New Book Examines The White Underclass

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Silas.soule, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Silas.soule

Silas.soule

2. bdcochran

bdcochran

Culture is a better answer. You don't have to spend $27 on his book. What changed before 1960, the author's crucial breaking point?

My family was middle class in 1960.

I walked to school, carried a lunch in a brown paper bag, had chores, and worked for an allowance in junior high.

I wore hand-me-down clothes, including shoes until I was in junior high.

We had a party line (look it up!) and no cell phones. Few people had tvs. We had the first one on the block. There were no computers. However, we were one of the few families that had a typewriter.

Those days are gone. Today, a person living in those conditions would be called "poor".

It is a lot of fun to call people stupid, but people are mostly rational.

1. government social support structures were being put into place so that people didn't have to change and speak English, to work in the family business to survive, to to get married to have a child and survive. It was common for three generations to live under the same roof.

2. government did not encourage houses to be sold on 3% down, to take out loans to go to college to major in psychology/sociology/anthropology/ethnic studies, to buy cars on credit over 7 years.

3. refugeepj

refugeepj

indeed sir, i agree.
    mom made her own clothes and our shirts.
    we also had the first TV in the neighborhood.
    school buses weren't invented, we walked. to school in the morning, home for lunch, and back for afternoon classes.
    one car, dad drove it to work, and he worked part time in the evenings.
    what was good then would never be accepted today.
    so much has changed, some for the better, some terribly worse.
    when i was young, accepting any type of welfare was embarrassing to say the least. certainly not accepted at any level.

i suspect this author has but one goal, make as much money as he can. won't be from me.

4. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Sounds like how I grew up. My first grade school was a one room country school was grades 1-8. My eight grade year I went back to the same school, but it had added on another room and still had grades 1-8. Best years of my life.

refugeepj likes this.
  5. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

The Left destroys everything it touches. Why would whites be unaffected?

G17Jake likes this.
  6. Silas.soule

Silas.soule

"Since the 1990's, the death rate for middle-aged white Americans has been rising. The increase is concentrated among men and whites without a college degree. The death rate for black Americans of the same age remains higher, but is trending slowly downward, like that of all other minority groups."

I figure those whites have farther to fall on the economic ladder, and blacks have no where to go but up.

The quoted words are from a different book, one that claims income inequality is what kills. (We do know that since Reagan, America's rich have gotten richer, and the working class very poorer.) https://www.amazon.com/Broken-Ladder-Inequality-Affects-Think/dp/0525429816

7. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Globalization kills......Democrats love it, Rinos love it. Patriots hate it.

View: https://youtu.be/W3LvZAZ-HV4

8. Silas.soule

Silas.soule

If globalization is bad, America must be bad. (I don't think either is bad, myself.) The US has usually tended to advocate free trade, etc. Funny how folks turn their backs on that when it isn't 100% beneficial to them, right? In a sense, were the Nazi's not the first against globalization, hating on those international banks and international groups such as the Freemasons?

With all due respect.

Trump has made China's job easier. The job of pulling other nations of Asia into its orbit. By his taking us out of the TPP economic treaty.

Anyway, check out the body count in West Virginia. There, working class whites are at times coming to resemble Native Americans addicted to alcohol, or African-Americans of the 1980's addicted to cocaine. They need economic hope, but reversing globalization is a pipe dream: http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news-h...s-drives-a-grim-business-in-wv-body-transport

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Wonder if buying fewer NFL tickets will have any impact on their finances.

10. Deltic

Deltic

The rich have got richer but the poor have too. The "poor" in American a great deal of material wealth that was unimaginable 60 years ago. When was the last time you saw kids wearing patches on the knees of their pants? People say hunger is a problem but if you look around there are way too many fat people. Air conditioners and large screen TV's are common in poor houses but when I was a kid AC was rare and most people did not have a color TV. The 13 inch black and white set was common and it was one per house. The car phone was something rich people had in movies. We have access to more data in seconds than anybody had in the past. The list is long. We don't suffer from lack of material wealth in this country but a lot of people have a deep seated cultural poverty and some politicians encourage it.

happie2shoot and Lethaltxn like this.