New Carry Set Up

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Dobie, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Dobie

Dobie

I carried a G21 for ever in a fanny pack and decided to lighten up and go IWB so I went gun shopping about three months ago to start with. No way I was going to try the G21 in Florida weather. Stcking to my 45 caliber I settled on a Kahr CW45 for the size and weight it offered in the ACP caliber I was used to (had G30 & G36 in the past, no thanks). Put a CT Laserguard on it and started practicing. The Kahr trigger is harder to shoot than the Glock or maybe I am just more experienced with the Glock trigger. Kahr has a long stroke and long reset (but its super smooth). The Kahr is verry accurate if you do your part but your part is harder IMO. I also bought a G26 so I could have some choices and shoot cheaper with the 9mm. Long story short while I shoot the CW45 decent I shoot the G26 better and decided to make it my EDC. Never carried a 9 before but after shooting the 26 and getting more informed on the current 9 mil ammo performance I decided it was going to be my choice. No caliber debate as I love the 45 ACP and if I shot it as well as the 9 in a subcompact Glock I would carry it. I thought about G39 but decided the cost was higher to shoot and though I havent shot one I couldnt imagine shooting it better that the 26. So I went with what I am shooting best and can afford to shoot more.
    Anyhow to get to some questions. I just ordered a CT Laserguard for the 26 and a Cross Breed Supertuck to fit.
    I need a gun belt and like the Wilderness style for the way I dress, casual jeans / shorts with T shirt mostly. I saw some 5.11 tactical belts on sale locally and they look the same as the wilderness but a little cheaper and I can try it on to get the fit. I am thinking a black belt to match the clips on the holster. 5.11 any good or just order the Wilderness?
    Also need a back up mag, go 19 mag or 17 mag? how do I carry, just slipped into a pocket or do I need some holder?
    Thinking about some Talon grips also but have been worried out the grip hanging up on clothes or rough on skin. Dont have the holster yet to check the ride.

I have a large Cold Steel Gunsite edition folding knife I kept on the pack for utility and back up when the ammo runs out. I can pocket that now but is on the large side.

What else am I missing?

2. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

The Glock mag holder is as good as anything on the market and <$10.

3. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

I have the 5.11 belt in 1.75 width, & it is a real winner w/me; which says alot beacuse I'm sort of a leather snob. As to your extra mag question, if starting from scratch, I'd go w/the G19 mag. It's only 2 rounds shy of the G17 mag, but should be easier to conceal. Me personally, I carry a stock/factory length G27 mag as a reload for my G27. It fits nicely in the 5th/watch pocket on my jeans, so I can forgo an extra item to carry & conceal on my belt.

4. Dobie

Dobie

Thanks for the advice on the 5.11 belt. I will pick one up this weekend since its local and I can get the right fit in person. Will also consider just sticking with the second 26 mag for carry. I didnt know if there were pocket magazine holders that would not print but keep it handy and clean. If not maybe they should. Not to crazy about carrying the mag on the belt. Its another thing to keep concealed with the shirt.

5. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

This is at least the second thread, where I have read about carrying a spare mag in the watch / 5th pocket. I am having a difficult time picturing how this works. I will just have to try it.
    My Supertuck has not arrived, yet, so I have not had the opportunity to "try things out". I have a Gerber "Hands Free" multi-tool sheath that completely conceals a G23 13 rnd Mag. Ordered a G22 15 rnd Mag, today, to see if it will fit in the Gerber sheath.
    I really appreciate all I can read and learn, here, though.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  6. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

the 5th/watch pocket works well for a stock length subcompact mag. I don't know how well this would work w/a compact or full sized mag (or a 33 for that matter!), though.

For me, placement in the pocket is bullets down & forward. I'm a Southpaw shooter, so it works well for me this way.

7. Dobie

Dobie

I am right handed and the watch pocket on the strong side for the mag isnt the best choice I think. I saw the Desantis Mag-Packer on another thread and might give it a try.
    [​IMG]