close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Boat/home/adventure

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by NashvilleGlock, Jan 9, 2012.

1. NashvilleGlock

NashvilleGlock EMT-Paramedic CLM

Well some of you might have read my update a little bit ago where I touched on some plans that Jess and I have been making to take the kids and go sailing for a couple years.

Well our plans jumped ahead with the purchase of our new boat "Windsong" a 79 Endeavor E32. She is almost turnkey and we have 28 months to get her ready for fulltime living/sailing in the Caribbean and who knows.

She is a solid one owner boat that was cared for meticulously by an old man until his death a couple years ago, we bought the boat from the son. But bought is only a technical word for the transaction though it was almost given to us. The son heard our plans and it just so happens it was always his fathers dream for this boat to see saltwater but he never made it. It also came with a 4 axel trailer designed to carry it. :wow:

There are some upgrades we will be doing over the next couple years to toughen her up like new ports, hatches etc. but she isn't far off. I am going to keep it simple and not clutter her up with electronics and gadgets. The less I put toy wise and the more I put into the things that really matter the safer and quicker I hit the blue water. We are hoping after a year down in FL working and cruising we will be ready for some larger passages.

Another chapter in the making, not wasting a minute of the second chance I've been given. I am looking forward to sharing my story of survival, my music, educating our kids, as well as helping in areas that need medical professionals.

Adventure awaits..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

Great looking boat. Are you going to do the Great Loop? I've read a lot about that trip and would love to do it myself.
    Good luck to you on your new boat.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

3. Mr. Niceguy

Mr. Niceguy Senior Member

Looks like you'll be living the high life, a la Prince Matchabelli. Best of luck!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  4. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

Years ago when we first started homeschooling I was on an email list with someone who did this. Sounds like a fabulous experience.

5. TomZ

TomZ Lifetime Member

Fantastic plan! Far too many only dream of such adventure, and are afraid to take the leap. Do you dive? If so, awesome opportunity to dive great places. If not, seriously consider it.

6. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    This sounds like quite the adventure.

I am very happy for you and your family. The memories alone will be priceless.:wavey:

7. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

You are living the dream!

8. DaneA

DaneA

You are where I wish I could be with that adventure. I just haven't been able to convince the wife to do it yet.

9. Capt Don

Capt Don

Good luck on your journey and may you always have fair winds and a following sea. :suntan:

10. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Mighty fine vessel, Captain! I am majorly jealous.

11. Crazy KD

Crazy KD

Good luck....we bareboated in the BVI's a couple of times in a boat about that size. Each time we did it we kept trying to come up with a plan where we could do it and make a living. Can't imagine taking our 2 kids though as it will be tight in a 32', but you'll have a close family.

Good luck....I used to live off White Bridge Rd in Nashville and boated on Piercy Priest, but we really loved boating on Center Hill. Of course that was in a MasterCraft not a sailboat.

12. nursetim

nursetim

Dude, you certainly are making the most of your second chance. Very outstanding.

13. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

Good luck to you, and my all your decisions be the right ones.

14. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Sounds like a great adventure. Good luck and smooth sailing to you.

15. racer11

racer11

My current dentist several years ago sold his home and everything and launched a 28ft sail boat in the ocean. His family wife and 2 daughters spent 2 years sailing the world and spending time in various ports across the world. They home schooled the girls during the entire time and sailed in groups for safety.

He told me it was the greatest family experience ever.

16. NashvilleGlock

NashvilleGlock EMT-Paramedic CLM

Thanks for all the encouraging posts!

So many questions I'll try to answer a few..

When we are ready to finally "go" and leave the Keys, Bahamas etc I'd like to take the easiest way and sail the Trade Wind route around. As far as ease of sail it is typically one of the safest/easiest routes and well traveled. After that I'd like to just go where we feel. I have an uncle that lives in Costa Rica, family that still lives in Hawaii and various family in San Diego, Florida coast, Washington etc, many of which I"ll be able to visit.

I'm a huge fan of the south pacific and could probably spend the rest of my life just sailing there :wavey:

TOM
    I used to dive before cancer, but one of my chemo drugs actually prevents me from doing it again. (Bleomycin) I can and will Snuba however and will be buying a Snuba rig as soon as I'm sitting in the ocean, both for exploring and for cleaning the underside. At least I'll have that feeling of diving and be able to explore.

I'm looking forward to some of the homeschooling that is designed around people doing this very thing, there are more of us crazy people than you could imagine. Most kids come out of this more well adjusted and with less social issues etc than their landlubber peers. Things like teamwork, self sufficiency/reliance, self entertaining and just realizing what a small speck you are in this world are great things for a kid. Many people talk about teenagers that came back completely different after realizing the world does not revolve around them and they are not invincible.

17. mhill

mhill

Good luck to you. It's a big ocean out there. Have fun and keep the pointy end up. :)

18. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Good luck and have fun. My wife and I just got back from a six month cruise to the Florida Keys and Bahamas on our 42 Catalina.

Here are some tips we learned.

1. Get the biggest dingy you can handle. You will use it more than you ever realized.
    2. Buy as much cheap canned food as you can before going to the Bahamas. There are only about three real grocery stores there (Marsh Harbor, Nassau, and Georgetown) and they are not cheap.
    3. Prepare to pay for water (everywhere except Georgetown at Exuma Markets) anywhere from .40 to .80 a gallon.
    4. Buy a diesel strainer funnel, and try and run all your diesel through it (or carry lots of filters and get good at changing them).
    5. Get a good anchor and chain as your primary rig. It is not uncommon to get 35 to 45 knot northers coming into the Bahamas in the winter and being over anchored is a nice feeling (along with a handheld GPS with anchor drag alarm to sleep with).
    6. Have a plan to get around in the Keys. Next time we are going to have a beater car we try and move around with us, at least while in the Keys. Cabs get expensive and walking five miles to a store, while very healthy, gets old some days. A collapsible grocery cart is good, too.
    7. In the the Keys, Marathon is a great place for boaters.
    8. A good chartplotter is invaluable. We had two. We didn't have radar, but will the next time, just for piece of mind when sailing at night.
    9. It is getting harder and harder to find good anchorages in south Florida. Guides to help you find them are invaluable. Marinas can wreck your budget (another reason for the big dinghy).
    10. Internet makes life easier. I can't count how many good anchorages I found by looking at Google Earth ahead of time.
    11. Get used to sailing with a foot or two of water between you and the sand, and going into places at high tide that you can't make at low tide (you'll get better anchorages that way often) if you can time it right.
    12. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions to other cruisers, but like here, don't believe everything you here. We got some really good advice, and some absolutely awful advice from people we met (there are actually some mentally ill people in boats :supergrin:).
    13. Since you're on Glocktalk, it's easy to carry a gun into the Bahamas on a sailboat. Just declare it. They pretty much assume all American boats have them and don't get the least bit excited about it, but don't target practice (they want ammo counts coming in and going out).
    14. The U.S. Coast Guard and DEA monitor Channel 16 and have bases in several places in the Bahamas. They will come to a call for help.
    15. Medical facilities in the Bahamas are almost non-existent. Plan on not being able to obtain any medicine, and very little medical help while there. Anything serious requires an airlift to the US (not cheap).

And, have fun. I wish every day I was back there.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  19. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

I recall a thread here a couple years ago where someone had cited/linked an article about a couple doing that with two children. The elder of the two had begun university studies and was doing quite well academically. The son had become a master navigator and sailor.

That article incited a couple of posters here to argue that selling their home and going to sea with two children was insane, that "no normal person does that".

It was amazing the indignation these GT members (long gone now I believe) displayed about this family's successful multi-year adventure voyaging around the world. They just could not believe that such things were in fact not unusual at all.

NashvilleGlock -
    Best of luck and bon voyage.
    Take care and stay safe.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  20. Cmacc

Cmacc

An opportunity many will only dream of. Smooth sailing to all and that was definitely the post above by series1811 was worth paying for.

I hope you can start and periodically update a thread (prudently) here when this adventure begins. Many keep a sailing website to chronicle their travels.

Splendid boat.