close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New cat and allergy questions

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by justin22, Feb 7, 2005.

1. justin22

justin22

My wife and I just adopted our first cat yesterday from the local animal shelter. Here'e a pic, my wife named her Nala after a character in the lion king movie. She is 6 months old and according to the shelter was brought in as a stray.

Every since we brought her home I have had some pretty serious itching, primarily on my arms and shoulders and also some hives. Although this is my first cat I have been around my mother inlaws and have never had a problem like this. Has anoyone else ever had this problem after they got a new pet? I am really hoping I am not allergic to her and hoping that it may be just something on her fur or skin.

2. MonsterMaxx

MonsterMaxx

you are allergic to something

Give her a bath. Probably needs one anyway coming from the kennel.

We travel a lot. And she gets into places. Never know what critters she'll pick up in a strange hotel room.
    When I wash my baby I use one of the hearts flea & tick shampoo and then follow it up with Pantene conditioner. She'll smell so nice for a week or two.

I find that regular human shampoo gives her dandruff.

I'm allergic to cats too. When I got Caramel as a teenie tiny kitten I was only mildly allergic to her. As she got older my allergies decreased. Unless I rub my eyes after playing with her I don't really have any problems.

If you are allergic and have started off with a full grown cat you may have a problem getting used to her.
    I've had several people report the same as I, starting with a kitten, they weren't alergic by the time it grew into a cat.

Keep your cat bathed and don't touch your face after you've played with her/him.

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Peach will be along shortly to chime in but until then, I can say that I remember he going through a rash when she got Milo recently. I think he had ringworm, but I am not finding anything in a search. Whatever it was that he had, she caught it and wound up breaking out too. You could be dealing with something similiar.

You could PM her or start a thread here with a title that will catch her eye. She checks in here often ;)

4. justin22

justin22

Thanks or the responses. I just got done giving her a bath. I also bought some of the febreeze stuff that is supposed to help people with allergies and sprayed the furniture down. You may be right misskitty, she has been sneezing a little bit and the vet put her on a couple of antibiotics. Maybe I am just having a bad reaction to whatever has her sick

5. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Justin.......

If you are not snotty nosed (you know, all stuffed up) and itchy eyes I would say you are probably ok with the cat.....she's a beauty!!

Yes, when I adopted Max, my older siamese back in July he came to me with RING WORM!!! ;P :( I got some special shampoo from the vet and he had to sit in the tub (in a mesh bag with his head out) for 10 minutes with that shampoo on to kill the fungus. I, in turn got several "lesions"......and I put an over the counter "ring worm, jock itch" remedy on them. You will see the circluar lesions......

We have not had a ring worm outbreak at the house now in several months so I think we are over it.

Take benedryl or Claritin to help with the itching..........I take a generic Claritin from Walmart for the times I get these odd itches, and it helps and does not make me sleepy.

6. justin22

justin22

Thanks Peach. I the only time I got congested was for a short time after we left the shelter. I think because there were just so many of them. I will definitly pick up some of the clairitin if the itching persists.

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

What kind of mesh bag did you wind up going with? I don't think Iggy is going to tolerate baths :(

She was pretty good about me putting on the Soft Paws though :)

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Justin, something else good for itching is Itch X spray. Yellow bottle with a red cap. You can use it with Claratin. It is great stuff ;)

9. justin22

justin22

I just got back from the doctor today and he after some blood work he said that on a scale of 1-5, 5 being the worst I have a level 2 allergy to cats. He recommended a good air purifer and gave me a prescription for Zyrtec for when I itch. If that doesnt help he said he could give me some kind of nasal spray for allergies. That combined with giving her a good bath occasionally should do the trick.

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Also, try bathing kitty at least once a month. Helps to keep the dander down. Sadly, most cats won't allow this. My Miss Kitty sits in the tub and ASKS for her bath when she wants one ;P

Don't forget Benedryl too. It hasn't been around ages for nothing!

11. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Miss Kitty.......

I got mine in the laundry aisle in Walmart......it is one of those big white mesh bags with the draw string. It's big, made for a couple loads of clothes, but I cut it down, and sewed back up the bottom. In the Walmart I found mine at, it was in the aisle with the ironing boards, clothes pins, and other laundry things (not the laundry soap)

I cinch the draw string around my cat's necks for a bath......or I did for Max's ring worm killing baths.......he's not had a bath for a few months now.....

12. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Miss Kitty like baths??????? OMG!! wow!! My kitten Milo has started climbing into the shower with me....he is so curious. He stays for a bit then skee-dattles when water sprays him......

He is fascinated by the tub!!! ;g

13. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I guess it comes from her having so many baths as a baby. She was INFESTED with fleas when I found her. I bathed and bathed her that night, finally giving up and plucking fleas off her with tweezers! I wish I had taken pictures :( She was so tiny--less than a week old and when I started, you couldn't see her skin for the fleas there were so many ;P I know you ain't supposed to bathe a cat that small, but I was afraid they would kill her! I also put two drops of Frontline on her.

As long as I don't wet her head, she loves a bath. It took a while for us to figure out that she was asking for a bath ;g I leave her collar on since it breaks her spirit to take it off ;g Afterwards, I wrap her in a towel and just hold her for about twenty minutes ;f

Missy likes to take a pattypat water when you soak your feet. When I sit on the side of the tub and scrub my feet with that purple pumice stone, she sits right beside me. She sits on the tub ledge when I shower sometimes. Other times, she sits right beside the tub. She just loves water! Too bad, I can't teach her to do the dishes ;a