New class of firearms

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by elgoatropo, Mar 11, 2010.

1. elgoatropo

elgoatropo

Who could have seen the .380 craze coming? After all, Wiley Clapp and many others declared .380 dead after the Kahr PM9 came out. Now Kahr is hocking their own .380.

I predict the next big push will be around .22lr defensive weapons. Kind of like a double action NAA mini or non-crappy Rohm with polymer frame. Something that will function regardless of the quality of ammo.

2. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Possibly, but how about the .22mag.

And how about improving the quality of ammo. That will always hold the market back.

3. elgoatropo

elgoatropo

Agreed. Only about 20% of my .22 lr stash is good enough for semi-auto. That is what has gotten me interested in revolvers. What am I going to do with thousands of rounds of Federal BLue Box crap ammo? It would be a bonus if you could chamber .22lr and .22 Mag without having to change cylinders.

4. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

And not even with the Kahr. I Remember just 10 years ago when the Kel Tec P32 came out. Why would anyone carry a big Walther PPK or a Colt Pocketlight when you can get a P32, a Seecamp, a Guardian, or a Tomcat. The .32 was the hotest thing going for pocket carry. When the P3at first came out it was not that reliable, and people on KTOG actually recommended sticking with the P32. Then the improved 2nd gen P3at came out, and the rest is history.

Now just 10 years later who would even consider manufacturing a new .32 pocket pistol?

I think .22mag, .327 lemon squeezers, and even smaller and lighter 9mm pistols will be the next hot thing. After the gun and Ammo scare and with the rough economy I would also expect .22lr guns to make a big comeback.

5. elgoatropo

elgoatropo

[QUOTE=Bilbo Bagins;.

Now just 10 years later who would even consider manufacturing a new .32 pocket pistol?

I think .22mag, .327 lemon squeezers, and even smaller and lighter 9mm pistols will be the next hot thing. After the gun and Ammo scare and with the rough economy I would also expect .22lr guns to make a big comeback.[/QUOTE

Do you think I should take my name off the Seecamp .32 waiting list then?

6. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

The little pocket guns will always have at least a small following. I don't like them because I have a lot more confidence in the reliability and terminal effectiveness of my S&W 342 in .38 Special for a pocket gun, but some people I respect do like them, and they have valid reasons for that.

7. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

8. Ridgeway

Ridgeway

I don't see .380 taking off as a major option- it's just too $$$ these days.

I was looking @ picking up a p238 but the cost of .380 is just so absurd as compared to any other major self defense caliber, short of the less popular cals, i.e. 10mm.
    @ ~$23/box no thanks

The one .380 I have will be sitting in the safe for the forseeable future.

9. oldnoob

oldnoob

While we talking about fantasy, how about 7.62x25 make its come back?

10. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

I don't think .380 is making a come back as I don't think it ever left. Poking around the web I found cartridge sales worldwide show .380 as the biggest selling cartridge for many a year.

11. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

People don't talk much about it, but there are a bunch of glove boxs, pockets and purses that have .380s in them.

12. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Bullpup rifles are going to be the next big thing.

I know the design has been around for a long time but I think everyone is gonna be biting at the bullpup design within the next 10-30 years.

13. GAFinch

GAFinch

14. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

I thought .380 bounced off of t-shirts..

I've been carrying/defending the .380 round for years. Don't carry my 232 much anymore, and I don't bother defending the .380 because most that bash it are to stupid to argue with.

As far as an LCP or P3AT or whatever, no thanks.. I'll stick to my 638.

Also, $500+ for a "pocket" .380.. Umm.. no..

15. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

I think pocket pistols will be around for a very long time. .380 is one of the worlds top selling calibers.

Small, concealable, just right for the job.

16. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

For a hundred years, or there abouts, the .25acp was the leader in micro gun sales. Does anyone make one anymore?

Then the 32acp found small frames.....was hot......now not!

Now the 380 is about the same size as the 25acp guns were.

The only thing that is smaller, practically speaking, is the NAA mini revolvers.....

My best guess.......sooner or later, the 9mm, 9x19, will be chambered in an LCP/P3AT size pistol, at a reasonable price......who here doubts that won't sell like hotcakes?

hog

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  17. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

I would love to see a double action version of a NAA .22 mag with a swing open cylinder.

I also agree that .22 lr and mag are underrated for self defense and more options should be available for small carry guns.

18. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I would like to see that. It has everything going for it(goes through body armour and is inexpensive.)