close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New 9mm OEM Extractor from Midaway - 1st Range Report

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by HKLovingIT, Jul 26, 2012.

1. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

[Yeah, I know I spelled Midway wrong in the thread title wise guy]

Reference thread here for big pics of the extractors:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1434216

Others have reported that a new 9mm OEM extractor had hit the parts channel and was available from Midway. I purchased one. Pics of all that are in the above link.

I was able to get out this afternoon and take it shooting.

I took the following ammo:

200 rounds American Eagle 124gr
    100 rounds Blazer Brass 115gr
    100 rounds Federal Champion (everyone's fav) 115gr

I used 3 x 17 round magazines (note for .gov: these are the only ones I own and I plan to destroy them as soon as testing is complete) so I was shooting a box at a time as I stepped to the line. Side note: it was hot as all get out today. :steamed:

On my previous trips with the extractor that Glock replaced when it went back for warranty service, I was still getting brass to the face and American Eagle actually performed the worst. Fed Champion performed the best. Still it was a big improvement over what it was doing with the extractor it came with from the factory. That one was horrible with up to a 30% per mag rate of BTF and not to mention dribblers, left hand ejection, over the head 6 o'clock ejection, and a few 12 o'clock ejection.

In my other reports on this pistol I did not keep detailed track of brass that dribbled down the arm or ejected to the left or other crap, I just noted when it was present.

So how do it do this time?

In order as fired:

150 rounds American Eagle 124 gr: 1 BTF
    100 rounds Blazer Brass 115 gr: 2 BTF
    50 rounds American Eagle 124 gr: 0 BTF
    100 rounds Fed Champion 115 gr: 0 BTF

I attribute 1 of the Blazer BTF as my fault. I was fooling with my grip when I broke the shot. The first 200 rounds I fired with Kung Fu Power Stance, vise like grip, skeletal structure behind the pistol, etc.

In the last batch of 200 rounds I alternated between thumbs forward and thumb over thumb grip and while I kept my wrists locked behind it, the amount of finger crush applied to the grip I slacked and tightened just to see what would happen during the course of a couple mags.

I did this because I had read a report on another board where a guy said that when he loosened his grip it was fine, if he gave it the crush grip, it would BTF him. I noticed no difference. :dunno:

I fired the first 200 at a moderate pace. The last 200 I fired like that and also did some mag dumps as fast as I could get back on target. Caused no issues.

According to my previous results with the Glock replaced extractor from late March/Early April, I should have had roughly the following results going by my previous tracking:

AE 124 gr: 24 BTF
    BB 115 gr: 8 BTF
    FC 115 gr: 6 BTF

As you can see from today's results I have had a dramatic improvement.

More importantly I did not have a single instance of left hand ejection, nor did I have ANY brass dribbling down my right arm or ejection back at 6 o'clock and over my head. None.

All brass ejected in a positive manner and was generally between 2:30-4:00 o'clock. Except for the noted couple BTFs above, there were no problems and no malfunctions. The lack of dribblers is a big change. This pistol has always dribbled brass out and down your right arm with the three previous extractors that were tried in it.

I will take it out again this weekend for another 500 rounds when I'm not so pressed for time and see how it does. I hope it stays just like this or better as it gets worn in a bit. Hopefully it will be another very positive report. I'll keep you posted.

As it stands at the moment, if this is indeed a slightly different part from what was available before, I'm inclined to say that this has done a bang up job of solving the issues with this pistol. If it's not slightly different, maybe I just received one with a little more of the ole QC behind it. Dunno. Go check the extractor photo thread link to look at them in detail.

Couple pics so you know it happened.

First - this is my pile of brass. I took the picture from where I was standing, turned to the right and the brass is between 3-5 feet from me in the pile. I have never had the requirement that it lands in a paper cup, just that it does not hit me in the face with regularity.

[​IMG]

This is just my junk.

[​IMG]

If you have a BTF Glock and try this I hope you have a similar good result.

HK

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  2. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Looks like you've seen an improvement but not a fix. The extraction woes continue. I would be dissatisfied with 3 BTF in 500 rounds. But that's just me...

3. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

I agree it should have 0 as my ideal, like my other 9mm Glocks, but I'm encouraged by the improvement, plus the lack of dribblers down the right arm was a big improvement. Dunno. If it gets worse or something I'll send it back to Glock again or see if they will exchange it for me for a 2008 or 2007 refurb. I'm going to have to shoot it some more and see what it does.

Trackstar55 had a good result with his replacement:
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1433901

4. scosgt

scosgt

ALL auto pistols throw one at you once in a while. Three in 500 is excellent. You are being too anal. It is a machine, and there are variances in the load and in the brass. Every auto I have ever shot (dozens if not hundreds) will throw one at you once in a while. That's why we wear glasses and baseball caps at the range.
    Getting one tossed at you once in a while at the range is good. It keeps you focused on the street if it happens in the middle of a gunfight.

5. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

I'm pretty happy with this new result, but yeah, I admit I'm being a bit anal about it, but only because I have two other G17s to compare it with side by side. Like I said though, this makes me pretty happy and I'm real happy not to have any just dribbling out of the slide anymore. :wavey:

I'd put this on my night stand right now without concern. I'll just keep shooting and hope it stays as good or better. When I first got this one, it was definitely FUBAR. Now it's not.

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I have to say my M&Ps and HKs and Sig have NEVER put a case into my face. Maybe it's happened and I just don't remember but I assure you if it has happened it's less than 1 in 1000. Cases just don't eject weakly and erratically from those guns.

7. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Neither have my HKs or SIGS, or my other Glocks. Part of why I'm being anal I suppose or I'm just anal. :supergrin: Plus I've spent a lot of time and money in ammo fiddling with it.

8. hearsedriver

hearsedriver

While I have not experienced any BTF with any of my current Glocks, I did find that the new extractor from Midway ejected much stronger in my 34 than the one it came with. I have had some weak, dribbling ejection in the past with both my 34 and 26. I am replacing the ejectors in all of my 9mm's with the new version.

9. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

I've never been hit with brass EVER with any gun I've owned or shot, unless you count empties bouncing off the range divider back at you. Expecting a product to work as intended is not being anal. Do you expect your car to go forward when you hit the gas and stop when you hit the brakes? Empty casings are supposed to eject to the right, away from the body, never coming in contact with the body. Some Glock owners have forgotten that.

10. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Thanks for the detailed report!

11. frostyicy

frostyicy

Great report man!!!

My day at the range......

Glock 19 Gen 3 dipped extractor.

50 rounds I know I got about 15 directly to the skull (5 hit me in the head back to back thought I was in the ring with Floyd Mayweather) 2 to the eye protection. One ejected so far left it was just ridiculous. About 10 high overhead.

So that's at least 28/50 that did not eject properly totally not acceptable. :steamed:

Only 50 shots because I got a little irritated with so much brass to the face.

Also what gets me is that my first 8 shots were dead center on my target, then I got 5 back to back to the head. This totally threw off my subsequent shot placement as I started flinching anticipating brass to the face.

I then asked the range master to borrow their G19 Gen 3 (which has been there for a long time) just to be sure that I wasn't limp wristing, sure enough I shot their's perfect, brass all went to the right between 3:00-4:00. Ruled out any chances of it being me.

This SHlT has got to get better.

I am definitely gonna call glock tomorrow. As I spent $500 for a brand new gun that should run flawless and it isn't. I shouldn't have to pay for a new extractor, ejector or anything BUT I will have to if necessary.

Sorry about the rant.

Glad your's is doing a lot better. Great report, keep us posted on how the weekend range outing goes.

12. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Just wanted to add that I detail stripped it tonight and after 400 rounds the new extractor shows virtually no signs of wear. I distinctly recall the original one and the warranty replacement one showed a lot of wear at about the same round count as high spots and seam marks wore in. I took a picture but it was too blurry from the garage lighting. Will detail strip again and see what it looks like after the next expedition and get a better pic. Can compare it to pre-firing from pic in my other thread.

Thanks

HK

13. SIGlock

SIGlock Millennium Member

Your logic is...NOT logically at all.:upeyes: