New and unfired.........would you shoot this one?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by hogship, Oct 23, 2010.

1. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

I was browsing Gunbroker, and ran across this new and unfired Korean War Commemorative Thompson sub-machine gun......

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=196874698

[​IMG]

Now, it seems crazy to have something like this and not shoot it......but, I remember the thread about this earlier. I understand the reasoning behind having "new and unfired" for a collection, but I'm not one that would.....or, could resist the temptation to see what it's like to shoot, and how well.

I'm not sure just what directions a thread like this might take, but any and all comments are welcome......just looking for interesting discussion, that's all.

hog

2. Zagato

Zagato

I would not shoot it. Its an investment in the shape of a gun. And a questionable one at that.

3. hybridsquirrel

hybridsquirrel

nope. id keep it locked up for another 50 years, sell it before i pass and give the money for my grandkids.

4. CajunBass

CajunBass

I wouldn't but then I wouldn't buy it in the first place. I don't find those "commerative" guns appealing.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  5. hogship

Actually, neither do I......was only trying to comment on the "new and unfired" aspect. Would you fire it, if it were just a regular old run-of-the-mill Thompson?

Would you fire something like bac's Korth......or, something like that?

(Try to ignore that it's a commemorative, and focus on the topic.)

hog

6. CajunBass

CajunBass

No, I wouldn't. Or let's say I could see buying it and not shooting it.

I don't have any guns that have never been fired, but I do have a few that I've only fired a few rounds through. In some cases a couple of cylinders or magazine and then they've been put up. While they're not "new/unfired" I don't shoot them, so in some ways it's the same thing. I've got a gun that I don't shoot. I've also got a couple that I have never fired at all, but they have been fired by someone else. It's not a big jump to buying something that had never been fired, and not shooting it.

7. bac1023

bac1023

Hog, I wouldn't even buy that, as I don't like commemorative or "special editions" of any kind.

They just aren't my thing.

8. hogship

OK, that's fair. :supergrin:.....and, you are not alone. I'm one that just doesn't have much interest in owning a gun I won't shoot. This is not to say my opinion has any more validity than anyone else's. I understand the desire to own "new and unfired"......this just doesn't fit my philosophy on the reason I'd own any gun.

Thanks......

hog

9. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

Those type of guns have no appeal. If I had it, I would not fire it, I would sell it and buy something I would shoot.

10. hogship

As I said, I wouldn't be interested in owning a commemorative either.....the gold and embellishment is very unappealing to me. It was the "new and unfired" aspect I was trying to get at.......

Let's just say we were talking about this one instead.......if it were new and unfired.

[​IMG]

11. CajunBass

CajunBass

A lot might depend on "Have I ever fired one before." For example, I've shot a fair number of 38 revolvers. So it would be easy to buy a NIB 38 revolver and put it up and not shoot it.

Something like that Thompson would be harder, simply because I've never fired one before. So there would be more of an itch to shoot it, I'll admit.

12. wellcraft

wellcraft

no i wouldn't buy it because of all the extra bling and there's probably a premium price because it's a commemorative gun, yes i would fire it if someone gave it to me. in reality as long as a gun has been well taken care of shooting it really doesn't diminish the value unless you're talking 50,000 rds. i've got 1000's of rounds down the pipe of my AR15 and except for a few light handling you'd think the rifle was brand new. if i hit the lottery for 20 million then i could afford a shooter grade thompson and then buy the commemorative as a collectors item ad possibly not shoot it.

13. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

No, I'd have to shoot that one, Hog.:cool:

14. J_Rico

J_Rico

You betcha'.

To me, "new and unfired" means "going to waste".

15. BAILIFF

BAILIFF Piece Officer

Bangbangbangbangbangbangbangetc.etc.etc. :supergrin:

16. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

I don't like having expensive things that I can't use. I rather have a half ratty one that I could shoot until it overheated and then throw in a duffel bag in the back of the truck. Might be ugly, but way more fun.

17. CTM_357

CTM_357 first gen. g17

I would have to try it out!

18. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

All the bling bling doesnt appeal to me either,however, Id still shoot it and still have a mile wide grin after doing so.How else would you know it worked right?

Shooting a 50 round drum through a automatic thompson ...brings a smile.But,admittedly,I would not shoot it in good company because it has too much bling bling.I would never hear the end of it.:rofl:

Of course, I could never afford such a piece to begin with but if I was given the chance,Id shoot it until the gold plating fell off.

19. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

Shoot it? Hell, I wouldn't even buy it. I'm not into commemoratives. Maybe toned down or with just special serial number and/or discreet identification as a commemorative on the metal. I want it to look like the historical gun. Commemoratives often look pimped out to me.

20. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan

Any commemorative gun really loses a lot of value if you shoot it, anyone who does collect commemoratives will only be interested in unfired, NIB ones. You're better off to buy a regular one if you want a shooter.