GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
My paradigm is simple. Before the craziness set in, I stocked deep on Winchester Ranger Bonded JHP 180 .40. It was being blown out at discount prices.

Have plenty 9mm Premium ammo.

Reload for both caliber so practice ammo is not a concern.

However it would be easier to find .40 ammo today than 9mm. YMMV

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
I work a trade job that can be very repetitive. So the last thing I want to do is start reloading. Hopefully the prices for 9mm will come down by next year some time.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
If you were not paying attention to lay in a hefty supply of 9mm before 2020...that's your fault.

This topic is idiotic.
Just a discussion like any other.
Shortages suck, reminds me of stories from the com bloc countries back in the eighties.

1. Not everyone can afford to buy a couple years worth of ammo. I know people that shoot 20k+ a
year.

2. Not everyone wants to store a huge amount of ammo.

3. It’s bad for the shooting community as a whole. A lot of people, many new gun owners want to
shoot, plink, train and compete.

·
Registered
666 Posts
How weird would it be to have just one tool head and one set of reloading dies?

I don’t think the number of 40 S&W owners will substantially increase, well not compared to the swelling ranks of new 9 mm gun owners anyways.
But just because we’re in the minority doesn’t make 9 mm fanboy fantasies true. either. 40S&W isn’t going anywhere for a very very long time. There are just way too many 40 S&W pistols out there. If a place sells 45 acp or 38 special I guarantee you they will also sell 40S&W ammo too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You have shot 10,000 a year and do not reload. That's not 20,000 rounds.

I shoot about 1500 rounds a month, I'm not a reloader

I'm at a point in my life when I have enough income to do that.

My guess is that 90% John Q. Public are not at that point.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If you were not paying attention to lay in a hefty supply of 9mm before 2020...that's your fault.

This topic is idiotic.
I think you need to reread the OP again (unless you didn't read it at all) because you clearly didn't understand the point.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Chill out Skippy, I read the "original OP"

I maintain a minimum level of 10,000 rounds of every caliber I shoot.

Granted, not everyone is able to do that, but...there you go.

And I maintain a 2,000 round minimum quantity of SD rounds, which I do not use for training.

So, sir, "Deputy Dave" you do not impress me, at all. Run along.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Chill out Skippy, I read the "original OP"
Oh, newbie is sarcastic. Apparently then you didn't understand the OP. That's on you.

I maintain a minimum level of 10,000 rounds of every caliber I shoot.
Good for you. So what?

So, sir, "Deputy Dave" you do not impress me, at all. Run along.
Yeah, here's the thing about that, I've been here since the beginning and I'll be here long after your banned. And I'm not worried about impressing someone that didn't understand the premise of the thread their posting in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
LOL...a typical "I've been here longer than you have" response. I know you need the affirmation of people who think you are something...I'm not one of them. Congratulations, you are the first person here whom I've put on ignore. I'm sure you won't be the last.

Carry on.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Sorry you lack reading comprehension skills. Sorry your so easily triggered. I think that says quite a bit. But at any rate, have a nice day.

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I do agree that the paradigm has been altered forever and that 9mm availability will be spotty for months, if not years. And overpriced relative to the other primary service calibers. Due to the election alone I began a stock-up program in 2018 focusing on 9mm, .40, and 357 SIG. That continued through July as I felt the convergence of events warranted it and I shoot those calibers regularly.

The past couple of months....due to availability, price, and priorities.... I'm buying only .40. This past week I've added 1000 rds of 180 FMJ for the purpose of running the G23 for target drills. Planning to buy .40 until I just can't stomach the price increases because inevitably the .40 fans will consume inventory. I'll continue to EDC a G19 but not opposed to the G23 or G32. .40 is allocated for the range until I feel comfortable that 9mm has pivoted back into mainstream availability and I can run 100's of rds a month. Shooting .40 consistently will only improve my abilities.

As for where 9mm prices land, we've seen the last of 50 rd boxes of FMJ going for $12-15. Even when inventory returns to 2019 levels the panic buying will likely continue to some degree. I just hope that the 5 million new gun owners in 2020 have a basic sense of economics and are not discouraged from continuing their interest in personal protection, hunting, etc. We need them for the long haul.
I’m glad for the shortage it made me buy more 357 sig instead of taking it for granted

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk
I've been stocking up on all the calibers I shoot for quite some time taking advantage of sales and when WM was clearing their shelves. I didn't have 357sig as a caliber until about six months ago give or take. So I've stocked up on that as well and yes, it was much more available compared to 9mm when the panic really started kicking in. Haven't had the need to buy anything in the last couple of months as I'm pretty set all the way around. But I did find 357sig and 45acp in one of my local shops. Picked up some 45acp since I was there and it was on the shelf.

In regards to the OP though, it will be interesting to see post-panic if calibers like 357sig, 10mm as well as the more obscure calibers like 45 GAP make any sort of resurgence. A lot will depend on the ammo companies of course.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Be a shame to ignore Dave. He has a lot of good advice.
I appreciate it. It's okay though, he doesn't strike me as someone that really wants to be here to play well with others based on the way I've seen him post so far in the whopping day he's been on the board. And for some reason...seems like he's familiar for some reason?

At any rate, no loss. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I reload so right now I'm good. The range I go to, always had good prices, are charging $249 for a box of 300 9mm.

Reactions: Deputydave

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I reload so right now I'm good. The range I go to, always had good prices, are charging $249 for a box of 300 9mm.
If you haven't already, check out the B/S/T sites like Armslist in your area. Some folks are asking a $1 a round for 9mm FMJ. The various premium JHP are at or near $2 a round. So glad I stocked up early and deep!

I'm predicting (and hoping) things will return to normal by the 2nd quarter of next year. But still curious to see if some of the other calibers are going to surge (re-surge) in popularity or new found popularity. Not predicting it, but wouldn't it be interesting to see a whole new breath of life into calibers like 45 GAP. I know a few folks that would be very happy about that. :)

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,765 Posts
I'm happy with the round-count for 10mm I have - but I was in Murdock's the other day when a new shipment of ammo hit the shelves - and the 200gr/10mm that's made in Stevensville, MT and that sold for $13.77/50rds last fall are now at $42.77/50rds.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts