New ammo paradigm?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Deputydave, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

I've been to that SW. They have a few decent people but they have a lot of know-it-alls working behind the counter and on the range. I don't give them my business. Particularly when they charge scalper prices. I prefer to deal with the smaller shops. They have better prices all the way around oddly enough. You might want to take a look a Gas and Brass Armory on Florida Ave. Just a hole-in-the-wall shop but I've gotten some amazing prices in the past. He's tacked on a couple of bucks to ammo prices to keep pace but not like these other places.

2. Kentguy

Kentguy

Most of the time I do business at the Fin, Feather and Fur in N. Canton, Oh. it's not too far from my house, they have a good selection of guns, ammo and reloading components. Like most stores (large & small) they are very lean on inventory. Their prices have risen a bit but for the most part they just limit the quantity that one person can purchase.

I believe much like the last panic run on guns and ammo - after the election (when Trump gets re-elected) things will settle down and prices will drop back to pre-panic levels.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Deputydave likes this.

3. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

I think the 9mm will still be king after the panic, provided Trump is re-elected and the panic subsides. But he may not be, and the current conditions may be here to stay.

If the Democrats take over, I think ammo makers will produce whatever is most cost effective for them as long as the political environment allows it. Probably, that will still be 9mm. Perhaps .40, .380 & .22lr. I would expect other calibers to become virtually extinct as new ammo.

I stocked up on .25 and .32 auto after 9mm & .380 prices and availability started getting iffy. Now even those two lowly rounds are scarce as hens’ teeth. Wish I’d bought more 9mm Mak then I did, as I doubt we will see it around again anytime soon.

And thinking now I should have bought one of those ghastly 1895 Nagant revolvers, since for those I can still find ammo.

Attached Files:

Conroe_Keith and Kentguy like this.
  4. PeterG

PeterG

If Dems win and succeed in a punitive tax on ammo along with shutting down online sales the ammo companies that survive will scale back significantly.

I would expect shotshells and .22lr and maybe one or two handgun calibers to be available.

Oh and don’t forget the liability issues Old Joe proposes, one could expect that to fall on ammo makers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Kentguy

Kentguy

BigBlueFish: "Probably, that will still be 9mm. Perhaps .40, .380 & .22lr. I would expect other calibers to become virtually extinct as new ammo."
    I would add 38 special and 45 acp to your list. Only because gun manufacturers have pretty much saturated the market with those caliber guns.

Although highly unlikely that Biden will win - in a "worse case senior", I do agree with your thought that because of the unreasonable restrictions that will be imposed. Ammunition Manufacturers will just stick with their "best sellers" as their focus. Other less used or popular calibers will take a back seat.

fredj338 likes this.
  6. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow Custom Title Goes Here

The fact that you think these are appropriate responses tell every other one of us all we need to know about you.

Good day, sir.

Syclone0538 and Deputydave like this.
  7. SargeMO

SargeMO

were unaffected by fads and stuck with something proven, in their own experience, to work well across a wide spectrum of uses.

When everybody runs to one side of the ship, a lot of people just might get soaked.

8. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

*I believe this is the correct model - manufacturers will produce the most popular caliber ammo to address supply & demand .

9. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

yeah, I was gonna call him out but I think a block right off the rip will suffice. he'll be banned soon enough anwyay. idk why some people are so annoying.

Deputydave and ThatGuyYouKnow like this.
  10. Blanton

Blanton

There is ammo out there. There is very little or no CHEAP ammo. Don't see much at the LGS but I see ammo online and at guns shows regularly, it's only a matter of willingness to pay the current market price.

One just has to look and be quick to react. Buy it when you see it