close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New BCM range report.

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Jitterbug, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

I’m new to the AR platform, so my first range trip today was a great new shooting experience.

BCM 16” Mid length, Stainless Steel 1/8 twist upper coupled to a stock BCM lower, Midwest Industry 2 piece non floating rail, Magpul RBUIS and a Primary Arms Gen 2 Red dot.

Ammo used.

PMC Bronze 55 grain FMJ
    Federal XM193 F, 55 grain FMJ
    Fiocchi 62 grain FMJ

With the Magpul RBUIS, the first 10 rounds at 50 yards with the PMC ran 2.65”, this was with a 100 yard Scope Sight in target, which I really couldn’t see very well or determine a good aiming point, not the best choice. Windage was fine, elevation 2” high, no front site tool, so I switched to the RD.

I switched the target over to an 8” black bull. The RD takes up about 80% of this at 50 yards.

5 into 1.4”
    5 into 2.3”
    5 into 1.15”
    5 into 1.5”
    5 into 1.7”

Average 1.61”

Then the Federal XM193 F.

5 into 1.6”
    5 into 1.8

Average 1.7”

Fiocchi

5 into 2.0”
    10 into 1.95”

3 into .3” with the 5 shot group
    5 into .8” with the 10 shot group.

This little carbine has some great accuracy potential!

My right eye is bad, and by this time I was freezing my butt off and getting some eye fatigue trying to hold with the red dot, while struggling with the trigger.

The 62 grain Fiocchi is the more accurate ammo, despite the overall larger groups, which I contribute to the sight picture, fatigue setting in and trigger.

The carbine, has a little side to side play between the upper and lower, and the trigger…well the trigger needs some work for my taste, I did compare it to a newer S&W M&P and the Smith had a much cleaner take up and break. Regardless, being a stock lower, my plan is to have Bill Springfield sweeten it so I’m not overly concerned at the moment, no malfunctions of any kind, it ran perfect.

What impressed me most was the overall fun of shooting an AR, even though I’m a long time shooter of a Remington 700 in 22-250, I was really shocked by the lack of recoil, as well as the light weight and handiness of this little carbine and with the red dot it is really fast to get on target. It’s going to be fun little gun to shoot. Fast moving, close range Coyotes watch out.

I think with a good quality, high power scope the BCM would easily run 1 MOA with the 62 grain Fiocchi, and a good trigger would improve upon that, so I’m very impressed and pretty excited about the 5 rounds into .8”, and wondering what this little gun will do with some good hand loads and the right bullet. I do know and appreciate the difference between mechanical and practical accuracy, and I have much to learn and work to do on carbine technique…I can hardly wait! I think this is going to be lot’s of fun.

Overall I’m very satisfied with this BCM for my first AR.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  2. djegators

djegators

Congrats on the BCM...on my wish list! Have you posted pics???

3. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

4. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

DG Thanks!

The 5 shots into .8" is the horizontal string, this was my first time out with an AR and a Red Dot, the Red Dot is not designed for precision accuracy like a standard scope crosshair, so I was impressed with the results. So far I'm really pleased with the BCM and if you do your homework you'll find it's highly rated.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  5. djegators

djegators

Trust me, done my homework :)

Just got my Noveske Recce, and will be building my free lower....THEN will do the BCM ;)

Sweet rifle friend, enjoy!

6. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Whoa, sounds like you have!

I almost went the Noveske route, but, I don't have the confidence to built my own lower yet. First things first was to get a good shooter together.

Any range reports on the Recce? Or do you have to put the lower together?

7. djegators

djegators

My Recce was purchased as a complete rifle, and unfortunately have not fired it yet. But the "feel", the fit and finish are amazing. I sold a Colt, and an older Bushmaster (made when they had a better rep), and I thought they were nice, but the Noveske is amazing. The free lower is my summer project for my 2nd Noveske (will buy the upper complete).

8. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

Congrats! Thanks for the report!

9. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Thanks RM.

dg, I'll be watching for a range report when you get a chance to get out with the Noveske.

10. furioso2112

furioso2112

Nice - glad to see you got it all together. Nice groups, too, especially considering first time out.

11. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I'll be taking my newly rehabilitated BCM middy out to the ranch this weekend, get it all sighted in and such. Hope it's as good as my last one was, and yours is. Hopeful, but a little apprehensive.

12. Jon_R

Jon_R

I am planning on a 11" barrel BCM when my tax stamp comes in. I doubt I will get the same accuracy as you but I hope it will be fun to shoot.

13. NeverMore1701

I'm torn. My next planned build is an SBR, and I'm not sure if I want to go BCM or Noveske with it. I've been perfectly pleased with my 2 BCM uppers, but after the 11.5" upper is set up the way I like it, a Noveske 10.5" Low-Pro with the same doo-dads is within $50 of it, so....

I hate BRD :crying:

14. Jon_R

Jon_R

I already bought a BCM bolt and charging handle so I am committed. I bought it for a spare but my safe is setup for rifles not bolts. I might as well put a rifle around the bolt and I have some spare lowers so....... It is just easier to store my spare parts as complete weapons.

15. NeverMore1701

Sounds like a good plan to me!

16. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Thanks guys!

I'm trying to figure out how to mount a real scope on it for load development and 100 yard range work, the Red Dot being sweet for what it is, amazingly fast, but it just doesn't cut it for obtaining precision results on the range.

I was looking at LaRue's last night, either the LT-104 or LT-135, I have a Magpul RBUIS and saw a note recommending the LT-135, although this seems to sit higher, and both are costly in the $200 range, but if that is what it takes to consistently return to zero then so be it.

I have two higher power Leupold's, but was considering selling them to finance new glass for the AR, eventually I'd like to have a quality RD, I've been considering either Aimpoint H1 or Eotech XPS 2-2 and then a good 1x4 or 1.5 x6 which I can QD and return to zero for the BCM. The dilemma being that I find 9x to be bare minimum for 100 yard range work. Of course I could fix all these dilemmas if only if I had enough cash. One of the Leupold's is a 3x9 and I could probably squeak by with it and focus funds on good mounts.

The wife really likes the way the BCM handles around the living room, so I told her that it doesn't recoil and she's going to really love shooting it and that it was for her and that I need another in 6.8 which is a bigger gun for me...so more glass and guns.

Nevermore, did the Middy break? Or are you modifying it?

It is just easier to store my spare parts as complete weapons
    I'll have try laying that one on the wife.

17. Run&Shoot

Run&Shoot

You might consider the Wilson Combat Lo-Mount. It is a one-piece mount and rings, well made. 1" rings. $85

I have one mounted to my BCM middie with a Weaver 1-3x24mm scope. It has plenty of clearance over my PMag BUIS.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=980827
    [​IMG]

ETA: While it does not have QD levers, it has large knurled screws that are also slotted for a US Quarter so it is easy to take on and off at the range if you don't have a gunsmith screwdriver with you.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  18. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Thanks Run&shoot

That looks like a nice mount, especially for the money!