Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for an AR that I can compete in 3 GUN with. I am an ex 11B vet that has probably shot 100,000 rounds minimum through the platform and consider it my most proficient weapon, but have never owned one. I plan on shooting 1,000-5,000 rounds a month, and reloading. What would be the weapon of choice in the $1000-$2000 range that I can compete with. I am looking for pros and cons of the different manufactures out there or any route someone would take to build one. Thanks for all the input.

·
Banned
42,102 Posts
Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, LMT, Colt, Noveske.

Find one with the features you like, they're all top notch.

·
Jacks #1 Fan
6,210 Posts
I am in the market for an AR that I can compete in 3 GUN with.
Just out of curiousity are you looking to get a base model rifle and tweak it or looking for a truly competative rifle for 3 gun right out of the box?

I see offerings by advertisers in USPSA and other competative shooting magazines for out of the box competition rifles and wonder of thier claims.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
For 3Gun Noveske would be my pick. But can't go wrong with DD, BCM, etc.

Just an FYI - if you average 3k rounds a month expect to buy alot of new parts in 1-2 years. You could have issues with barrel, BCG, upper, and countless small parts. I would suspect the barrel would show signs of inaccuracy @ 1 year and probably need to be replaced around 1.5-2 years at that rate. Depends on what barrel you get though.

I think you are being overly optimistic in the amount you will shoot and reload. 36,000 rounds is about $7k in reloads.

Sounds like you have alot of experience with the platform so you probably know all this.

·
NRA ENDOWMENT
6,545 Posts
I am in the market for an AR that I can compete in 3 GUN with. I am an ex 11B vet that has probably shot 100,000 rounds minimum through the platform and consider it my most proficient weapon, but have never owned one. I plan on shooting 1,000-5,000 rounds a month, and reloading. What would be the weapon of choice in the $1000-$2000 range that I can compete with. I am looking for pros and cons of the different manufactures out there or any route someone would take to build one. Thanks for all the input.
At 5k rounds a month you will be wearing barrels out fast. I would go with a Noveske with a Chrome lined barrel for that much use. For three gun stainless is the way to go. I use the Noveske Rogue Hunter myself for that. But you will burn your barrel out in 2 months if you really shoot 5 k a month with Stainless.

What you should do is get a good 22 upper or complete gun for the vast majority of your practice to save on wear and tear on your gun and money.

Pat

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just out of curiousity are you looking to get a base model rifle and tweak it or looking for a truly competative rifle for 3 gun right out of the box?

would want something that I could tweak as my skill level grew. I can't stand people that buy something and pimp it out before they are truly proficient with their weapon. But thats their right to do so.

·
Banned
3,163 Posts
would want something that I could tweak as my skill level grew. I can't stand people that buy something and pimp it out before they are truly proficient with their weapon. But thats their right to do so.

Damn!! Well then I'm not gonna invite you to go shooting anytime soon!!:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At 5k rounds a month you will be wearing barrels out fast. I would go with a Noveske with a Chrome lined barrel for that much use. For three gun stainless is the way to go. I use the Noveske Rogue Hunter myself for that. But you will burn your barrel out in 2 months if you really shoot 5 k a month with Stainless.

What you should do is get a good 22 upper or complete gun for the vast majority of your practice to save on wear and tear on your gun and money.

Pat

those are both very nice set ups. I like the .22 set up too. I am going to start with the .22 lr

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
For your purpose you are going to want stainless for the accuracy but your going to go through barrels like crazy at your round rate. You may want to think about getting two uppers, one with a chrome lined, CFH, or BFH barrel for practice and another with stainless for the matches.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You sound a bit over ambitious on your projected round count numbers but I don't fault your enthusiasm. I will echo the secondary training upper in a good hammer forged chrome lined barrel but if you have the resources i would stick with the same caliber as the competition upper. For the competition upper I would probably opt for a stainless steel barrel and shoot maybe a couple hundred rounds a month through it. Optic set ups are going to factor heavily.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Look at LWRC. They are piston platforms and I believe they use nitro-carburized barrels that are supposed to last upwards of 30,000 rounds. At least that's what they claim for their REPR model.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You sound a bit over ambitious on your projected round count numbers but I don't fault your enthusiasm.

I purchased my NIB Glock 17 on December 21 2010, it has over 5,000 rounds through it. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Greg you must have a lot of time on your hands because shooting 5K, round a month through a rifle, 5K rounds a month out of your Glock 17 and fitting in shotgun training is quite a chore every month. Quality training with 3 weapons for competition and I think your numbers are a bit ambitious, but if you have the time and resources excellent. I hope you do well.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all that contributed info. Great info to get started on, especially the .22lr

1 - 20 of 26 Posts