close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Beretta Nano & comparison photos w/G19 (large pics, beware!)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by rockapede, Apr 3, 2012.

1. rockapede

rockapede

For several years I've been shooting and carrying a Glock 22 and 27. The logic behind this is my former agency issued a Glock 22 but no backup weapon. I wanted a similar manual of arms and caliber, hence the 27. I bought my personal 22 to keep everything in the family, as it were. Fast forward to new agency, issued backup weapon. Since I really don't particularly care for .40 and never have, it was time for the 22 and 27 to go. I traded the 22 for a Gen4 19. Upon carrying it, I realized it was not much different than carrying my 27 with a finger extension, which is how I normally carry the 27. I sold the 27 and bought a Beretta Nano (and pocketed some $$$). Full disclaimer: I have not shot the Nano yet, everything I say about potential shooting characteristics is speculation.

Pictures comparing it size-wise to my 19:
    [​IMG]

Smaller, but not just monumentally smaller upon first glance, right? Upon further comparison, I think this is an optical illusion due to the relatively high bore axis of the Nano.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So the slides don't seem all THAT different in thickness. The kicker, as the pics that follow will show, is that the frame on the Nano is not any thicker than the slide, which is definitely not true of the G19.

[​IMG]

And there it is. HUGE difference. One more that I think really illustrates it the best:

[​IMG]

Yes folks, the Nano frame freestands INSIDE the Glock magwell.

To sum up, I'm quite pleased with the general size and build of the Nano. From what I've read, the high bore axis is not much of an issue and this gun shoots fairly soft for its size. We shall see. I've also heard complaints about the lack of an external slide stop. Since it's very rare that I use an external slide stop during actual manipulation of a pistol, I'm not concerned. Whatchu think?

Pics of bore axis comparison to follow.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. rockapede

rockapede

Bore axis differences....big differences. Will it matter? Dunno:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

You've done a fabulous job taking the pics, and selecting what to show!

That bore axis difference, compounded by the shorter grip, has got to cause some felt differences for the shooter. (I haven't shot a nano, so I'm just speculating).

:)

4. rockapede

rockapede

Thanks. It definitely makes me wonder. I didn't notice it as much in the LGS, but when I got it home and held it next to the 19 it was more than obvious. I'm going to the range this weekend, we shall see.

5. dave333

dave333

I have a nano, replaced my glock 26 with it for carry. I can realistically only pocket carry and the Nano works perfect for me, where the g26 was just too chunky. I carry it in a cheap uncle mikes pocket holster in a front pocket or cargo shorts pocket and it dissappears for me. It is unbelieveably accurate. I cant say its overly soft shooting but its not bad at all. The worst part of shooting it is the aggressive checkering, it really eats into my hand and after a couple hundred rounds you really know it the next day. I am putting a Talon grip on it tonight and I think that should solve that.

The lack of an external slide stop is not an issue for me. I thought it would be the first time I held a Nano but realistically its a non issue for me, I like the fact there are no levers of any kind that stick out.

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

I'm waiting for some ahole to tell you they are 'virtually identical'.:supergrin:

7. Bananas

Bananas

Great comparison, great pictures!! Can't wait for the follow up!! I might just have to get one of those now :cool:

8. shootingrn

shootingrn

Great pics! If I didn't have a PPS I would consider a Nano. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. jb1911

jb1911

I've owned both for about 6 months now. They are the same as far as felt recoil goes, the bore axis is not an issue. I shoot the Glock much more accurately because of the DA trigger on the Nano.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  10. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

All I'm seeing in the OPs post are "comparison" pictures of 2 G19s. :dunno:

:tongueout:

My LGS had a used Nano I got to check out and when I asked why they sold it they told me it was because of the recoil. I know from personal experience that the difference in recoil from an XD is slightly more then a Glock because of the bore axis. The Nano is thin but that bore axis is a tad on the high side.

Although I don't plan on replacing my Solo anytime soon until reports of the P938 come out, I'm defiantly looking forward to a range report. At it's price point, it seems like it would make a pretty good summer carry piece.

11. rockapede

rockapede

Good to hear. I know a lot of it is perception, as well. Any reliability issues so far?

The trigger passes the dry-fire/keep-front-sight-still test for me, so I'm hoping I won't have accuracy issues.

12. rockapede

rockapede

:supergrin:

Summer carry and dress-clothing carry is persactly my intended purpose for this gun. At $410 at my LGS, I can't complain.

13. jb1911

jb1911

I had 4 FTEs in the first couple of hundred rounds fired, but nothing since and I'm over 1000 rounds now.

14. High Altitude

High Altitude

I don't like pistols with high bore axis.

The nano could be designed so much shorter, but with the same grip length, if it had a much lower bore axis.

15. harleytech

harleytech

I'd take the 19....Just not a Beretta guy...Sorry..

16. rockapede

rockapede

Well, I'm not getting rid of the 19. If Glock would pull their heads out of their collective butts and build a small, single stack 9mm gun I'd be all over it. As it is, I thought this was a good option (though I could be eating my words come Saturday).

That was my first impression too. I'm betting it had something to do with stuffing a double recoil spring (which I neglected to photograph) into such a small gun, but who knows. In the end, it's essentially the same height that my 27 was, and the height of that gun was never the issue when concealing it. Thickness was, though, on occasion.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  17. shootingrn

shootingrn

I think the high bore axis worries are overblown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. hsprincipal

hsprincipal

If you you don't have a problem with the G27 recoil you will not have a problem with the Nano. I have about 150 rounds through mine without a hiccup. I am now carrying mine daily. This a a great little carry piece. I also like the concept of the sub chassis being removable. Cant wait til they bring out the .40 S&W.

19. rockapede

rockapede

Good to know. If the recoil is equal to or better than my G27, I'll be sold.

20. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

That is a huge difference. You already don't have much of a grip to hang onto. That high bore axis means the gun is going to flip a lot more in your hand.

I predict this gun is going to be bouncing empty shells off your head at a minimum. I would also be willing to bet that your recovery time between shots is nothing to write home about either.