close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Carry .45 (non Glock)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cal45, Nov 27, 2002.

1. cal45

cal45

Having a G30 and being happy with it. I wanted a thinner carry that wasn't the G36 - for some reason it doesn't fit my hand. Anyway, came across this at the gun show this past weekend - its a S&W 457 in stainless. Flame away if you guys need to but this is one well made and thin 7 + 1 .45 carry.

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Try to engage and disengage the safety. Me and my little paws cannot do it without utterly changing my grip.

DanH

3. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

I happen to really like S&W autos (and revos). They're beautifully machined, and every one I've had shoots great. Enjoy it!

4. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Nice.

I'm still on the prowl for a SW 3913.

5. MtnBiker

MtnBiker NRA Member Millennium Member

I hope your S & W auto is more accurate than mine. I have two. Neither one is very accurate.

For a long time I thought I just couldn't shoot semi-auto pistols. Then I tried Glock, Ruger, Colt.

I wish you luck!

6. DoubleDog

DoubleDog Grrrrr.....

I looked at a used one a while back, and it felt really good in my hand...How's it shoot?

DD~

7. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

cal, I've had a 4506, a 4516, a 945, a 4006, and a 4576. I loved them all and don't even get me started on all the S&W revolvers I've had. Smith & Wesson makes great firearms. Period.

8. Eddie C.

Oh yeah I forgot about my shorty 40 and my shorty 45. Okay, okay, minds out of the gutter there! They were all great guns.

9. cal45

cal45

Glad to see other positive reviews. Looks like Eddie C is doing his best to keep up w/S&W's complete catalog ;f

Duncan - If you can't find a 3913, check out the 908 stainless. Its probably cheaper and is like a "pre-tactical" version of the 3913.

My hands can manage the safety fine without changing my grip..looking to try it out this weekend

10. Eddie C.

Your right cal. Oh yeah I forgot the Model 41 with the 7" bbl.(one of the ones I still get real mad at myself for selling...Damn those 1911's) and the 459. I will think of more yet I'm sure. Maybe it'll be easier to just list the ones I haven't owned;f

11. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

I rented a S&W 457 once and found it to be very accurate. The only trouble that I had with it, probably because it was a dirty range rental, was that the slide didn't always go all the forward into battery. At least it wouldn't discharge until I manually pushed the slide forward into battery.

12. fastbolt

fastbolt

Very nice pistol ...

I've put a respectable number of rounds downrange through personally owned 4513TSW & CS45 pistols ... not to mention a lot of other regular production "3rd generation" models ... 4516-1, 4506, 457, 4566, 4566TSW, 4563TSW ...

After having seen somewhere in the neighborhood of 750,000-1,000,000 rounds go downrange in S&W pistols in the last 13-15 years ... an embarrassing number of which were mine ... (hey, that's what training budgets and firearms training units are for, right ;)) ... I've become of the opinion that with rare exception, if a S&W pistol won't shoot into the same hole somewhere between 7-10 yards, it ISN'T the pistol, it's me ... Naturally, this has been easier to achieve with the "latest" production pistols with more CNC production involved, since the mid-90's, give or take, but still ... the pistols are more than adequate for range enjoyment and personal defensive accuracy. I've seen accuracy noticeably improve after older barrels had their chambers reamed and muzzles crowned, too ...

I think you're going to enjoy your new pistol ... and now that S&W has reintroduced stainless slides to their Value line I might add one to my collection sometime, rather than pay the extra money for the TSW version. My 4513TSW is one of the early ones that uses the 6-round magazines, and I wouldn't mind having one of the 457S pistols that use the 7-round magazines, and has a slightly more "comfortable" grip frame in size ...

13. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

the only thing i've heard about s&w is their autos are awful and they had a problem with frames cracking that they wouldn't admit to.

their revolvers are very well made.

14. davesglock30

davesglock30

we use the smith&wesson 9mm pistols(i don't know the model #) in the florida dept. of corrections. they shoot very nice and they must be pretty rugged because they get really piss poor cleanings. they leave it up to the people that are shooting them to clean them instead of the armoror and they all just want to qualify and go home so they douse the whole gun (even down in the trigger assembly!) with the super el-cheapo gun cleaner they have and scrub it with a tooth brush for about 5 seconds and wipe it off. even with that horrible form of cleaning i haven't seen one malfunction yet. hey as long as it's a .45 it's a great gun in my eyes!!:)

15. Bandit

Bandit Team Beer

No flames from me.. if it's .45 ACP, it's gotta be good! ;f Nice pistol from a decent manufacturer. Not my choice of action, but it's not my pistol either. It'll make a great carry gun.

Just my .02 worth,

Rick [​IMG]

16. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I had a 4516 and a 457 for quite a while. I liked them both, but the high bore axis and heavy DA triggers eventually caused me to sell them. They were both 100% reliable and pretty accurate. I've fired a lot of pistols that didn't perform nearly as well, but I can't really say that I miss them. They just weren't my cup of tea. But if they suit you, they will perform well. I respect them both.

17. oldsmith

oldsmith

Sweet. I shot one today at the range. I really like the grip and trigger was nice. It did have a decent amount of muzzle flip, but not too bad for a .45. I thinking of getting one soon. Like Mr. Dobbs, I like Smith and Wesson semi-auto pistols.

18. Hero45

Hero45

I don't like 457's because an X-friend once pointed a loaded 457 at my head and pulled the trigger!

19. Eddie C.

Hero, who in the world would do something like that? Even with an empty gun that's not funny;L Glad to hear he's your exfriend. I take it there was no bullet in the pipe? I hope.

20. Hero45

Hero45

Actually, he killed me.....Gotcha ;f ;f