New car for cheaper payment. Silly?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Budqweiser, Oct 20, 2020.

1. jmohme

jmohme

I prefer to keep my wife in a vehicle with warranty and a decent dealer to take care of her during the 44 weeks of the year that I am on the road.

For me, I drive older, high mileage, paid for vehicles, and carry tools to take care of any problems.
    I drive em till they drop!

I hate car payments!

2. light-switch

light-switch Back to work...

Do it, so people like me that buy used without borrowing money can continue to save money.

I'm no financial guru (quite the opposite), but I've taken enough financial lumps in my life to learn I don't make enough money to buy new cars.

In fact, the older I get, the more frugal I have become.

G30SF/F-250, Cheseldine and Haldor like this.

3. snorko

snorko NRA Life Member

Economics aside: my 2013 Outback got totaled almost 2 years ago. I bought it new and loved it. When I looked at the newer Subarus they had improved the few things I disliked on the Forester and I ended up with a 2019 (middle trim level). Changes I liked included the wider lift gate, removal of the e-brake handle (dug into my thigh) and the power and cvt transmission were improved. You sit a little taller in the Forester which is nice and thr ride is smoother for the 19 Forester over the 13 Outback. Things like the standard Eyesight system, info screen, auto lift/closing hatch are nice too.

rugercat78 likes this.
  4. snorko

snorko NRA Life Member

Heck I just saw they are offering 0% financing for 63 months. Free money is nice.

5. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

There is no such thing as 0% interest.

45caldan, light-switch and Haldor like this.
  6. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

It’s up to you. If you want a new car (not trusting old on IMO dang good reason)
    You have the $$$ info. 5 yrs old 120k? It should be good yet. But should have decent trade value. Consider what you have paid on 2015, what you still owe. (If I understood you)
    Wild numbers $250 month you maybe have $15k spent on car. But you know it’s current value. New cost of new car.. then decide. It might wind up you are getting a new model for $100 a month. (Or something).

7. Chowser

Chowser

They were offering 0% for 63 months last month. Not sure what the deals are this month. I bought my daughter a brand new Impreza last month. Figured it was better than putting money into her rusting '07 HHR which was about to need a battery, alternator, serpentine belt, wheel bearings, brakes, etc. She turned 18 so the reduction in child support pays for her car. lol

Inyo Tim likes this.
  8. Resqu2

Resqu2

Who would I be to tell you don’t do it? My ride is a month old lol
    B0F4E4AC-24E5-4B7F-8E11-A7793E46CE51.jpeg

9. fg17

fg17

Depends, some people do not mind debt and would rather not -live like no one else right now so later they can live like no one else in the distant future-.:D

OwenP likes this.
  10. ray9898

ray9898

I think there are only 5 or 6 people on Glocktalk who haven't bought all their cars with cash shortly after they wrote the check for their first home at 18.

11. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

Car shopping is like a big game the salesmen play daily, the consumer play not very often. Remember salesmen is not your friend, house pay him, or her on the amount of money he, or she make com deal.

Edmonds Dot Com had good artical about the game & scams dealers play.

Confession of a Car Salersman.

Read, study, before steping foot on any dealers lot.

12. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

Be sure to post some pictures of your new ride, if you buy it. I wish you well no matter what your decision is.

13. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Paying cash means you end up paying less. Forget the cost of financing. Those auctions I bought my last two vehicles at where cash only. That exact same model F150 with double the mileage (100K) was going for $15K at the used car dealers (I had been shopping for months). I was bidding against car dealer buyers in that auction.

It was the best item for sale at the auction. Owned by Maricopa country with full service records. Most similar age trucks there had over 200K miles on them, that one only had 45K. Must have been a managers truck. I doubt if it ever saw snow (there wasn't a spot of rust on it anywhere).

I love this place. They sell predominately utility and government owned vehicles. 10% buyers premium. Go on a blistering hot day (August) and there is a lot less competition. Great place to buy a work truck.

https://wsmauctioneers.com/

Got my E350 from the same place.

14. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

I look at a car payment as how much I am willing to pay for reliable transportation from point a to b. I don't worry much about paying them off because by the time I drive one four or five years its time for a new one.

And for everyone about to tell me thats stupid, I can lose a car payment worth of money if I'm out of work for a couple of days due to mechanical problems. I buy cheap compact cars and wear them out. It's just easier for me to not worry about down time however my situation may be different from yours.

With that being said I manage to keep my car payment around $350 a month.

fg17 likes this.
  15. Butch_Coolidge

Butch_Coolidge

I say do it. You may be able to get 0% financing on some models. They want to move some vehicles. You could possibly push for some extra money for your ride, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Butch_Coolidge

Butch_Coolidge

16 Trek, bought it new. Just turned 51k. Just about to replace the factory tires this week. No regrets. Plenty of power to get on the highway and go fast enough to get a ticket. I think the 21’s have the option for a 2.5. I’m not getting rid of mine anytime soon. Pull the trigger dude. Inanimate objects bring pleasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

My advise in this thread is next to worthless because I’m a gear head and trade cars every 2-3 years. It’s a vice, but I like it. I try to put a considerable amount down with cash and/or trade. I buy vehicles that retain resale better than most and finance at low interest rates. I know I could do better money wise but I like cars. My ride is most always under warranty. Can’t remember the last time I bought tires or a battery.

18. Jeff S.

Jeff S. Heart of the Rockies

I have a 2015 Forester with 230,000 miles on it, that I bought new. It’s been a great car. It has adequate power. It feels fast around town, and I can easily pass slow cars, but you aren’t going to win any races. Merging onto freeways is easy, but, again, it’s not going to shove you into the back of the seat when you throttle down. The trade off is, you easily get 32MPG on the highway. I’ve done a lot of camping with it, and consequently a lot of (soft) off roading. I’ve taken it everywhere I took my 4Runner (the vehicle my Forester replaced), albeit I’m not the sort who off roads for the sake of off-reading.

Its a good little CUV with a great AWD system, and it oozes practicality and utilitarianism. My wife has a new Mazda CX5, and it feels like a luxury vehicle. It’s so much nicer than the Forester, RAV4, CRV, etc. The difference is, I wouldn’t want to use a CX5 as a camping car. The CX5 also comes in a turbo (the one that’s in the CX9) that puts out something like 300 ft-lbs of torque at 2,000 RPM. That’s a blast to drive.

I think I can relate to you in the sense that you’re looking for your car to check a lot of boxes, but the reality is that a car with an AWD system that’s always engaged, has class leading ground clearance, and good MPG is going to compromise on something. As for the payments, I can see it both ways. If you’re living paycheck-to-paycheck, then maybe pay off your car for awhile and start a saving account. Otherwise, peace of mind is important, and life is too short to drive something your don’t like or trust.

19. Chowser

Chowser

My daughter's 2020 Impreza has the 150hp 4 cyl. It gets on the freeway fine. Not as fast as my 4cyl BMW, but it's good enough for her.

20. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

Thank you for sharing your experiences fellas. I’m wishing I could get one with a manual but I think they discontinued those a couple years ago. Crosstrek has a 6 speed but I don’t know if I want to go that small.