GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 199 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
First you have been taking care of your present car right? You will have some maintenance repair after time. Things wear and need replacing. You have mechanical skills right. Rock Auto, Car Parts, are online parts. NAPA, Auto Zone. O'Reilly's are brick and mortar store with online capability.

Just a couple more years? Like 24 extra payments. Payments now $200 and the will creep 'Just a little' say to $230 times 24 is around $5500 plus you might owe that extra $30 for the rest of your current loan say 30 months x $30, another $900,

CV Axles are the most common wear item in FWD and Outback's might have other problems, but new CV's are $50 to $65 each from Rock Auto.

Give yourself something to do that is meaningful. Save the extra money in a Roth IRA.

·
Registered
26,577 Posts
Do it. Peace of mind is worth a lot

·
ZekerMan
2,053 Posts
Do it if the payment won't put you in a bind. I have a 18 Forester Premium and REALLY like it, I think the Forester looks better than the Outback as well. I think you can disable the Auto Stop Start easier on the Forester as well. Mine was the last yr. without the ASS system.

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the replies. I’m toying with the idea. My dealership is ready to make great deals recently. I think they are hurting for business.

·
****** Viejo
28,816 Posts
If I could get a new car for less than I'm paying for my old car, I would be trading it. Trust your gut. tom.

Reactions: Mtnfolk75

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If I could get a new car for less than I'm paying for my old car, I would be trading it. Trust your gut. tom.
That’s what they are offering. Of course it would mean a new 5 year loan. I’ve been treating a car payment like a Netflix payment for the last few years so a smaller one would be easier to deal with. Yes I know I wouldn’t own it for a while. But I just got a new job 7 months ago that is economy proof.

·
Previously nutsnax
696 Posts
I can buy a new car and get a cheaper payment for only a couple years more. Seems worth it for the warranty. I’d be trading in a Subaru for another. Mine has 120K. WhT say you? I know what you will say already but talk me out of a new car.
Taking out more debt when the world appears to be slowly (until quickly) coming apart seems like a really bad idea.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
We aren't payment buyers by any means, but my wife and I are both at peace with the fact that we will always have a car payment-Most probably for my wife's car. It is what it is... I'll probably pay off our home and still have a car payment...That said, I'd say go for it. If you don't trust your outback with the mileage, the peace of mind is worth the new loan as far as I'm concerned. Hell, you should be able to get a rate close to 0%, so the loan should also be cheap.

Reactions: Butch_Coolidge

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
We aren't payment buyers by any means, but my wife and I are both at peace with the fact that we will always have a car payment-Most probably for my wife's car. It is what it is... I'll probably pay off our home and still have a car payment...That said, I'd say go for it. If you don't trust your outback with the mileage, the peace of mind is worth the new loan as far as I'm concerned. Hell, you should be able to get a rate close to 0%, so the loan should also be cheap.
It’s great for around town and might be okay for trips but it’s getting where it will need a full suspension rebuild. I wouldn’t go into the desert with it. I like it a lot so I am torn, hence the question. Drop 2-3K into a car with 120K miles or just get a different horse. I bet a new one would take me into retirement.

·
****** Viejo
28,816 Posts
It’s great for around town and might be okay for trips but it’s getting where it will need a full suspension rebuild. I wouldn’t go into the desert with it. I like it a lot so I am torn, hence the question. Drop 2-3K into a car with 120K miles or just get a different horse. I bet a new one would take me into retirement.
Only you can solve this situation. tom. :cowboy:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have driven Toyota’s for 20+ years. Never got rid of one under 200k miles. My 2012 Tacoma has 210k on it and gets driven 120 miles a day. If your at 120k and are worried about it, I’m not sure I would look at the same brand. If your telling yourself your worried about it just to make yourself feel better about trading it, that’s another thing lol.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I am a believer in repairing thing instead of replacing them, but where will you be when it unexpectedly breaks?
I recently reluctantly traded in my 18 year old car (paid off 16 years ago) for a new one.
Buying new works for me because I will keep it for a very long time.
At my age, it is probably the last car I will buy.

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
If it will make you happy (And you can afford it)....DO IT....YOLO...
.................................(You Only Live Once)
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:cheers:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
Well if Honda has a comparable vehicle I’d look at them. I need a real AWD system so they are out.
That’s just it, Subaru’s have always filled a niche. I drove Accords when I provided my own vehicle. For the money, they were bullet proof.

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
That’s just it, Subaru’s have always filled a niche. I drove Accords when I provided my own vehicle. For the money, they were bullet proof.
I’d love to buy a brand new 1988 Accord. Honestly my biggest reason not to is the loss of power going to a 4 cyl engine. I know they have come a long way but it is the biggest hitch.

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
By the way I hope you guys are doing well in your new digs in TN. You have the cutest kid in the world. I know you will be the perfect dad.

21 - 40 of 199 Posts