Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Unfair Facist
27,032 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Last month, a CBS4 Investigation revealed the state health department reclassified three deaths at a Centennial nursing home as COVID-19 deaths, despite the fact attending physicians ruled all three were not related to coronavirus.

In each case, the residents had tested positive for COVID-19, but in each case, on-scene doctors ruled the deaths were not related to the virus. Still, in their official tally, the state increased the number of coronavirus deaths at the Someren Glen facility from four to seven, based on the disputed deaths.

----------------------------------------

Really, 3 patients in a nursing home died, after testing positive for COVID-19.

But, the nursing home doctor claims they were not COVID-19 related.

State department of health includes them as COVID-19 deaths.

Think the nursing home doctor has any reason to make a determination of natural causes, instead of COVID-19?

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
Last month, a CBS4 Investigation revealed the state health department reclassified three deaths at a Centennial nursing home as COVID-19 deaths, despite the fact attending physicians ruled all three were not related to coronavirus.

In each case, the residents had tested positive for COVID-19, but in each case, on-scene doctors ruled the deaths were not related to the virus. Still, in their official tally, the state increased the number of coronavirus deaths at the Someren Glen facility from four to seven, based on the disputed deaths.

----------------------------------------

Really, 3 patients in a nursing home died, after testing positive for COVID-19.

But, the nursing home doctor claims they were not COVID-19 related.

State department of health includes them as COVID-19 deaths.

Think the nursing home doctor has any reason to make a determination of natural causes, instead of COVID-19?
A government bureaucrat sitting behind a desk in the capital should not be able to overrule the medical professional on the scene.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I have suspected this for a long time. Somebody gets hit by a bus, and it’s a commie flu death. Sheesh!

Follow the money. The more Covid deaths, the more government aid. If you believed the projected death rates, we should be stepping over dead bodies in the street by now.Is it any wonder people are skeptical?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
A government bureaucrat sitting behind a desk in the capital should not be able to overrule the medical professional on the scene.
What if that medical professional has an obvious conflict of interest?

As far as I can tell reading it, the health department is classifying anyone who dies with a positive COVID test as being COVID related.

It looks like the Medical Examiners Office, was right when they ruled a person with a positive COVID test, and a BAC of .55, was a result of fatal intoxication.

OTOH, the 3 elderly people in a nursing home. that all tested positive, and died, but were ruled not to be COVID related, all seem suspicious.

Maybe if the Medical Examiners Office, who would be unbiased, had made the determination of cause of death, it would be tougher to refute.

But a medical doctor that works for a nursing home, would have an interest in denying that 3 people died, after contracting a virus, in the nursing home that employs that doctor. There's an obvious conflict of interest. There will be thousands of lawsuits filed soon, based on deceased residents in institutional settings who died of viral infections. I'm sure the claim will be that the institutions didn't do enough to prevent transmission, or treat the virus once a patient was infected.

Yeah no conflict of interest.

·
Massive Member
25,623 Posts
I would think a lot of times it's not obvious. Granny had a bunch of ailments that could take her at any moment. Many of them risk factors for Covid.

Covid tips her over the edge, causing one organ or another to fail. Did she die of Covid? Maybe not explicitly, probably was a factor. Would she have died at that point but for Covid? I'd say mark that down as Covid, wouldn't you?

Young people have died of a stroke after catching Covid, some clotting issue it's possible. Young healthy guy wouldn't likely die of Covid. Stroke killed him? Young healthy people don't tend to stroke out...

Do medical examiners get a few toaster if they assign enough deaths to Covid? Is there a contest I haven't heard about?

If you have a few cases like the .55 BAC, worth looking into, no harm doing an audit/investigation to make sure it's on the up and up. Just don't assume a few instances make a pattern.

Randy

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Pretty Ladies!
4,726 Posts
If you have a bunch of comorbidities (asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, whatever) that were under control and not killing you until you got Covid-19, I figure that calling your death "Covid-19 related" is fair. Everything in your world was manageable until you caught the Wu- Flu. Now you're dead. Covid-19 is the X factor that turned you from a person living with a chronic condition into a corpse.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Would democrat leadership across the country lie intentionally with the sole motive of deceiving the country? Could they be that organized. I don’t think so? BUT, if they are this organized. That is a terrifying thought.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Would democrat leadership across the country lie intentionally with the sole motive of deceiving the country? Could they be that organized. I don’t think so? BUT, if they are this organized. That is a terrifying thought.
Look at what they’ve done over the past 3 years. Rep Schiff has blatantly lied to the American public about there being definitive collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign after getting sworn testimony saying the opposite. Not one Democrat corrected him (and still haven’t) from then until now. We only know it because they finally released the transcripts. So yes, they are that organized and yes, they will lie to deceive the country.

·
Registered
18,054 Posts
You can't pretend the doctor who works for a nursing home has no agenda in making sure those deaths are natural. The last thing a nursing home wants is mass deaths from any virus.

·
Make It So!!
3,243 Posts
I don't know any details about CO's COVID death assignment process. This is just a general comment on how death certificates work -

While each state has its own death certificate format, they all by-and-large follow a similar template. Death certificate does not just list a single "cause of death." It asks the certifier (attending MD or medical examiner/coroner) to list a sequence of events under the primary cause of death. For example, let's say a patient had lung cancer, came in with post-obstructive pneumonia and went into septic shock. The death certificate will look something like this in the primary cause of death section:

1. Septic Shock, duration 10 hours, due to
2. Post-obstructive Pneumonia, duration 5 days, due to
3. Metastatic non-small cell lung cancer, duration 1 year.

The death certificate also has a subsequent section where the certifier lists "contributing factors" that did not directly lead to the actual death. This is where co-morbidities are listed. For example, if the above patient also has:

Congestive heart failure, Coronary artery disease, COPD, atrial fibrillation, diabetes - these will be listed as contributing factors because although none of them directly resulted in septic shock, pneumonia, or lung cancer, they all contributed to the patient's overall debilitated state that made septic shock more likely. So in general, all major co-morbidities should be listed here because even a less than 1% contribution is still contribution. Granted, in many cases, the certifiers are too lazy to track down all co-morbidities to enter them all into the death certificate.

Now, once submitted to the state's Vital Statistics department (or whatever its called in a particular state), it's up to the state epidemiologist to compile the overall aggregate data and publish "death rates" or "number of deaths" for a particular disease/cause.

If a patient tested positive for COVID-19 and dies with medical reasons (ie, didn't get shot in an armed robbery or got run over by a bus), it is reasonable to list COVID-19 in the contributing factor (where co-morbidities are listed) in the death certificate if it is not reasonable to list it in the "chain of events" section of primary cause of death. It will be up to the state Vital Statistics department on how they treat this in the statistical data. Individual physicians/certifiers have no say in this.

A couple of things to keep in mind -

In most states, a Medical Examiner or Coroner can legally overwrite an attending physician and change the cause of death (or any medical part of the death certificate for that matter). Overwhelming majority of deaths, however, are not reviewed by the ME. Each state has a list of conditions that are "reportable" to the ME's office. Even so, most referrals are turned down and kicked back to the original attending physician.

Death certificate is not held to the same "evidentiary" standard as court evidence. It only asks the certifier to list the most likely sequence of events based on the certifiers medical opinion. It doesn't ask for proof and in most cases there is no definitive way to prove. And in most non-trauma medical cases, autopsies do not help much either. It's often based on the "best guess" standard.

Reactions: merlynusn
1 - 18 of 18 Posts