close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Category for kids ?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by glkdawg45, Mar 29, 2004.

1. glkdawg45

glkdawg45

This just came up under the "Photos from Anderson" thread.

How would GSSF feel about having a category for childern, but let them use a .22lr conversion kit. Maybe ages 6-10 years old. Some childern are really good shooters, but 9mm is still just to much for them. I think this would be good for kids, GSSF, and the shooting sports.

What do you think ? Post your opinions.

2. ltgibson2001

ltgibson2001

I'd be for it. I would like my daughter to compete in something like GSSF with no moving targets or moving towards or away from a target and low stress. Just can't use that Ciener 22 conversion because it won't cycle reliably with any ammo i have tried.

3. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

it is easy for me to throw out ideas (after all - I'm an idea person)

I think that a side match geared for kids -

using 22lr glocks, or 9mm glocks used with powderpuff loads, 177 co2 pellet guns, or blue simunition glocks -

shooting at some sort of target setup (whether based on the 5tg, glockM, and glockdaplates, or an entirely different setup) -

would be alot of fun for the children of competitors that might not yet be ready to shoot full size glocks with standard power loads.

but at what cost in $$ and time? and how much risk? and to benefit how many shooters?

that girl that I was watching would have had just as much trouble racking the slide on a 9mm Glock as she did on the 40 cal.

Rusty

4. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I think it's a good idea. After all, new shooters are the future of the shooting sports, and gearing some part of a GSSF match towards kids would go a long way in developing future Glock customers and shooting sports competitors.

I've been to four different ranges shooting GSSF matches, and finding room to build a kid friendly course of fire would not be to tough, so logistically speaking, it would definitely be possible.

It's something the powers that be at GSSF should consider.

5. GTA

GTA

I think that would be a great idea! My son Austin (age 7), has already shot two matches using my G17 with Wallmart loads. Although it did not reliably cylce for him, he handled the weapon great and used very good gun control!! I think it's not fair that he has to compete with shooter ages 18 and under. A catagory specifically designated for age groups of 7-12, and 12-18 would be beneficial to the future of our sport. And why hasn't Glock made a .22 pistol yet????