close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Career in LE ?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by crazyrec12, Jan 17, 2010.

1. crazyrec12

crazyrec12 cornbread

edited

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

If it's just cannabis as you say, it depends on what other factors may be along with that. I would recommend waiting a little while until you have about seven years in your past without the drugs, and keep a steady job while doing so. I would even recommend the military, as they need to eat, and fitness is an important item, including as a food preparer. Of course, you could always go to OCS if they are taking applicants or be a warrant officer.

If you want to keep your girlfriend on board, she would have to be supportive either way.

3. trifecta

trifecta

Like Hack said, there needs to be some time away from the green before you apply. Different agencies have different policies on the amount of time. You could try going to the fire department. Some of the same substance use issues for you, but a guy with CIA experience would be real popular at lunch time.

4. crazyrec12

crazyrec12 cornbread

edited

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. Bushido5150

Bushido5150

Most departments say they want 3-5 years since last use of weed. 7 years would be the more realistic number though.

6. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Well on federal applications, they will ask if you have involved up to a certain length of years. Depending on agency, it could be if you have ever been involved at all.

7. C.Smith

C.Smith Millennium Member

My department is 5 years without, or least it was when I got hired.

Corey

8. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I have a detective who is attending pastry school at the CIA. We get to judge his skills a couple of time a week. As one of the premier cooking schools in this country, you have everything to be proud of.

IMHO, perhaps a badge and gun are not for you, but a position as a firefighter may be ideal. And CA has those horrendous forrest fires every year, so perhaps you can apply as a seasonal FF to see how you like it. FF are known to eat good, and I'm sure there'd be plenty of camaraderie to go around. And if during the course of fighting a forest fire you run across a field of cannabis, that's what those big FF boots are for. Just saying. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  9. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I can't say I've known anyone who was a regular user for years. Occasional, intermittent, or experimental use yes, but not what you've described.

Whatever time distance the state requires is one thing...but if you honestly disclose that you were a dedicated pothead for an extended period of time, I'm not sure that you'll get hired. I would think 7-10 years or more would give you your best chance.

10. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

First of all, learn to use the ENTER button. Paragraphs are your friends. Type like that and most people will just skip most of it.

If you want to be a cop in CA, look up the POST Standards. www.post.ca.gov

It is our state standard for pretty much every agency in the state. Then call your local department and ask to talk to the recruiter or personnel sergeant. Tell them your story and see if they tell you not to waste your time... which wastes their time.

11. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

I agree that you want to put as much time between your last use and your application as possible. It really does depend on what agency you're trying to get in with. For instance, Detroit will hire you with certain felonies on your record, as long as they get expunged. But for all the reasons you've mentioned, I also would recommend looking into becoming a hose puller, er, basement saver, um, fire fighter. They're the tightest-knit group of whores I've ever met, and your culinary skills would make you VERY popular!

12. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

LOL, that was outstanding.

13. biglaake

biglaake

Like others have said, its going to take years past your last smoke out for most departments. One thing I would caution you on is the belief that your going to help people. Unfortunately this job very rarely gives you those opportunities. The guy you just arrested for beating his wife, well now she hates you more than the guy that hits her. You will be dealing with people at their worst and you will not be counseling them during this time you will be arresting them. Yes there is times that you do get to help someone out of a bad situations. Just remember those times don't come very often. When they do they do make you feel much better about what you do.

I would suggest to do some reading, the book I love a Cop and Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement are good starts. They may give you more insight into becoming a cop.

14. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

My primary motivation to get into law enforcement was "to help people." I made the mistake of saying that when asked in the academy. I was mocked by instructors and classmates for weeks because of that. I was told if I wanted to help people to go be a fireman. We were told by a patrol captain "Protect and Serve is bull****. I don't serve nobody."

10 years later, my motivation for staying in law enforcement is still "to help people." The majority of the population appreciates us ans respects us. Dealing with the dregs makes us jaded and cynical. I love people. I also hate people.

To use your words, I would caution you to not confuse frequent "thank-yous" with helping people. I go out of my way and bend over backwards for citizens. I enjoy that almost as much as hooking up a drunk, getting dope, or charging a thief. We all help people daily in one way ot another. If we lose sight of that, at minimum, we need to reevaluate. At most, we need to start looking for another line of work, or a change of scenery out of patrol.

15. biglaake

biglaake

OBXEMT, I agree with you. That was my primary reason for getting into LE. Where I grew up you knew they guys in uniform would go out of the way to help you. Unfortunately where I work that view is not shared by most. The department I work for is the type that wants to dicipline officers for not having enough arrests even though they have a high number of contacts. I find it unfortunate that the department I work for encourages officers to tag a person for everything in the code book. It has distorted my outlook on Law Enforcement. I still remember a deputy I reserved with always told me "you can write a person for every fine imaginable, but remember is that going to help them at all. Or will it cause them to miss rent this month, or cause a fight at home over money they don't have". His perspective was just because you can doesn't mean you should. I still work at providing the best service I can and staying out of my brass' office asking why I didn't do it their way.

It is gotten to the point where I work we have lost almost thirty officers in nine years, and only 5 of them were retirements. Mostly due to other leaving for other departments or federal employment. I am looking forward to my exit interview in a few weeks so I can voice my concerns. But like most cops I don't know how to do anything else, or would want to. So I am leaving for a state gig.

I understand your statements and agree with you. I only wish I would have been able to get things changed where I work to make it a better department instead of having to leave to avoid the constant frustration and worrying about what the command staff is cooking up next.

Crazrec12 If being a cop is what you want, do it. But try to not let yourself become jaded, stand up for what you know is right even if it puts you on the brass' radar, its not a comfortable feeling but atleast you will know its right. I just caution you to do your homework before getting into this. There isn't a lot of jobs like this profession. It is not a decision to be considered lightly.

Good luck

Paul.

16. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I completely understand. I still thoroughly enjoy "tagging" those who deserve it. Like I just posted in another thread, I equally enjoy giving warnings to those who will benefit from them.

Exactly. I take that into consideration now more than ever. Dangerous violations and crimes, I won't lose any sleep. Sometimes we're helping others by helping a jackass get his/her license revoked! :supergrin:

You da man! :wavey: I'm sorry it has led to your leaving though. Hopefully your new job will be more fulfilling and fit your personality better.

True that. As much as I despise the "customer service" business language being used in law enforcement, there's something to the concept...its the over-the-top application that puts me off sometimes.