New cars with all these driver-alert systems

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Idontplaynice, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Idontplaynice

Idontplaynice

Lane change warning, adaptive cruise control, emergency automatic braking...it's like the manufacturers don't want people to drive any more. Are they promoting negligent driving?

I am starting to prefer cars that just need an alert, awake, and sober person to drive it. Guess those are getting fewer and fewer?

How do you feel about these self-driving features in cars?

2. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

The one I really despise is the tpms system. I was working in shops when it seemed that started to come around. What was common sense had everybody coming in for me to check the air in their tires.

3. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

4. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

I like them. My vehicle doesn't have many compared to a lot of new cars. Just stability and traction control. I recently drove a rental vehicle that had a few more, though. It had a rear view camera and blind spot monitoring. The rear view camera was very unobtrusive unless you wanted to look at the monitor. I did once or twice just our of curiosity, but ignored it the vast majority of the time. The blind spot monitoring was kind of cool, though. It would illuminate a little icon in the side mirror when somebody was in your blind spot (above a certain speed. If you turned on the turn signal while it was illuminated a chime should sound. They don't take the place of good, alert driving, but are handy tools.

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire

5. jhall

jhall

I just noticed for the first time the other day that my work vehicle, a GMC Sierra Denali, has this yellow light-red light warning system in the right rear pillar for when you are reversing and looking over your shoulder. I could always tell how close I was to something because of the audible tone, but apparently the light goes from yellow to red as well in that pillar, when you get close to something.

I guess I just use my mirrors a lot and rarely turn my head all the way around, which is why it took me awhile to notice.

Maybe I shouldn't admit that. :supergrin:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Mine beeps at me when I leave the lights on or key in when I get out :dunno:

7. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Safety.

I am pushing to get all these technologies into my corporate fleet.

I love my adaptive cruise control!

8. JamesPeter

JamesPeter

Its not so much that the car companies are pushing it. Its more the government pushing it. There are mandates to put TPMS in every car, airbags, etc. All in the name of safety. Nanny state and all that.

9. RazorTM

RazorTM

I feel that I'm a very good defensive driver, but there are still times when I'm not completely alert or completely not distracted. I will take any assistance available if it keeps me out of an accident, but I sure don't rely on it. My BMW Z3 has traction control, and even though I'm comfortable getting right up to the limit of traction (and even going beyond and kicking the tail out occasionally), I'm glad that I have the traction control, just in case. I make it a point not to rely on technology to do the driving for me.

I don't agree that the technology should be mandated, but my TPMS saved me by alerting me to a slow leak caused by a nail in my tire before it was too late. You're always going to have those people who can't figure out how to check the air in their tires let alone put more air in.

10. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

You haven't met my wife or daughter. TPMS systems have saved them each more than once.

11. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Shoot, even my newest motorcycle has a driver alert system. Manufactured through partnership with Danner, Inc. They call it the Acadia system.

12. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

My wife has said they need to put those side alerts on toilets for men. :headscratch: :dunno:

:supergrin:

:wavey:

red

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Where can I find a quality 5-speed stick shift, with roll-up windows?

I wonder if the safety stuff is an illusion. I know there are numbers and testing, but how much is safety and how much is marketing?

14. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

Lowest. Common. Denominator. We get the drivers we build our vehicles around.

Every time someone mentions buying a car for safety or economy, I buy 10 gallons of fuel and burn it at the side of the road, while drinking a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20.

15. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

Our 2013 Elantra has stability control. When I took a corner a wee too fast a while back it kicked in. Felt a bit weird. I can turn it off if I want, but I've decided to leave it on for the time being. When I have a few more miles on it I may turn it off and see how it really handles

16. M&P15T

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've drifted my Mustang around another driver on a freeway off-ramp before. Just slid right past her with the ass end of my car hanging out.

Scared the living bejesus out of me.

17. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

Craigslist. You won't find one in a dealer showroom, that's for sure.

Back in the day, we actually had to turn our head and look. We actually had to drive the car. There was only one warning for the ignition key. I hated that one and disabled it in every car I owned.

Cars now have so many beeps and bells it is totally confusing and annoying.

18. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Oh my God! Is that snow? We're all gonna die!

That has saved me at least one tire. I had a bad puncture (had to be patched) but the tire was still holding some air. Had I driven on it I could have ruined the tire because it was a slow leak (it would depend on if it went completely flat while I was driving).

It can be aggravating for two reasons though - 1) It does not instantly reset if you re-inflate the tire to the right pressure and 2) It can be triggered by cold weather dropping down your tire pressure.

My car's system also doesn't tell me which tire is low.

If you trust them, the maintance minder is also good because it reminds you when to do the less-frequent maintenance items (transmission fluid change, coolant change, etc).

19. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

well...so far I haven't even reached the limits on this car, other than the one accidental incident. It's still too new to push it deliberately. I want the car to last a long time or I'd be seeing what it could really do. Even so, it's handling is far better than any car I've driven in a long time.

20. M&P15T

It's not too new. And you wont hurt it by pushing it a bit.

It's just tires, they get replaced. Just don't crash.