New Brazilian G22 ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ChrisD46, Sep 9, 2019.

1. bigsteve113

bigsteve113

Some do, some don’t. Some never will, some develop it later. With about 100 GLOCK .40’s in service in my department, many with WML’s, I just grew weary of trying to figure which ones will, which ones won’t and which ones are gonna start malfunctioning with WML’s. And I saw a lot of it too.

Sucks, because I love the .40, but I love the GLOCK too. I just don’t love GLOCK .40’s with WML’s. Without WML’s they are stellar performers. We had our same Gen 2’ GLOCK.40’s in service for 18 years and couldn’t tear ‘em up. It wasn’t til we all upgraded to Gen 4’s that we noticed the WML issue. The Gen 2’s had no rail, so no issue !

I know this hurts feelings but it is what it is. I wish it wasn’t. Even so, I’ll never get rid of my G23’s and G27. Just won’t put lights on ‘em.

Mr Meeseeks and Railsplitter like this.
  2. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

As far as civilian use goes I have never considered a light to be of great value anyway. Not to mention the fact that lights complicate concealed carry.

RetropM and bigsteve113 like this.

3. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

I was previously issued a Gen 3 G22 with a TLR-1, and never had any trouble from it at all. Neither did any of the other guys at my agency. Currently, I carry a Gen 4 G22 with TLR-1HL both on duty, and off. I haven't had any malfunctions with this pistol/light combo either. I do have another range day/qualification coming up in a couple of weeks, and will report if there are any problems.

As for the usefulness of a light... I love them on a carry gun. If you have ever cleared a building, you know that there are some dark places even on a bright sunny day. The ability to illuminate your target gives the ability to positively distimguish friend from foe. If you are trained on the use of the light, you don't have to worry so much about drawing down on an innocent, or drawing fire to your face with the light.

There can be some downsides to a light, but I find them to be indispensable.

4. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

*Good read Rocky ! Imagine shooting a 9mm +P or +P+ with EVERY round and that simulates what .40 cal does to a G22 and other .40 cal Glocks every time you pull the trigger over the life of the pistol . 9mm & .45 ACP Glocks have no such problems .

Railsplitter likes this.
  5. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

This experience and observation was sometime ago at GSSF matches along with Glock people. The discussion and comments were outlined with a solution. Unfortunately its taken 20 years to get to today. The flexion that some experience with lights was discussed, although lights were not in the discussion but slo- motion clips of the frames under use. The popularity of lights has brought a side bar issue to light as well.

6. Bradd D

Bradd D

I can certainly see the utility of a WML for a police officer, but for me outside my home it doesn't provide much value. I won't be searching buildings or detaining people and if I've drawn my gun a threat has already been identified. I do carry a handheld light and I have weapon mounted and handheld lights available at home. I'd rather carry the extra weight in a larger gun.

Rocky7 likes this.
  7. Deadduck357

Deadduck357

Yes, just like the Brazilian gen5 22.

Ranger357 likes this.
  8. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

For every 2500 .25 cent rounds of ammo shot enough money is spent to buy a new Glock. Ten K rounds doesn't even begin to wear a Glock out but with the ammo money 4 new guns can be purchased. New Glocks can be bought much cheaper than the ammo needed to wear one out so don't sweat the wear.

If SHTF happened today most people (myself included) wouldn't have enough ammo on hand to even come close to wearing out just one handgun.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  9. Buckeye63

Buckeye63

I wonder if anyone will make a 40 S&W conversion barrel for a 45 Gap pistol ?

10. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

It’s been done, but you needed special custom followers for each magazine which kinda killed my interest.

Buckeye63 likes this.
  11. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

*Not sure I would want a caliber (.40 cal) where every round feels like shooting a 9mm +P+ load ? Compare that to shooting 9mm 147 gr. standard pressure in round nose or HST JHP .

12. amd65

amd65

Except that +P+ 9mm just feels like...9mm, to me. Been shooting it for decades.