close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Camera

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mochahooligan, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Mochahooligan

Mochahooligan

WOW! thanks for all the info guys! I appreciate it very much!

2. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I'll let you know if any real downsides show up. So far it looks like a good deal at $199.00.

3. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Thanks.

4. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Back to the 720p thing.

Apparently, at 1080p and high frame rates memory cards tend to overheat badly when shooting longer scenes. I'm sure the smaller bodies of DSLRs contribute to card heating as well.

At 720p my cards do still tend to heat up quite nicely when shooting video.

According lore all or almost all of "The Avengers" was shot using Canon 7D and 5D and 1D DSLRs.

5. sappy13

sappy13

When are y'all up for cell phone renewals? IV always thought that the best camera is the one u always have on you. The cameras in the flagship phones like iPhone 5, galaxy s3, and HTC one x (att example) are amazingly fast and have great quality.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

6. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I was afraid you would ask that. A an old friend of mine, and a two time Pulitzer Prize winning photographer, told me that during a seminar for pro photographers Canon technical types told the pros to always use 720P and why. But he does not remember why.

I have a 7D and there is zero question that 720P video "looks" better than 1080P. If I had to guess I'd say it's due to less upsampling/interpolation at 720P. I've been told and noticed that stills shot in "small" jpeg look identical to "large" jpegs even though the small jpegs are about 1/2 the size, sometimes smaller than that, in memory size terms.

My 7d is advertised as having an 18 megapixel sensor. That's a lie, the sensor is maybe 9 megapixels upsampled to 18. Everyone does this. I think this is why stills/video taken at closer to the sensor's native resolution look as good as or better than pushing the sensor and brain to the max.[/QUOTE]

The sensor is 18 megapixels. There are 18 million pixel sites on the sensor. Each one is sensitive to only 1 color though. 1 red, 1 blue and 2 green pixels sites is the ratio I believe. Even then 18 / 4 = 4 million+ sites that contain all the colors. 1080 video is only about 2 megapixels.

7. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

They are poor quality compared to any DSLR. Especially in low light and when it comes to subject isolation.