New Addiction

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Allegra, May 22, 2007.

1. Allegra

Allegra

Guys,
    Was talking to a friend working w/ the office of student affairs sa UP
    They have a lot of dapat bright students ( from top high schools )flunking most their subjects
    After interviews w/ the studes , the common reason seems to be addiction sa online gaming
    Watch your kids folks

2. 3kings

3kings SalingPusa

thats alarming.
    have to control my kids online activities

3. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Yes, online gaming is a genuine cause for concern. My eldest, who is 11, is limited to 1 hour of monitored (by me) online activity only on weekends. The rest of the week our DSL connection is disabled so he won't be able to "cheat" while we're away. Also, he is limited to relatively harmless arcade-type games, no MMORPGs and such.

4. bass one

bass one Guest

Is this limited to just online gaming or does it include local gaming consoles as well (xbox, ps, psp, gameboy, atari, etc.)? In my observation, some analytic skills are enhanced by playing computer games. My 5 yr old son for example first learned to read and understand the meanings of; enter, exit, quit, on, off, press, spacebar - when he was 2, through pc games. Now his reading comprehension is "at the very least" above average and he can easily follow the lyrics in a videoke. He is also an avid xbox player but I wouldn't say addict 'coz when he finishes a game he'd rarely play it again but would rather watch cartoons or play in the playground (yes, he has finished - by himself mostly - halos 1 & 2, gears of war, perfect dark zero, ghost recon 2 and just recently call of duty 3). And he doesn't just go and load and play it. He reads the liner notes/manual of the games he is playing to have a better understanding of what he is up against and what he is supposed to do. I monitor his play and tells him if words uttered by the characters are bad words or not. Once I've told him it's a bad word, he wouldn't dare say it and would even report to me (spell it to me actually) whenever a playmate or schoolmate says it. We do limit his playtime and it's usally a max of 3 hrs and only after he has done his studies.

I believe it would be ok as long as we parents monitor their game and react immediately and accordingly to their behavior.

To note, even his teachers in school affirmed to us that he is on top of his class when it comes to reading with comprehension, and spelling...only complaint is, he's very talkative! :supergrin:

Teroy

5. Allegra

Allegra

I think the problem was this was college level kids...di na nga pala bata yun
    Pero I dont think parents monitor older kids
    Remember these were bright high school kids from UPIS , UP Rural , Phil Science etc

6. maskytrading

maskytrading Guest

Bill flunked a lot of subjects due to his obsession/addiction to PCs.:upeyes:

7. bass one

bass one Guest

Siguro nga. I think an added factor here is peer pressure, yun bang, "wag na tayong pumasok pre, laro na lang tayo, papasa naman tayo miski sabit." Lalo na kung pinopormahan ang nagbabantay sa shop. :supergrin:

8. 3kings

3kings SalingPusa

and became the richest man alive

9. Allegra

Allegra

Bill flunked harvard because he was playing ragnarok hanggang umaga?
    Bago yun a
    I said online gaming , not PC's