New Camera 40D

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by JayAK, Sep 4, 2007.

1. JayAK

JayAK

Well long story short I had been using film for a while with a canon rebel K2 being my first SLR then I moved up to an Elan 7E. About 18-24 months ago I purchased my first digital SLR a Pentax IST DL. I had great fun with this camera. But today "best buy" called me and told me to come get my new Canon EOS 40D!!!!

So right now I only have the a sandisk extreemIII 2 gb card, but shooting in JPG I can hold 471 photos. I also have the BG-E2 grip for it and the 28-135 IS lens. It is a USM it takes 72mm filters. I am really looking to get a macro lens this weekend. I have never owned one,... I have always used the +1,+2....mag filters in the past. What lens would you all suggest thanks...I have not shot a canon in quite a while so I am not savy to all of their lens selections....

Anyone else have this camera? I am just trying to get used to the menus right now and get info on it...what is a good sight to find out more about this camera....it isn't in any rags yet....

JAyAK

2. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

PICTURES!!!

Let us know how it shoots.

3. JayAK

JayAK

It shoots great and it can shoot real fast if you are into that.

I am going to the St. Louis art fair in stl MO this weekend I will have plenty of photos to bring back....this thing is so much better than my pentax it is crazy.

I might also go shoot some HS football shots this weekend as well.

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

There are a few choices for macro lenses. This one is both reasonably priced, has a good focal length, and has an excellent reputation:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=47&sort=7&cat=2&page=1

This one has a stellar reputation, but the price is somewhat steep:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=48&sort=7&cat=2&page=1

It is also somewhat bulky.

This one has both good reputation and price, but is a bit short. That may or may not be a handicap depending on the type of macro you're intending to do:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=48&sort=7&cat=2&page=1

Finally, this one is not from Canon, but has very good reputation and good reach with a reasonable price:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=280&sort=7&cat=38&page=1

However, I would be remiss if I did not mention that some people use regular prime lenses (non-macro) to great effect in macro applications with extension tubes. Check this:

http://www.pbase.com/ronnie_14187/image/84378208

Look at the rest of his macros. He uses a 300mm lens on an APS-C body (Nikon D200).

Good luck with your camera. Hope you will post some pictures soon.

5. JayAK

JayAK

I have some pics that I took real quick b4 it started raining....They are off-hand so-so light with the lens that came with the camera. I think I am going to trade in my 3 old canon lens and 2 film bodies on a good/ok macro friday.

6. JayAK

JayAK

7. JayAK

JayAK

it wont let me post them...

8. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

probably because you're not resizing (shrinking) them. ;)

9. JayAK

JayAK

indeed... I am trying to find a site to host them on so I can just post links...

I have a few unedited pics I shot offhand this weekend in jpg format that turned out ok... I still don't have my macro lens, but the kit lens is not all that bad....

It rained too much for me to really get out there and use it much...

10. JayAK

JayAK

The weather was bad this weekend so I had to make do when I could...these are all shot offhand with the kit lens (no macro yet) and camera set on "M" (manual setting).... The zfly file is the only one that was cropped....also these were all shot in jpg with NO photoshop..... I still need to buy it... :)

11. JayAK

JayAK

that worked great....

try this again...

12. JayAK

JayAK

Crap I don't know why it won't work.....if you cut and past the links into your url address bar they work....I am so retarded when it comes to this stuff..... what am I doing wrong?

13. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

It's telling me I have to register with them to view your pictures. How about just use imageshack.com?

14. JayAK

JayAK

These pics are small hope it is ok that i am doing them this way...if not I will take them off in a day or so anyway...

Flower pic

15. JayAK

JayAK

Camera Pic....this is just to show the cam and what it looks like....its a bad pic because I am trying to get it from all sides and because I am in it...lol

16. JayAK

JayAK

I don't need to explain this one...

17. JayAK

JayAK

hard at work...

18. JayAK

JayAK

19. JayAK

JayAK

bluedragonfly

20. JayAK

JayAK

this is the only file that was edited in any form...it was obviously cropped from the previous file....