close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New camera: D5200 or D7000

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gregg702, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Thanks to everyone who responded. So far the D7000 seems to be in the lead for me, but there are a few features that the D5200 has that are intriguing. My daughter and I are both very amatuer photographers, so I don't need a professional grade camera, and she is only 12. We have been taking a class and both enjoy it very much though, and I like to encourage any hobby she shows an interest in.

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

Yeah and then he needs to buy all new lenses. Derp.

Agreed.

Don't agree. There are many kit lenses capable of taking stellar shots. Everything is modified in post these days anyways.

Disagree... Yes it's desirable to shoot as wide open as you can at times, but as we all know, the wider the aperture, the bigger the money in most cases. Besides, landscape and architecture photography is generally done stopped down and MOST lenses are sharpest closed up a couple stops.

Big aperture lenses are nice and necessary for DOF work but they're not required for a good photo.

3. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Good reminder about the need to do some degree of photoshopping for pretty much all digital photos.

4. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

What features?

I have some heavy lenses. Most of these are Pro lenses. When thinking about a 12 year old girl carrying a camera, I would have to keep the weight of the rig in mind. I can not just add the best lens for the occasion because it might be too heavy.

5. RWBlue

Because the D7000 has the ability to change the JPG in tha camera to predefined settings, I am surprised at the number of JPGs that go from the camera to being saved without altering.

Then I look at the Raw. All Raw photos must be worked on, but Raw has the data so they can be worked on.

6. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

I like the flip out screen on my current 5100, and the new wifi connecter available for the 5200. That said, I like a lot about the D7000 also, especially the 2 SD slots, and the heavier construction, plus the extra manual controls.

As for the lenses, I want her to start out with my 35mm prime lense, and my 40mm micro lense. both are light weight. We won't be doing heavy lenses for a while, and she can handle them when we do.

7. Patchman

Patchman Florist

A 12 year old? Definitely weight would be a consideration.

About 4 years ago (?), my daughter started using a D3100. She changed the 18x55mm kit lens for a Nikkor 35mm prime and has used that combination for the past 3 years. She played with the D200 for a while and it was too heavy. Then she used the D80 but still prefers the D3100 for it's weight. Although on the larger cameras, she did like the locations of the shutter speed and F-stop controls. (She shoots "M" mode).

As she's going to a Study Abroad program next year in London, she's been hinting of the Fuji x100 (now it's the X100s). :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  8. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

I ended up getting a D7000. The battery is still charging, but it feels much, much more solid than my D5100. I will write more about it when I get a chance to use it some, but I expect to be very happy with it.

9. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Without a doubt, you'll be happy with the D7000. And I look forward to your review.

What lens combo are you using?

10. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Probably gonna play with my 40mm macro lense, and the 35mm prime for a while.

11. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Yeah, the 35 prime is a great lens.

I have the 50mm F1-point-something prime and was experimenting with it when my oldest was in high school. One thing I learned was to photoshop all the photos of her and her friends! The lens was so sharp that it captured every (EVERY) skin/teeth imperfection on every face!

12. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

I also ended up buying the kit with the 18-105mm DX VR ED lense, which has been fun as I have played with it. So far, I love the controls on the D7000, very easy to use. Been shooting in M mode, and it is great how quick you can change aperture and shutterspeed, not to mention the ISO. I also love the extra weight.

13. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Oh, you'll get tired of the weight soon enough! :)

As for the location of the F-stop and shutter speed, definitely. I only shoot in "M" mode so I know. As for ASA film speed/ISO, I only use up to 400 because I love colour. I'm sure the camera can do a lot more! It's just that I'm old school, from the film days.

The best part of digital photo is that delete button. Enjoy!

14. stopatrain

stopatrain Lifetime Member

15. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Here is a quick pic I took of our puppy. No photoshop, as I have no photo editing skills.
    [​IMG]

16. Hawkwood

Hawkwood

After a lot of research, I bought a D7000 before an overseas trip last year. I wanted a camera that I could grow into and I have not been disappointed at all! So far, it's been on four continents and takes amazing pictures. Lots of room for creativity and I've enjoyed every minute of it. It does not have a flip out monitor, which would be nice...but otherwise, that's my only complaint. Enjoy!!

17. RWBlue

OH, yes

That and being able to see the settings. So I know what I did to screw up a shot.

18. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Here is a quick photo, 1/250 shutterspeed, F5.6, with flash.
    [​IMG]
    He is shaking his toy back and forth. I am loving the D7000 so far, lots of customization options, and easier to use than my D5100.

19. kalashluvr

kalashluvr

I have to say this statement is very accurate. If I knew now way I knew 3 years ago I would have gone FX (full framed) and would have save myself losses in purchasing and selling 3 camera bodies. FX took my pics to a different level.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. kalashluvr

kalashluvr

If you get tired of the 35mm get an 85mm 1.8....about $400 if you want a decent lens for less. I went all out and got the 85mm 1.4 ($1600'ish) and all I can say is WOW (its on my D700 FX)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire