New Brazilian G22 ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ChrisD46, Sep 9, 2019.

1. bigsteve113

bigsteve113

If a Gen 5 G22 or G23 would fix the WML unreliability issue of the current GLOCK .40 calibers, I'd be all over it. And I'm thinking, a slightly beefed up frame may just be the fix for that.

The WML issue is the reason I switched back the 9mm and .45 caliber GLOCKs both professionally and personally !

michael_b and TacticalDesire like this.
  2. Bradd D

Bradd D

I thought that issue was fixed long ago.

bigsteve113 likes this.

3. JBP55

JBP55

One issue was people overtightening the WML. A local Agency purchased Gen 3 G35 Glocks about 10 years ago and they are still in service with WML without issues. Another local SWAT unit fired a very high number of rounds through their G35 Glocks with WML before replacing them so the WML issue was not universal.

4. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I'd like to see Glock make a Gen 5 in 40 caliber but not with a heavier slide. I've never heard of G27, G23, or G22 slides cracking or coming apart.

Can anyone provide any evidence of this ever happening?

5. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

What is a WML?

6. Bradd D

Bradd D

The only thing I've ever heard of was some cracked Glock 31C frames. I've seen it said that Delta stopped getting Glock 22's due to premature wear, but I don't know what that means.

7. L-2

L-2

WML=weapon mounted light

Mike-M and michael_b like this.
  8. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Thank you.

9. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

You know tests is a interesting thing to say. Anybody in particular ?? Because my testing shows 10mm and 357 sig superior to any 9mm ever

buster55 and Mike-M like this.
  10. X65

X65

I said when everything is considered, not just ballistically. I mean everything from that to ease of use. Obviously 10mm will be better ballistically but not everyone can handle it well enough

11. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

According to the article at the front of this topic police hit rate in a shooting encounter is about 20 percent. With the fbi claiming the average distance of a law officer shooting being less than 21 feet that shows some pretty poor marksmanship. With the many thousands of dollars spent on training police and still getting terrible marksmanship I think the agencys need more than a new caliber. Having larger capacity to make up for poor ability to shoot in a situation seems to not be a great plan.

The hostage rescue team which is one of the most highly skilled law enforcement groups uses 45 acp and 1911 single action pistols. I dont have stats and not sure that they easily exist, but I bet that their ability to shoot well is far higher than the 9mm striker fired leo groups.

My mind always gravitates to higher power calibers with fewer rounds available. I have not been involved in a civilian shooting as I am not a leo, I hope I dont ever have a shooting to deal with. I feel very comfortable with fewer rounds of 45 acp or 10mm in a 1911. Your mileage may vary.

12. X65

X65

I’m an LE handgun instructor and I can attest to cops not shooting well. That’s a fact. The issue is time. Agencies do not have enough time to train. That’s the sad reality.

TacticalDesire likes this.
  13. X65

X65

And to my above point we have a lot of recoil anticipation issues that I feel are exaggerated by the .40.

AdamRodgers and TacticalDesire like this.
  14. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

A beefed up slide of the "Brazilian" G22 would be an improvement I believe ... *A .40 cal load is like running 9mm +P+ loads through your G17 , 19 , 26 with every pull of the trigger - no one thinks about only ever shooting 9mm +P+ loads through their Glock 9mm pistols and what that would do to the slide (and perhaps other internals) over time ...

15. bigsteve113

bigsteve113

No. New magazine springs was supposed to be fix the issue in the Gen 3 days, not ! The Gen 4 was supposed to fix the issue, not !

Some GLOCK .40's are never reliable with a WML, some are, some are for a while then develop the problem.

We tried different springs, different lights, different tensions on different lights, different ways to grip the gun …. Nothing worked. We issue Gen 4 G22/g23/G27's.

With the problem being so wide spread, and especially when guns that were previously reliable with WML's becoming unreliable after a while, we just decided to ban WML's on our issued .40 GLOCKs.

We did though (for the first time in 25 years) authorize personally purchased 9mm GLOCKs G17's for patrol and G17/G19's for detectives and G19/G26's for administrators.

I have used the .40 S&W for 25 years professionally. I love the round. I used them off and on duty, in the woods, for HD ..... . But after this issue I was pretty soured on .40 caliber GLOCKs. BTW, other brands don't have this problem with their .40's.

When we upgrade our GLOCKs next years we are gonna issue the 9mm GLOCKs. I like the .40 but the 9mm is now so close in performance, with none of the .40 problems, so I'm happy with going to it.

Of course I'm still a big .45 acp fan, as I always have been, so the G30 sees a lot of use too. (I can't get the Sheriff to authorize .45 …… yet)

We could have switched brands and stayed with the .40, but as I said before, 9mm is close enough to the .40 for my/our needs, and I really like GLOCKs.

TacticalDesire likes this.
  16. Bradd D

Bradd D

Interesting. This is the first I've heard of the issue in years.

bigsteve113 likes this.
  17. TacticalDesire

TacticalDesire

It's definitely still out there. With a crap load of agencies ditching the G22/G23, it is becoming less prevalent.

bigsteve113 likes this.
  18. michael_b

michael_b Elementary, my dear Watson.

I could see a beefed up slide for the 23 and 27, but it’s not necessary in a 22. I’m somewhat recoil sensitive due to some joint issues, and the 22 is no issue. The 23 beats up my hand some.

I have a feeling we will see the Gen 5 .40s next year, or 2021 at the latest. Despite 9mm being king, .40s still sell at big box stores, and the used market as we all know, is fantastic. There’s is a market for Gen 5 40s. Hell, I want a Gen 5 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/08/23/glock-wins-brazilian-contract/

19. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Another turned into a .40 hate thread.......
    I like .40 I carry .40, I have NO NEED to switch to anything else.
    I do wish the gen 5 23 would come because the 19-5 fits my hand much better. AND that is why I carry a G22. I'd carry a G23 gen 5 in a heartbeat.

EDIT. There is NO major problems with WML on gen 4's. It's WAY WAY WAY overblown. Even Gen3's it's a rare problem. Handfull of reported issues is not a consistent sample to support the statement.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    shadowlands likes this.
  20. jstrange

jstrange

So was it beefed up or not? No one seems to talking about the OP at all. Instead we get the same old tired 9 vs 40 debate.

azron and Bomber Nav like this.