussion about this on another forum. Some were saying it’s not a “world record” because he didn’t do it in competition. They were calling it a “gym record.” I can see both sides, I guess, but from what I read, he had officials there to verify the weights and make sure the lift was clean. What do you say? Is this a record?
Gym record is right

Not in a competition. Used straps also -- that makes a big difference.

As far as I know, the following is the official WR. No straps.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M13EBl_jF0

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Finally got around to watching Game of Thrones. Just finished the sixth season. This record breaking power lift dude in post #1 plays "The Mountain" and has been in quite a few episodes lately. He literally dwarfs anyone he stands next to. Unbelievable mass.

Reactions: orangejeep06

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
10,011 Posts
Finally got around to watching Game of Thrones. Just finished the sixth season. This record breaking power lift dude in post #1 plays "The Mountain" and has been in quite a few episodes lately. He literally dwarfs anyone he stands next to. Unbelievable mass.
Hafthor Bjornsson. A true beast.
The coolest video I've seen of him though is this one:
View: https://youtu.be/IkkL-bAH8H4

Devon Larrat absolutely toys with him. It's ridiculous when you take the size disparity into account.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
As someone who uses straps( I now use hooks), it certainly does help as it removes your fingers from the equation somewhat. But no matter what, that IS a **** ton of weight, and that is a very very large human being.

Gym record is right

·
NRA4EVR
11,737 Posts
All to say is that it’s astounding. That takes an almost unbelievable level of motivation, dedication and single-minded pursuit of perfection to perform at that level.

It wasn’t in a three-lift meet sanctioned by one of the several dozen powerlifting organizations. BFD. Powerlifting has become so divided that it makes Balkanization look like a minimal term. There is no unified standard of performance or equipment.

No one should put him down for that fantastic lift.

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
All to say is that it’s astounding. That takes an almost unbelievable level of motivation, dedication and single-minded pursuit of perfection to perform at that level.

It wasn’t in a three-lift meet sanctioned by one of the several dozen powerlifting organizations. BFD. Powerlifting has become so divided that it makes Balkanization look like a minimal term. There is no unified standard of performance or equipment.

not a powerlifting record that he broke, it was a strongman (unofficial) record. He broke Eddie Hall's record which allows straps and a deadlift suit.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Gym record is right

I believe Magnusson still holds the raw deadlift record. Raw deadlift (no deadlifting suits or straps) is 1,015 lb (460 kg), held by Benedikt Magnússon

Björnsson Just set a world record under strongman competition rules. 501 kg (1,105 lb) Strongman rules. Suits, straps and hitching above the knees allowed.

These are the different rule sets.
https://barbend.com/heaviest-deadlifts/

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
I believe Magnusson still holds the raw deadlift record. Raw deadlift (no deadlifting suits or straps) is 1,015 lb (460 kg), held by Benedikt Magnússon

Björnsson Just set a world record under strongman competition rules. 501 kg (1,105 lb) Strongman rules. Suits, straps and hitching above the knees allowed.

These are the different rule sets.
https://barbend.com/heaviest-deadlifts/
Makes sense. I was strictly taking about PLing.

Needless to say, that dude is unbelievable.

·
The underscore is silent
5,233 Posts

Agreed and I think much of the discussion regarding it being a “gym record” comes from his back and forth with Eddie Hall, the current competition record holder.

Even though those two do not get along, Hall encouraged HB (ain’t spelling it) to move the lift to an official setting so he could officially hold the record. HB resisted (this was all prior to CV19) and decided that he would just get Icelandic strongman and legend Magnus Ver Magnusson to act as a judge and give lift some credibility. Then MVM said what Hall said... it will not be an official competition record because he will not be attempting it in the same conditions that Hall and all previous record holders did.

Not sure if Eddie Hall used straps... I think he did as they are legal in strongman competitions... but as noted, not in a USAPL or similarly sanctioned event. Eddie Hall is not listed as a powerlifting record holder so that tells me this is a strongman record and has different rules.

Still an amazing feat...

·
Come on man!!
16,643 Posts
Agreed and I think much of the discussion regarding it being a “gym record” comes from his back and forth with Eddie Hall, the current competition record holder.

Even though those two do not get along, Hall encouraged HB (ain’t spelling it) to move the lift to an official setting so he could officially hold the record. HB resisted (this was all prior to CV19) and decided that he would just get Icelandic strongman and legend Magnus Ver Magnusson to act as a judge and give lift some credibility. Then MVM said what Hall said... it will not be an official competition record because he will not be attempting it in the same conditions that Hall and all previous record holders did.

Not sure if Eddie Hall used straps... I think he did as they are legal in strongman competitions... but as noted, not in a USAPL or similarly sanctioned event. Eddie Hall is not listed as a powerlifting record holder so that tells me this is a strongman record and has different rules.

Still an amazing feat...
And now Halfthor and Hall have signed a contract to do a boxing match.

That makes me think this whole "feud" between them was nothing more than fake drama to set up a big pay-per-view.

Still a damn impressive lift though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts