GlockTalk Forum banner

181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
28,500 Posts
Like I posted - I bet some do --

I am also 100% sure that a lot of buyers agree to pay more that they otherwise would have - because of the promotion.

A car deal has a lot of moving parts - and a large % of the population are total morons -

OK - in some promotions you can take the zero % loan or get a rebate - but not both -

In these cases - sometimes taking the rebate + a regular loan with interest will give you a better deal - lower overall cost - but some people will not even ask about that - they will just grab the "free" interest - because they are lazy and stupid.

Plus - how do you even know what price you could have gotten if the program was not in effect? You can't - you are just assuming the deal is always the same - and sometimes it is - but sometimes it is not. That is true with GM, Ford, Toyota or anyone else - the dealership is an independent business - they decide the details of the deal.

Say they gave you $18,000 trade in - what would you have gotten if there was no interest free program going on? You can say - well they would never change the trade in amount because of an interest free program - that isn't fair! But we all know that most dealerships will negotiate the best deal they can - and when a special promo is going on they can - and most likely do - adjust things like trade in allowances and best bottom like price because of the promo.

To think otherwise means you don't think a dealership tries to make the best deal FOR THEMSELVES -
As I've mentioned a few times, it's dependent on the part of the country, and the dealership(s). You're talking about your area, your local dealerships, and your experiences. Plus assumptions about how other people buy vehicles.

And I'm talking about what happens, specifically, in this area with Ford vehicle sales, and how I buy. Which anyone can do.

In this area, two local massive volume dealers put their bottom-line prices on the internet. No need to go in, or talk to anyone. You know the prices, and they're great, all year round.

Then a certain time of the year (evidently except for this year, LOL!!), 0% hits.

I'll tell you how I've purchased my last 3 Mustangs;

Get the price on the internet. Since the two dealerships are basically at the same stupidly low prices, it's more about finding the right car with the right options, when 0% is going on.

Get the KBB value on my car. Of course I know what I owe on it.

Then I do the math; car price + tax/title/plate transfer - equity from trade in = price of vehicle. Price of vehicle/by 72 months at 0%. This gives me the exact monthly payment, to the penny.

I walk into the dealership. I have all that info printed up, the math detailed out. I tell them which car I want (stock number is on the paper with the math) and hand them the printed details of the purchase. I do not haggle, I do not take counter offers. I explain it's a simple yes or no situation. I've never had them say no.

And I'm out the door with the car in an hour or so.

Purchasing a car is all about homework, patience, and planning. People that buy on emotion screw themselves.

With my current car, the sales manager told me he lost money on the car. I'm sure that's 100% bull****, but it's nice to hear.

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
This thread jogged my memory -

I was trying to buy a new car for my wife -

We had narrowed it down to the Toyota Cressida, the Mazda 929 and the Acura Legend.

It was December of 1990 - they don't even sell any of these today.

We liked them all - but the top two were the Legend and the Cressida

I tried my best to negotiate a deal on both of them - the Toyota was the best deal - my wife like it but she also liked the Legend.

We were dragging our feet a little - and were trying to decide if we wanted to look at any other cars or just grab the Cressida - when a rebate offer came out on the Legend.

If I took the price I had negotiated and subtracted the rebate - it was lower than the best deal I had worked on with the Cressida - so I went into Acura and tried to make that deal.

I can't recall the numbers - but think I can get close - something like

The Acura price I had negotiated was $20,500 - the Cressida was $19,000. But when Acura offered a $2K rebate - that would make it $18,500.

The Acura dealer flat out refused my offer - what was an acceptable deal to them the week before - $20,500 - was a NO WAY at $18,500 even with Acura offering a rebate of $2,000.

I never determined what the best price they would sell me the Legend for with the rebate - or if I did I can't remember it - I went to Toyota and bought the Cressida - but there is no doubt in my mind that prices change when promotions come out.

Maybe I could have grabbed the Legend for $20,200 or $20,000 - I don't know - but in my case the dealership absolutely refused to pass on 100% of the savings the rebate offered.

The Cressida was one fine car - had a straight 6 - I think it was the smoothest engine I ever had in any vehicle. IIRC it was the same engine they put in the Supra - it was rear wheel drive too -

I saw one like it on the road a while back - same color even - just like this one.

When we traded it in - my daughter must have been about 8 - it was really the only car she had ever known because we got it when she was about to turn 2. She was a little upset we were getting rid of it - and she ask me what would happen to the car after we got a new one.

I told her that some fat guy would buy it and he would fart on the seats -

My joke didn't go over very well. She started crying - and said she wanted to keep it.

We still LOL about it.

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
Just an aside about extended warranties... my biggest reason for getting one is if I am financing a car, I want it fully warrantied while I am making payments on it. Nothing like the feeling to have to pay for a large repair bill while still making payments on the car.

Also, you can negotiate the cost of a warranty!! And you don't have to get from the dealership selling you the car. Using the internet I found a Ford dealership in Kansas (or Kentucky, I don't remember) selling full factory warranties for Fords to, well, anyone with a Ford. My local dealership ended up selling me a warranty for almost half what they originally said it would cost when I brought up buying one online from a different dealership.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Maybe I'm just an unusual driver as well, but so far the only vehicles I've owned have either been totaled or made it to 200k miles or more with just basic maintenance or very minor repairs. I don't baby my vehicles either, to me they are all utility vehicles bought to do a job.

Bought a 2001 Santa Fe with 100k miles on it. Ex wife totaled it at 200k. Total of non maintenance repairs was 1 ignition module. It needed a new lower control arm on the driver's side when it was totaled, but still a relatively inexpensive repair.

My Ford 2000 F450 (very basic model) is at 270k miles. I've only put 35k miles on it and had to rebuild the rear end when I bought it, but doing it myself was right about $1k in parts, and that truck usually makes me money when it's being driven.

2010 VW Sportwagen TDI, bought at 110k miles, now almost to 200k. at least half the time it's got a 2k lb trailer hooked up to it. Only repair it got happened to be covered by a warranty recall (at 150k miles no less). Check engine light has been on for quite a while, but it has to do with the evaporative emissions system and doesn't affect how the car operates at all)

but then, those 3 vehicle models/brands have decent reputations for longevity (the ford basic work trucks do before 2002, then the EPA screwed everything over)

No, not every vehicle is going to make it to 200k or more miles without some type of repairs, some major, some minor, but there are some brands/models with a much higher chance of it than others.
It's not like it's anything new though. A few years back I was reading about a VW Rabbit diesel from the 1980's that had no major repair work on it and was up over 500k miles.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Vehicle engines with timing belts require replacement - years or mileage. I don't necessarily mind having it done, but in my experience, working on the engine with some time and mileage on it results in other things breaking

·
Premium Member
24,837 Posts
We're not here sharing attitudes, opinions, information and observations on the 1 in 10,000. We're looking at average use vehicles.
Actually most are. I was showing WHY some vehicles, drivers get higher milage with fewer repairs.
I drive cross country. 70 mph interstate on cruise. 200+ miles between less then 10 minute stops. (Coasting off interstate, letting it cool a bit before stopping to fuel)
The wear on engine, everything is very low. Compared to car started, immediately driven 60 mph for 5 miles then shut off hot. 4+ hrs later repeated. Hard acceleration, braking...
Which (everything else being equal) do you expect to need repairs sooner? Driving habits matter. Extended warranties are important if you drive rough. If you don’t pay attention, buy high issue cars.
Me I sell when the get over 100k. I look at costs, decide that a newer unit makes sense. (And I’m likely tired of old one). Young people buy them, get good use out of them. It kinda feels good seeing how someone new loves my old car. I don’t feel like I dumped a puppy I didn’t want.
Op is going in eyes open. The “I don’t trust it” was huge to me. New job, late because of car issues.... not good.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Vehicle engines with timing belts require replacement - years or mileage. I don't necessarily mind having it done, but in my experience, working on the engine with some time and mileage on it results in other things breaking
I have been screwed by timing belts breaking before they where due to be repacked!
When I’m in the market for a car it truck I now find out if it has a dam timing belt!
Won’t buy one with them!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just saying it
I think there are only 5 or 6 people on Glocktalk who haven't bought all their cars with cash shortly after they wrote the check for their first home at 18.
just saying it is a plan that can be done. Most people just don’t follow it and want the immediate gradification.

·
Premium Member
24,837 Posts
Just saying it

just saying it is a plan that can be done. Most people just don’t follow it and want the immediate gradification.
My sis knows her car is dying. She still puts $$$$ into it every 3 months. (Which is her choice)
But she has no plan for replacement. As in. “What do I want for next car?” I like to decide model, brand a month before buying. Then start checking prices. Pre Covid I would ask people who have one. “I’m looking at similar car. Which engine do you have? How is it with 4 adults in car?” I have test driven one. I WANTED a outback, Forester. Yrs back. Test drive each. Hated the seats, view... but they were better AWD at the time.
If you can’t bank $400 a month today. How do you think you can make payments of $400 for 5+ yrs? (Plus higher insurance, license...). When you have no car it’s harder to get a decent price. A reasonable offer that isn’t accepted today. Often is in a month. (If car, truck sells who cares? There are more). Salesmen need sales. If they are short. Taking a bit less, but getting the sale...

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,214 Posts
I think there are only 5 or 6 people on Glocktalk who haven't bought all their cars with cash shortly after they wrote the check for their first home at 18.
Did that make you feel better?

18? Not a chance. No maturity, no resources nor any concept of fiscal discipline. Of course I made poor choices and got hosed financially for it. Took me 25 years to grow up enough to stop being stupid about money.

50? Damn straight. That is the last time I bought a car with a payment. I have purchased 3 cars since, all for cash. And I paid off my previous house 6 years into the mortgage and bought my last house for cash. Something about selling a house that doesn't have a mortgage, making it really easy to purchase its replacement for cash.

Being stupid hurts and it is a really nice feeling when you stop being stupid.

·
AAAMAD
30,437 Posts
Did that make you feel better?

18? Not a chance. No maturity, no resources nor any concept of fiscal discipline. Of course I made poor choices and got hosed financially for it. Took me 25 years to grow up enough to stop being stupid about money.

50? Damn straight. That is the last time I bought a car with a payment. I have purchased 3 cars since, all for cash. And I paid off my previous house 6 years into the mortgage and bought my last house for cash. Something about selling a house that doesn't have a mortgage, making it really easy to purchase its replacement for cash.

Being stupid hurts and it is a really nice feeling when you stop being stupid.

I think you’re going to feel stupid again if you ever realize you missed his point completely though.

·
Pinky Out
58,553 Posts
I love when M&P15T is wrong (happens all the time) but keeps typing words thinking it will prove him right (never happens).

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,214 Posts
How about an emoji then? There are plenty of people here who have said exactly those same words only they really meant them (as in they think people who talk that way are bragging and lying).

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
How about an emoji then? There are plenty of people here who have said exactly those same words only they really meant them (as in they think people who talk that way are bragging and lying).
I don’t think their lying, but they are definitely bragging a little. Nothing wrong with that.

I get it. I’m a minimalist I don’t have a lot of debt because I don’t like a lot of stuff, doesn’t add value to my life.

But you said “Being stupid hurts and it is a really nice feeling when you stop being stupid.” Having a little debt doesn’t make someone stupid. Some people don’t care about debt, doesn’t bother them. Some people don’t want to wait a long time, life’s short and then you die. Doesn’t make them stupid.

·
Pinky Out
58,553 Posts
Yep

Totally not your fault......

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,214 Posts
I don’t think their lying, but they are definitely bragging a little. Nothing wrong with that.

I get it. I’m a minimalist I don’t have a lot of debt because I don’t like a lot of stuff, doesn’t add value to my life.

But you said “Being stupid hurts and it is a really nice feeling when you stop being stupid.” Having a little debt doesn’t make someone stupid. Some people don’t care about debt, doesn’t bother them. Some people don’t want to wait a long time, life’s short and then you die. Doesn’t make them stupid.
Living hand to mouth because you are servicing debt is what I am talking about. I was there for years and it really sucks.

Terms that credit cards put on their customers used to be prosecuted as usury in the past (29%!!!).

How about a 79.9% APR?

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/first-premier-79-rate-fees-credit-card-1265/

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I love when M&P15T is wrong (happens all the time) but keeps typing words thinking it will prove him right (never happens).
Yep, just another day in Glocktalk community dynamics lol.

181 - 199 of 199 Posts