close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Cat Problem........

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by citori59, Nov 3, 2006.

1. citori59

citori59 Lock Guru

About a month ago we took in a cute little kitten. She was about eight weeks at the time and is just the most loveable little female we have ever had. We also have a solid 15 pound American Shorthair female that could best be described as an extremely aggressive animal, a pit bull if you will. The older cat is 10 and is a house cat, never going outside and is declawed. The kitten does everything to make up to the older cat but no go. The older cat does not hurt her but makes it clear she wants no part of the kitten. They both sleep with us and are always in the same room but if the kitten comes closer than six inches the older cat hisses and bats at her. Any suggestions as to how to get these two to get along better?

2. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

I had this same problem a couple months ago. All I did is let them fight it out. Our vet said that some cats will get along, and some will never get along. But in time they will respect each other and the hissing, growling and batting will come to a stop, or a rarity. It took my cats about 6 weeks to stop hissing at each other.

Cats are like people... I'm sure you have that one or two co-workers you can't stand, but you get along with them because you have to. :running:

3. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Citori...........

What's happening is the older cat is showing the younger one it is the Alpha cat and the boss. The hissing and growling and batting will simmer down, and may never entirely go away, but eventually the older cat is going to find that the younger one is NOT going anywhere.

There is plenty out there on the web on introducing a new cat to existing cats..........

I went on Yahoo and typed in "Introducing a kitten to your household", and a ton of articles popped up:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=in...sehold&fr=yfp-t-419&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

Let us know if things simmer down in the Citori household.........be patient, your older cat is just jockeying for position if you will..........