close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Canon G6

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by General Sherman, Aug 18, 2004.

1. General Sherman

General Sherman

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Thanks for the heads up. From the first glance it looks exactly like what I've been waiting for: an updated 10D with the latest 8.2MP sensor. I hope they've taken advantage of the 1D technology speeding up responsiveness of the camera as well. I'll wait for the full review on dpreview. Now I have to make sure I have enough business to buy this toy.

3. General Sherman

General Sherman

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

From dpreview:
    Well, yes, but what is much more important is how long it takes before you press the button and the picture is taken. For that we will have to wait for the full review.
    No doubt in 6 months or so they will announce something great again. Nikon's strengths are their light measurement systems and their lenses. I have no doubt they will survive and do well. They have a devoted group of buyers that will wait for new products. Nikon's presence benefits everyone by keeping the heat on Canon and Olympus. That ensures rapid progress and reasonable prices.

5. General Sherman

General Sherman

People I just have to add that the "prosumer" photographic world is rocking with the introduction of the 20D and the G6 by Canon.

It is more astounding than Glock introducing a new model and new caliber.

This is state of the art stuff in the digital photo world.

www.dpreview.com had just today published a mini review of the two new models from Canon. Read that site's forums and reviews. The photo world is shaken, not stirred.

Another site with the reviews of the new Canons is www.dcresource.com
    Jeff did an extensive test of the G6 and a review of the 20D. Test photos are up for the G6 and will follow in a few days on the 20D.

Now as said herein, Nikon will counter with new products and new improvements.

As a note to all, I read that the digital world will not equal film potential until the 13 Megapixel is standard. Now it about half that at best. This means that you can get better enlargements from film than digital until the digital image is about 13 megapixels. I do artsy stuff and blow up to poster size to this is important to me. If you take snapshots, go for the digital now. It will do all and then some.

:)

6. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Mathematically speaking, yes. However, from a point of view of someone who does not personally spend time in the darkroom and does everything himself, to such person digital already matches film because it eliminates the low quality variable of cheap lab processing.
    Precisely - because you do it yourself. In addition, many who do really large prints use medium to large format. That will not be challenged by digital (at an affordable price) for quite a while.

7. RBR

RBR

The problem I have with constantly changing consumer gadgetry is at what point do you buy? There is always something bigger and better coming down the road. But this is good when purchasing discontinued/outdated technology. I have a G3 (bought after the G5 came out) and it has plenty enough resolution/manual control for my shooting,editing & printing needs. If you actually need the higher resolutions for your hobby/business then I understand. I think there are a lot of ill to non-informed consumers buying cameras way over their actual needs because it is the "latest". Some buyers will grow into their camera and may take advantage of all it has to offer. But most others would be better served buying around a 3MP camera and leaving it in Auto mode since their too lazy to read the manual anyways.