close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New 642/442 Pro Series No Internal Lock

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by fastbolt, Jan 2, 2010.

1. fastbolt

fastbolt

Didn't see if anyone had already listed it in another thread ...

New Products Section at S&W website:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...2&parent_category_rn=15701&top_category=15701

Looks like there are 2 new 642/442 models available without the ILS listed in addition to the earlier ones in the catalog, both of which are Pro Series Models with cylinders cut for Moon Clips. The standard 642/442's are are still listed in the full small frame revolver catalog section, and the new 642 2 1/2" model doesn't say anything about not having the ILS.

Standard Small frame revolver catalog section:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...1&parent_category_rn=15703&top_category=15703

Maybe there's going to be something to the rumors about the potential for some internal hammer models being offered sans ILS.

Guess we'll see how things go after the SHOT Show ...

2. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

The Safe-T-Hammer (there is no S&W any more -- it has been out of business for a long time) revolvers are an abomination.

Removing that @#$%ing internal lock is a step in the right direction, yes.

Now if Safe-T-Hammer would get its quality control under control, they might actually have something....

Meanwhile, I'll stick to the used gun case, where real S&W revolvers may still be found -- albeit at premium prices over the cost of current-production Safe-T-Hammer S&W clones.

(Safe-T-Hammer does not actually make revolvers -- it makes a $900 gun lock, that comes with a revolver-like device of dubious quality permanently attached -- no extra charge....)

-ET

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

I don't like the lock any more than the next guy but somsbody is a little high strung :wow:

4. ElevatedThreat

I coach at a local range.

If I had a dollar for every Safe-T-Hammer revolver I have seen actuate its internal lock all by itself during our IDPA matches, I'd have 3 dollars.

If I also had a buck for every Safe-T-Hammer revolver I have seen blow its barrel off recently from shooting factory ammo, right where it threads into the frame, I'd have 4 dollars more.

High strung? I think not.

Just rightfully disgusted, as yet another formerly great, uniquely American product -- the S&W double-action revolver -- goes down the crapper.....

-ET

5. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

I love my NO lock 442 great little gun. :cool:
    Regards
    DW

6. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Dude, I got screwed! Where was all this nice stuff three years ago when I bought my 642? I should have saved my money until now! A 642 with a 2+ inch barrel? Hell yes!

7. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Fastbolt,

I saw a USED 642 (barely used) sans the ISL, with case hardened trigger at a Pawn shop this week for $430. I was tempted to get it. It's a mirror immage to mine except I have the ISL. Even the exact style of roll marks on the barrel.

I see no use for the moon clip feature as a 5 shooter is not my idea of a speed loading champ anyway. I'd just carry a second revolver.

Might try to get it next week, but hey, I have several already!

Deaf

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  8. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yeah Deaf, I had my local cop shop order one of the limited production run 642-1's made from the older frame stock (the old SKU number). I liked my original 642-1 well enough that I wanted a spare. ;)

The thing is that I since I liked my 642-1 so much, and wanted to spare it a bit of range wear & tear, so I took to using my M&P 340 as my frequent 'range gun', thinking I'd try to start wearing it out. I started enjoying shooting the M&P 340 so much (with that nice, easily visible while plastic ring around the front night sight capsule) so that I eventually went to carrying it more often than either of my 642-1's. Go figure. Handy little 5-shot wheelgun. Just enough lighter than my 642-1's that I can feel the difference in my hand and in my pocket holster.

Been thinking about getting a model 42 to add to my Airweight CCW collection, too, although that nickel model 40 keeps catching my eye. I miss an older pinned & recessed nickel 3" M36 I stupidly sold to another cop many years ago. Maybe I'll end up getting both the 40 & 42. Can't have too many J-frames. ;)

As far as the new style S&W revolvers having more problems? Yes, no & maybe. Having seen so many folks bring them through qualification ranges I've been pleasantly surprised. Maybe the owners just haven't had enough time to let them be neglected or abuse them with improper cleaning practices as often seems to be the lot of many old style S&W wheeguns I see come through the range. Dunno.

Aside from a nice gouged slice around the yoke screw on my M&P 340 (annoying, but not critical in a 'working gun'), I decided the carry-up wasn't quite what I preferred. After an oversize hand didn't resolve the carry-up issue to my satisfaction I finally had to cut a new extractor for my M&P 340. The result was excellent (and I'm sure the factory would've done the same thing if I'd returned it under warranty instead of correcting it myself as an armorer).

On the other hand, all the rest of the new style J-frames I've checked over for folks have had excellent carry-up (figures I wouldn't have gotten one of those, doesn't it? :) ), and the ones I've test-fired have also demonstrated very good accuracy.

Lots of folks keep talking about the good old days of 'real' S&W revolvers ...

I keep thinking back to the days when older S&W revolvers required more hand-fitting and still came out of the box with problems. I sure had my share of them.

I miss some things about the old style revolvers, but I like more things about the new style revolvers, especially as an armorer. I also like how the currently manufactured repair parts are now being made to better tolerances for both old & new style revolvers. I found the story behind that interesting when I found out about it, but I won't bore anyone else with it since I only really started this thread to mention the new Pro Series No Lock 442/642's.

I wonder if the new 2 1/2" versions and the standard 442/642's will be offered without the ILS at some point, as well as the other Centennial models?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  9. UrbanCowboy

UrbanCowboy Koch Addict

I got a no lock 442 for Christmas. I was told that the 642 is still being made without the lock but the 442 isn't anymore. The classic line also do not have the ILS.

10. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I bought one of the new no-lock 442's to keep my old no-lock 342 company. Hopefully S&W starts cranking out some big bore wheelguns without locks. I'd throw money at them without reservation or shame if that ever happened. Maybe someday they'll start making quality big bores again. I hope so.

11. Fungunner

Fungunner

I got a 642 about a year ago, no lock. Great little lightweight. Fits very nice in a pocket. Doesn't cause the pants to ride down or make me walk to one side.

12. Kahrguy330

Kahrguy330 I don't believe

Thats good news about the 642/442, but when the HELL did S&W start offering the 627 with a 2 5/8" bbl(Bloodwork gun)????? I know I've been asking them to bring this one back. Woohoo I found my next gun!

13. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

Interesting, I check their new products occasionally, but it's been a while. I see they are offering J-frames in a longer 2 1/2" configuration (full length extractor), some 2 1/8" as well as the traditional 1 7/8". Also interesting they are now offering cut cylinders on "Pro" models! Also now apparently shipping with speed strips. It will be interesting to see where actual pricing is at on these.

Wow that 627 does look like a gem! I'm normally not a fan of unfluted cylinders, but for some reason that gun is sweet looking. Being a performance center gun, its too bad it doesn't say no internal lock....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  14. ElevatedThreat

You really have to wonder why they insist on that damn lock, since it pisses off their customer base and actually costs them sales from some people (like me) and probably does not gain them any sales on the other hand.

Plus it costs money to include it. More parts, more machining, more assembly.

Just omit the damn integral lock and include a Masterlock in the case with the gun, for locking through the frame with the cylinder open, for those who want to lock the thing up.

-ET

15. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

How many times have you posted this?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  16. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I don't know, but it's just as true every time he does.

17. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I have a 642 WITH a lock.......works for me!:whistling:
    Need to get some more coffee so I can keep up with ET.

18. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

The day after Thanksgiving, I bought a shiny brand new 642 without the lock. :)

19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Anybody have any pics or links describing what the 642 cut for moonclips looks like?

20. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

This is a glorious day!

The 642 Pro will be mine.