Glock 20 New Big Boomer

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WestTx40calguy, Sep 15, 2020.

1. WestTx40calguy

WestTx40calguy

Howdy from West Texas. I’m still new to Glocks and have a Glock 45, Glock 23 gen 4, and a Glock 22 gen 4 all acquired since Christmas. Yesterday I turned 49 and came home from work and there was a new addition to add to the family. My wife bought me a Glock 20 gen 4 10mm to add to the stable. Now I’ve got 4 glocks and only one m&p in the 9 compact 2.0. I’ve always been a M&p guy but dammit I shoot the glocks better. Anything special about the 20 I need to know?? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk mobile app

rayzer007 and El Pistolero like this.
  2. Sig Fever

Sig Fever 98.SiG and Rising!

Congratulations on the pistol, and the wife!

3. xdmikey

xdmikey

Kind of late but now you really need to start reloading.

4. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

have fun with it. youll get a 29 before long too! helluva calibera, helluva platform!!! the 20 is a *****cat even w/ the hot loads. remarkable firearm. perhaps the most versatile semi auto ever produced.

5. K31Scout

K31Scout

I put a Dawson fiber optic front sight on mine and blacked out the rear. I hand load for mine mild to hot and the spring works for everything. I did get a 6" KKM barrel because the tighter chamber works the brass less. It's the last pistol I'd part with.

6. joecarp

joecarp

Welcome aboard. I agree with you about how Glocks shooting better. Also I am a lover of Texas, lived in Brownsville but moved back to Arizona due to the dryer climate.

7. procharger1

procharger1

Congrats on the new pistol. Will be my next purchase when funds allow.

8. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

"Anything special about the 20 I need to know?? Thanks."

I like the G20 better than the compact G29 or the long slide G40. It's just the right size. The important thing to know about the 10mm is that most commercial ammo is not loaded to it's full potential. Maximum chamber pressure for the 10mm is 37,700 PSI Piezo pressure but most ammo is loaded to the same 35,000 psi pressure as teh 40 S&W and the 9mm.

Only Underwood, Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, and Sig V-crown ammo load the 10mm to the maximum allowable pressure so you either need to use this ammo or reload to get full performance out of your 10mm.

Underwood's 200 grain XTP load develops 1250 fps. Sig makes a 200 grain HST load that develops 1130 fps and I suspect that this is not maximum pressure ammo but given the performance of the HST bullet it is probably somewhat better than the 40 caliber HST load firing a lighter 180 grain bullet at a similar velocity just because it's a heavier bullet with greater sectional density for better penetration.

I'm dubious of the phillip's head solid copper ammo that trades projectile mass and sectional density for velocity and while th fluted projectiles create impressive "Wound Channels" in ballistics gel, I'm not sure if the magic is the same in flesh and bone.

K31Scout likes this.
  9. WestTx40calguy

WestTx40calguy

I appreciate it y’all... now to find ammo... a week ago several places had tons of it. When I went to buy some none to be had... guess I’ll shoot .40 in it...

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk mobile app