close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new choke tube

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by gunnin_em_down, Nov 2, 2004.

1. gunnin_em_down

gunnin_em_down

i bought a new IC choke tube for my winchester 1300 shotgun that is rated for steel shot, and it mounts flush w/ the barrel. The choke tubes that came w/ the gun don't mount flush w/ the end of the barrel, they extend about 1/4 inch past the barrel. will shooting w/ the flush mounting choke w/ steel shot do any damage to the barrel? thanks

josh

2. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I have read that steel shot will damage the barrel without an extended choke tube. I have no idea if this is true or not though. I do use extended chokes for hevi-shot and steel shot on my shotguns, figure it can't hurt.

3. noway

noway

{I have read that steel shot will damage the barrel without an extended choke tube. I have no idea if this is true or not though. I do use extended chokes for hevi-shot and steel shot on my shotguns, figure it can't hurt.}

;g

I use steel rated chokes tube for most of my shotguns and they fit flush and they haven't been damage by shooting steel. Don't know where you are getting that rumor at.

Just make sure you seat the choke tube securely and don't try to shoot any heavy steel loads out of an full choke. Most of the time, steel loads by nature pattern tighter than a equal sized lead so less choke/restriction is needed.

4. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

I duck hunt with my Mossy 500 and it has flush fit tubes. I have never had any problem with any barrel damage and I have put 100's of round through it. I don't have any special chokes for it either. Just the 3 that came with it in the original packaging. MOD,I.C., and FULL

5. muddydog

muddydog

no...do any threads show??

i have all the factory chokes for a 1300 and a full set of briley extended chokes.

i am a die hard fan of the briley extended chokes.

6. lonewolf28152

lonewolf28152

My Benelli came with all flush mount chokes and all are steel shot rated.