Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Paper Killer
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently carry a G23 as that is my only compact pistol. I may be in the market for a new compact pistol. Does anyone see a difference in the way a G23 carries vs a G27? I've shot the G27 and I had a hard time shooting it one handed. The G27 looks only marginally smaller than my G23. Is that even worth the money? What other subcompact weapons would you guys throwing there? I would be using this for mainly jogging and biking and maybe summer concealment.

·
Premium Member
42,135 Posts
I went from a 23 to a 26.
While it is a small difference, I think it being carried makes a big difference.
South Florida, IWB, OWB, Smart Carry and a pocket holster, tons of options
available with a 26/27

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
G19 (same size as the G23) is the smallest handgun I have.

I conceal carry every day, mostly with a G17.

·
Cool Cat
12,111 Posts
HK P2000sk .40 S&W :supergrin: :cool:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have and carry IWB a 27 or a 19 (same size as 23). While the difference in size is marginal, there are times when no matter how I try, my 19 will print while the 27 won't. It 's really nice to have both, and you can use magazines from your 23 in the 27. I must admit though, that I really love the feel of the 19 better, and having all those rounds is a definite confidence builder.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
i carry a G17, G19 and a G26. Both IWB and OWB. you can feel the difference with each size. by down sizing, not only does the gun get lighter and smaller, but, the magazine gets lighter due to fewer cartridges. it all makes a difference. to some it matters, to others, not so much.

personally, i prefer the G26 IWB. OWB, just depends on the situation. you can also carry a full size magazine that will fit the smaller gun, if you are concerned about having enough rounds.

ked:wavey:

·
Registered
811 Posts
South Florida, IWB, OWB, Smart Carry and a pocket holster, tons of options
available with a 26/27
Ditto for me , BUT, I've got and carry the G23 exclusively (used to be a 19 before my agency mandated .40 cal). YES, I pocket carry my 23 in a Galco pocket holster in a pair of shorts, every non-duty day. It's "for" a 26/27, but the open muzzle design allows the 19/23 to work as well.

FOR ME...the increased size of the 19/23 SIGNIFICANTLY improves my ability to shoot, handle, and retain the weapon. AT THE SAME TIME, the decreased size of the 26/27 DOES NOT SIGNIFICANTLY improve my ability to hide/carry the gun. Frankly, the 26/27 is NOT in the same catagory as a P3AT, LCP, or Airweight J-frame. It is, relatively speaking, a "big heavy gun". Sooooo, if you're making the commitment to carry a "real" gun, I find the 19/23 to be the best of everything and the 26/27 to have no SIGNIFICANT value.

Having said that,....There are LOTS of people who not only "settle" for the 26/27, BUT SWEAR they shoot it better than any of the "larger" Glocks. If that's the case, get the 26/27. But, you've already expressed some "lack of enthusiasm" for the baby Glock, so I think it would be a big mistake for YOU (OP) to get it.

If you want a REALLY "carryable" gun, I recommend the Airweight J-frames. There are trade-offs (fewer rds, slower reloads, less range and accurracy, unpleasant recoil) but, put one in a pocket holster or use the Barami Hip-Grips, and it you'll forget it's there, just like your wallet or car keys.

I don't have any experience with, but am interested in, the Kel-Tec PF9 or P11, and the polymer Khars. Maybe a Rorbaugh if they weren't so pricey.

All of the above is just my OPINION, YMMV, Please don't flame me! The only real "RIGHT" choice is what works for you.

Good luck

·
Registered
140 Posts
I recently begin to shop for a smaller carry gun for the warmer days ahead, I choose the g 27. What a CCW, hides much easier than my Sig 229 but with same fire power. .40 and 21rds(2 10 rd mags and one in the pipe). This is my first glock after 20 years of owning guns. This gun fits well into my every day carry as little as needed mentality.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Get the 27, the same ammo as the 23 makes it a lot easier. I use a MTAC IWB holster and both the 23 and 27 fit perfectly in it. I have no issues concealing the 23 what so ever. Even with smaller fitting shirts, no problems. The 27 definately is easier to conceal though overall the shorter grip makes all the difference.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I too must jump on the j-frame band wagon. Although recoil can be harsh they are a joy to carry, they are perfect for those times you can't carry the G23. I carry a G23 on and off duty, at times the Glock doesn't work, so I throw my j-frame in my pocket. The j-frame requires some range time, but with practice you CAN master them. As for the 26/27 vs the 19/23, do this....take a 26/27 and lay it on top of a 19/23 and you'll see first hand how they compare. Many love them and I have been thinking about a G26, but for what you want to do I say j-frame all the way.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
I currently carry a G23 as that is my only compact pistol. I may be in the market for a new compact pistol. Does anyone see a difference in the way a G23 carries vs a G27? I've shot the G27 and I had a hard time shooting it one handed. The G27 looks only marginally smaller than my G23. Is that even worth the money? What other subcompact weapons would you guys throwing there? I would be using this for mainly jogging and biking and maybe summer concealment.
I started carrying in 2005 when I joined GT. I used a G26 virtually exclusively, IWB, in a C-TAC, as my EDC.

Last month I picked up a G19 and an M-TAC to go along with it.

The G19 is my new EDC.

The subs do carry more readily. Even with a +0 extension they are more comfortable and easier to conceal than a compact. But not by a whole lot. I even carry the G19 tucked at work. My hand fits the compacts like a freaking Glove. Add the longer sight radius, higher velocies (longer barrel), full hand grip and greatly expanded capacity....what's not to love?

·
Registered
18,216 Posts
I have a j frame as a deep cover back up. I can tell you that when you have eight gangbangers around you and you have your Shepherd and your Glock 19 you feel much better than having only the j frame. I have also carried a 27 on the ankle in bdus...it is a heavy brick. I find the 27 to shoot very well and it is a bit smaller than the 19/23 and the dual recoil springs make it pretty easy to shoot. Which ammo were you shooting in the 27 that made it harder to shoot? I like them both equally but have you considered a Kahr Mk9 since they are heavy like Glocks?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I have a 23 and a 27. My 27 has a Pearce +1 on one mag & a +0 on the other. The grip extensions help a lot with control, while not making any difference in concealability.

I am one of those people who swear I shoot better with my 27 than with my 23.

I work right down the street from Glock and they have a nice big open field across the street from their main gate that we sometimes "borrow" for events. We were out there yesterday. Chad, Glock's General Manager, stopped over to say hi and my boss and I were both saying that we shoot better with the sub compacts than the compacts (my boss has a 19 & 26). Chad said that the shorter sight distance makes a difference--the longer the distance between the sights, the thinner the front sight needs to be for a proper sight picture, so they hear it all day long that people are more accurate with the subs.

I shoot fine with my 23, but I shoot better with my 27 and despite the side by side comparison of size, the 27 is MUCH easier to conceal. I can't conceal my 23 with just a t-shirt, but I can conceal my 27 that way all day long.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've got a G27 and it's my carry gun. I shoot it better than my G22. I have little desire for a G23. If I wanted a G23, I'd take the GAP concealable control floorplate off my mag and put a +2 on it, or just jam a G23 mag into it. Sure, the 23 is a bit longer barrel, but hey, like I said, I'm one of those that shoots the 27 better than the full sized Glocks.

I've been looking at the HK P2000SK in 40, held one today at the toy store. Little finger just can't decide where to go. My hands are large. I love this 2000SK but I'm not really sure it's that much, if any, of an upgrade to my G27.

I've probably fired 300-500 rounds thru the G27 and it's never given me any crap. It's a handful due to the small mass, but it's accurate and reliable. I need to just be happy with what I have and stop looking at the HK or a Sig 229/40.

This is a tool. The G27 is really perfect at what its designed to do. No one is supposed to see it. Check. It's got to be accurate. CHeck. Has to have a powerful self defense round.... .40. Check. It's got to be ultra reliable. Check.

So, buying another really small carry gun... just not sure why I should. Spend that money buying more toys for the range or maybe a laser for the G27.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I carry either a 26 or a 19. Ususally the 26 gets a lot more CCW time in the warmer months with a CTAC holster. In the cooler months I will carry either, but typically in a VM2.

The VM2 is more comfy, but it leaves a bigger, leather footprint on my body and that can tend to get a little tiresome in the warmer months. The 26 w/ CTAC is much lighter and "cooler" feeling for my body type in the summer.

By the way, I too am one of those guys that shoots better with my 26 vs my 19. Love 'em both, but there is a shootability difference and a ccw diff for me.

I am with my 26/19 I carry a backup mag of either 2 Glock 19 mags or 1 Glock 17 mag...

Plenty of "juice" with either combo of spare mag configs.

Best to you-

1 - 20 of 33 Posts