close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New computer

Discussion in 'The Players Club' started by cobrablade, Nov 25, 2004.

1. cobrablade

cobrablade

I'd like to get a new computer. I want one that has tons of memory and won't freakin' bog down all the time. Would use it mainly for storage of digital pics & videos, since I don't play computer games too often (XBOX & PS2 mainly). Any recommendations?

2. Delta_3_63

Delta_3_63 Another FNG

Any PC from a major manufacturer will do fine for general use. One thing to look for is USB/Firewire connectors in the front of the PC. Nothing is more aggravating than having to crawl around the back of the machine to plug in a memory card reader or camera transfer cable.

If you're going to use it to archive photos then you need a CD/DVD burner. I recommend DVD since the cost is only a little more than CDs and they hold several times what CDs can.

If you want to do photo processing then you are going to need a little better machine. Most current machines have processors that are more than fast enough for simple photo editing. You need to make sure it has lots of main memory, a high quality graphics card, and lots of hard drive space. The hard drive requirement is based on the assumption that lots of digital photos will be spending time on the PC prior to archiving.

My current machine has a 1.6G Athlon (last years model) with 1G of high speed RAM and a TI4600 based graphics card (also an older model). It loads/edits huge photos with no problem. I also run parallel 120GB 7200RPM hard drives to keep the data moving.

You probably won't need twin drives. I do it for speed and security. Two drives can move approximately twice the data of one and if one craps out, the other keeps me going while I install a replacement. I also make it a practice to store images on DVD as soon as I am finished with post processing.

3. Tvov

Tvov

Remember that most of the "bogging down" is caused by programs running in the background you may or may not know about and sometimes spyware and virus programs.

Old computers can be given a new lease on life just by "cleaning them out".

4. cobrablade

cobrablade

I use spybot and ad-aware, norton 2005 and evidence eliminator. I'd shut down a lot of the background programs, but I'm not sure which are junk and which are good. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to buy one prebuilt, or if I'm going to piece it together myself.

5. cobrablade

cobrablade

Ordered parts and received parts. Get ready. For starters:
    CASE ATOP|AT830BKW BLACK RT

MB GIGABYTE GA-K8NS Ultra-939

VGA APOLLO|FX5700LE-256M TV/DVI RET

CPU AMD 64 3500+ ATHLON 64 939P RT

DDR CRSR 512MB X2 KIT|VS1GBKIT400

HD 200GB|MAXTOR 6Y200M0 SATA

KB&MS LOGTCH|INTERNT PRO DSKTP BLK

MNTR ROSEWILL|17"LCD R710J BLACK RT

DVD±RW|SAMSUNG TS-H552B/WBCH BLK

Amount Paid $1,142.64
    Lesson learned: Priceless
    Not paying $2000 on a prebuilt cpu that couldn't accomplish near what this can: Priceless
    Finding out how easy it is for anyone who has even a glimmer of thought processing ability to build a bad *** computer for next to nothing: Astoundingly priceless.

www.newegg.com

Know it and love it.

6. Delta_3_63

Delta_3_63 Another FNG

Welcome to the roll your own club. It's a little sweat but pays off huge.

Don't know about now but a few years back I had some problems with a Maxtor 80GB. Remember: back up early and often.

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Know this: there isn't a PC invented than NAV 200x can't severely slow down or stop!!

My advice is to stop paying good money for shoddy code. AVAST! is better, and so is AVG. And both are FREE.

Your parts aren't bad for photo editing, but your vid card is definitely slow. It is a slow mid-range card, and not very OCable, either due to small heatsinks and slow DDR on the PCB.

That'll make video editing/encoding a real chore. But it isn't anything that can't be fixed with a simple upgrade. At least you got a GB of decent DDR.

Wasn't that hard, either, was it?!;)

8. cobrablade

cobrablade

Nope, not at all. I was freakin' surprised. Just in time, too, as my older one crashed. This thing is awesome!

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Have you set up your old hard drive as a slave yet?

You can do that, or you can get one of these:
    [​IMG]

USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Bay. I use one because I am all the time teching...they make for a great archive tool!!

Either way, you'll keep all of your data from the old PC, and it makes it too easy to do periodic backups of your new stuff, too.

Glad you are having fun with the new PC!!